Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Article: 10-round Twins Mock

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 119 Times in 65 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: 10-round Twins Mock

Not enough college relievers, the twins are gonna probably pick up at least 6 in their first 10 picks

Jeremy an undertaking such as mocking a baseball draft is truly bold. I appreciate the work you put in and it was fun reading about some abilities of players drafted later. When does the 30 rounder come out!! LOL

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Monkeypaws's Avatar
    Liked 112 Times in 67 Posts
    Fun read as usual - thx

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 384 Times in 214 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Round 1 (Pick 5 - $3,851,000): SS Nick Gordon, Florida prep. While I'm not sure who will be on my final mock on Thursday morning at this spot, it's been a pretty consistent belief that Gordon would be the choice. There's no point in disputing that. Plus, the Twins would love to add a potential middle infielder. They'll take a prep SS (or more) every year in the first 15 rounds and this year isn't any different.
    The Twins have been in on Gordon for a little while now. But, Gordon's got a bunch of steam - Chris Crawford has him going 3rd overall, for example.

Did the Twins initially like Gordon because they believed he'd be a good underslot value? And how much is that still the case. In other words, would Gordon's camp even take an underslot offer anymore? (Do you know if the Twins have been in contact with Tom Gordon?) Or do the Twins just have Gordon at the top of their board?
    Last edited by Willihammer; 06-01-2014 at 11:42 PM.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 370 Times in 196 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Willihammer View Post
    The Twins have been in on Gordon for a little while now. But, Gordon's got a bunch of steam - Chris Crawford has him going 3rd overall, for example.

Did the Twins initially like Gordon because they believed he'd be a good underslot value? And how much is that still the case. In other words, would Gordon's camp even take an underslot offer anymore? (Do you know if the Twins have been in contact with Tom Gordon?) Or do the Twins just have Gordon at the top of their board?
    This is an interesting question because I do recall reading that Gordon was an option because he was willing to take a discount. That said, he's been a Top 10 guy all along, and as a HS guy, he can move up quickly in the spring and therefore, you can't help but wonder if he'd still take below slow at 5.. or if he has picked up enough steam that a team would consider taking him before 5 because he'd sign for below slot there?

It'll be interesting to see how it plays out. Without much clarity at the top of the draft boards, anything could happen. Should making listening to Jeremy and I in a live draft show from about 6-7 on Thursday night entertaining.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 374 Times in 232 Posts
    Great stuff, this should be fun.

Another name I believe the Twins are looking at for the #2 pick is Jake Stinnett. I like Reed though.

Think they will be able to go back-to-back HS kids? Gordon doesn't look to be the easy sign guy he did a month ago.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 563 Times in 368 Posts
    "dearth of outfielders" may be one the larger understatements on these forums this week.....I know you can "never have too much pitching", but it would be nice if every level had actual (if not really good) OF playing in the OF, and not a bunch of guys playing out of position (which has not only happend in MN).

I called for Gordon months ago, and I still hope that is the pick. But I'd be good with Touisant (sp?) and mabye Nola (maybe).

I have no interest in them continuing to try to make relievers into starters. They could just keep them as RP, and get them to the majors, and use their money on every day players and not the bullpen....

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    "dearth of outfielders" may be one the larger understatements on these forums this week.
    There are a few words to use to say "the Twins hardly have any outfielders". None are understating the fact that the Twins hardly have any outfielders.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 563 Times in 368 Posts
    I was agreeing with you, did you not take it that way?
    Lighten up Francis....

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Willihammer View Post
    Don't think that's why the Twins liked him. Do think that there was a realization - at that time - that there were four pitchers in their own tier and that the Twins could pick their pick of the second tier and pay him less (because he could fall otherwise). Hoffman's injury threw a wrench in the plans. Also, I think every team considering Jackson in the Top 4 muddied up the break between the two tiers.

There's always value in agreeing to an under-pick-value deal, because if you don't and slide, your chance to get the bonus decrease significantly. Gordon, though, won't get past 7, so his motivation to take less at 5 goes down.

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    I was agreeing with you, did you not take it that way?
    I took it that way.

I honestly don't know how they're playing extended games, cause there aren't even enough healthy outfielders there.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 803 Times in 506 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I like the idea of grabbing a bunch of high ceiling prep guys...

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 80 Times in 60 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post
    There are a few words to use to say "the Twins hardly have any outfielders". None are understating the fact that the Twins hardly have any outfielders.
    Let's look at some facts:

Cedar Rapids has 4 outfielders on the DL, so they surely have a current dearth. Zach Larson and JD Williams are both ranked by Seth, and are hurt, as are Jeremias Pineda and Zach Granite, who probably aren't "decent". The 3 healthy outfielders haven't been too bad: Jason Kanzler, Jonathan Murphy, and Ivory Thomas. Contrary to some opinions, none of these 7 outfielders are "playing out of position". I suppose a harsh critic could say that none of these guys are "decent".

Fort Myers? Anyone troubled by an outfield of top prospects Buxton, Walker, Kepler, and Travis Harrison? Sure, Rosario is "playing out of position" due to injuries to Buxton, Nate Roberts, Lance Ray, and others. You certainly can't describe this as a "dearth" and be fair about it, can you?

New Britain? Sure, things are less than ideal right this minute with Ortiz, Kvasnicka, and Wimberly playing, none top 40 prospects. But with Nate Roberts and Lance Ray playing in extended, and with Buxton and Walker eventually set for promotion, it's not like the Twins are to be faulted to a great extent here if one is fair.

Rochester has the kind of outfield one should expect for a AA team. Guys bouncing back and forth in the early stages of their MLB careers like Arcia, Herrmann, Hicks, Parmelee, and Cola. Granted, most of these guys are pretty bad fielders, and the loss of Presley and Maestro is glaring.

Still, I think if we compared our system to others, the outfield situation wouldn't seem deficient.

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    The starting CF in Rochester, Eric Farris, played a grand total of 0 games in CF before signing with the Twins organization last year. Only Ramirez and Rahl can be considered primary outfielders.

In New Britain, Corey Wimberly has already played 32 games in CF. He's likely to eclipse his career high sometime in the next 10 days. Last week, the Rock Cats played Tony Thomas and AJ Petterson in the outfield in the same game, neither should be in the outfield. Danny Ortiz and Mike Kvasnicka are really the only true outfielders on that roster.

Sure, there are more guys listed on the A-ball rosters that are outfielders, but with so many guys hurt, the guys that were being counted on to man the rookie-level leagues, can't be counted on to be there.

I have no idea how the system would compare to other teams. What I can tell you is how it compares to the system in the past and there is a lack in quantity (not quality) of outfielders that are able to play. That's the point I was trying to make.

Jerm,
    Would Prep RHP Spencer Adams be of interest to the Twins in Round 2 if he fell? I like what I hear about him. I like the idea of Stinnett in round 2 as well. I'll give you a nice name to keep an eye on for the later rounds ..maybe 10-15.. RHP JP Feyereisen from River Falls WI. He played his college ball at Stevens Point. Has a good frame and could profile well as a middle reliever. Plus I got a hit off him once playing summer town ball, so I'd like to say I got a hit off a major leaguer someday!

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jed54767 View Post
    Jerm,
    Would Prep RHP Spencer Adams be of interest to the Twins in Round 2 if he fell? I like what I hear about him. I like the idea of Stinnett in round 2 as well. I'll give you a nice name to keep an eye on for the later rounds ..maybe 10-15.. RHP JP Feyereisen from River Falls WI. He played his college ball at Stevens Point. Has a good frame and could profile well as a middle reliever. Plus I got a hit off him once playing summer town ball, so I'd like to say I got a hit off a major leaguer someday!
    Yeah, Adams and Reed are going to be in similar spots on the Twins board, from what I understand. There is just a higher expectation that Adams goes late in the first round or in the supplemental round.

Was the hit a swinging bunt or a high pop up that no one fielded?

Liked 87 Times in 54 Posts
    TR says they are going to draft a bunch of LHP's. I didn't see many on your list. Any thoughts?

Liked 80 Times in 60 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post
    I took it that way.

I honestly don't know how they're playing extended games, cause there aren't even enough healthy outfielders there.

There are/were at least ten outfielders up and down the system sitting out with injuries. There are plenty of outfielders available at extended.

The point I'm making is that there isn't a system-wide dearth of outfielders, just a very temporary shortage. mww was making it seem like a management foul-up, and it isn't. But the main point is that there is no reason for the Twins to emphasize outfielders in this draft more than they always do.

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottyB View Post
    TR says they are going to draft a bunch of LHP's. I didn't see many on your list. Any thoughts?
    They always are LHP heavy. But proportionally, they still take more RHPs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast