Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 81 to 91 of 91

Thread: The sarcastic Santana injury tweets

  1. #81
    Twins News Team MVP
    Posts
    6,729
    Like
    870
    Liked 847 Times in 543 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Hosken Bombo Disco View Post
    Thanks for the link WH to the Sports Show. Yeah Reusse is pretty teed at the Twins situation like a lot of other people.

    Also in the Sports Show, we learn from Sid that:

    - Love will be re-signing with the Timberwolves;
    - the NFL will be moving to London, Paris, and "other towns" in Europe;
    - the Vikings coaching staff will be rolling with Ponder as starting QB next season;
    - Mauer is not swinging well right now.

    Sid batting 1-4 last night
    But then, batting .250 is not a bad average for someone at age 94.

  2. This user likes jokin's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    Hosken Bombo Disco (06-02-2014)

  3. #82
    Twins News Team MVP
    Posts
    6,729
    Like
    870
    Liked 847 Times in 543 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiTownTwinsFan View Post
    And this has nothing to do with journalistic integrity? And it's a pertinent baseball discussion? If you want to wander down this path, this thread will be moved ... over that molehill mountain I mentioned earlier.
    I honestly have no idea what you're saying here. Those that cover Twins baseball, and how they cover it, is not pertinent baseball discussion....on an alternate Twins news and discussion site?

  4. #83
    Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,831
    Like
    176
    Liked 663 Times in 374 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    how about holding accountable, those who write for a living to basic standards of journalism?
    Using satire isn't against the code of journalism. You're not obligated to like it, but he's not expected to avoid it. You are on a crusade to be offended by a joke whereas he has no obligation not to offend your sensibilities while joking.

    There is no mistake here, just a joke. One you have sought to turn into a mountain of integrity problems from the outset.

  5. These 5 users like TheLeviathan's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    Beezer07 (06-02-2014), ChiTownTwinsFan (06-02-2014), diehardtwinsfan (06-03-2014), kblack1011 (06-02-2014), steve (06-03-2014)

  6. #84
    Quote Originally Posted by Hosken Bombo Disco View Post
    Thanks for the link WH to the Sports Show. Yeah Reusse is pretty teed at the Twins situation like a lot of other people.

    Also in the Sports Show, we learn from Sid that:

    - Love will be re-signing with the Timberwolves;
    - the NFL will be moving to London, Paris, and "other towns" in Europe;
    - the Vikings coaching staff will be rolling with Ponder as starting QB next season;
    - Mauer is not swinging well right now.

    Sid batting 1-4 last night
    Sid had a rough show last night. For the most part, Max handles him pretty well. I'm fine with Sid doing this for as long as he wants. He just needs a little help at this point.

    I'll miss him when he's gone. Its going to be quite the event when he passes away. I imagine it will be the top story for days, with 100's of his CPF's flying in. I hope Sid gets to see the new Vikings stadium before he's gone.

  7. #85
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Usingsatire isn't against the code of journalism. You're not obligated to like it, but he's not expected to avoid it. You are on a crusade to be offended by a joke whereas he has no obligation not to offend your sensibilities while joking.

    There is no mistake here, just a joke. One you have sought to turn into a mountain of integrity problems from the outset.
    Stated to perfection.

  8. #86
    Senior Member All-Star Thrylos's Avatar
    Posts
    4,172
    Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Like
    36
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    200
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    by the way, I remember hearing Brad Steil say in a radio interview that Buxton was hurt (the re-aggravation) sliding feet first (somehow) into home.
    There were eyewitnesses of that slide who said it was head first. Totally surprised to hear that from Steil (who I suspect was not there) after the fact
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

  9. #87
    Head Moderator MVP glunn's Avatar
    Posts
    5,077
    Like
    4,524
    Liked 716 Times in 380 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    When I first read Reusse's tweet, it conjured a very unhappy feeling. I care about Santana and it made me very concerned that his career might be interrupted. Reusse is a reporter and I assumed that he was being factual.

    My response to this is that Reusse should have been more sensitive to the possibility that people might take the tweet seriously. As some have observed, some context would have been better.

    My personal response is to just ignore Reusse for life. He can write what he wants, but I won't read it. If he apologizes, then I will reconsider.

    That said, I am concerned about the tone of some of the posts in this thread. Obviously, there is a range of opinions here, but we all need to be respectful of those with whom we completely disagree. I think that Reusse exercised poor judgment, but respect those who feel that his tweet constituted legitimate sarcasm. Let's lighten up here, or this thread will be closed.

  10. #88
    Owner MVP Seth Stohs's Avatar
    Posts
    6,508
    Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Like
    68
    Liked 378 Times in 200 Posts
    Blog Entries
    515
    Quote Originally Posted by glunn View Post
    When I first read Reusse's tweet, it conjured a very unhappy feeling. I care about Santana and it made me very concerned that his career might be interrupted. Reusse is a reporter and I assumed that he was being factual.

    My response to this is that Reusse should have been more sensitive to the possibility that people might take the tweet seriously. As some have observed, some context would have been better.

    My personal response is to just ignore Reusse for life. He can write what he wants, but I won't read it. If he apologizes, then I will reconsider.

    That said, I am concerned about the tone of some of the posts in this thread. Obviously, there is a range of opinions here, but we all need to be respectful of those with whom we completely disagree. I think that Reusse exercised poor judgment, but respect those who feel that his tweet constituted legitimate sarcasm. Let's lighten up here, or this thread will be closed.
    I think the context was some of Reusse's tweets previous to that one where he was talking about the Twins basically being soft and everything gets extra days off.

    Twitter is 140 characters. I'm a huge Reusse fan. I enjoy him telling it like it is sometimes, even when I don't agree, and often I do agree.

    But I do agree that this thread has been strange, a huge overreaction to about 120 characters on Twitter.

  11. This user likes Seth Stohs's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    steve (06-03-2014)

  12. #89
    Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,831
    Like
    176
    Liked 663 Times in 374 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by glunn View Post
    When I first read Reusse's tweet, it conjured a very unhappy feeling. I care about Santana and it made me very concerned that his career might be interrupted. Reusse is a reporter and I assumed that he was being factual.

    My response to this is that Reusse should have been more sensitive to the possibility that people might take the tweet seriously. As some have observed, some context would have been better.
    It is not up to him to provide that context. It was a tweet, so doing so is impossible to begin with. Expecting someone whose entire career has been one of biting commentary to advertise "THIS IS BITING COMMENTARY!" before every joking tweet is really unfair in addition to being really unrealistic.

    The real context was his surrounding tweets and decades of his approach to sports commentary. It's up to you the reader to inform yourself of context, not him. If your sensibilities are offended, that isn't his responsibility to avoid. But you are more than welcome to avoid him if you don't like his schtick.

    Calling out his integrity? That's completely uncalled for and indefensible.

  13. This user likes TheLeviathan's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    steve (06-03-2014)

  14. #90
    Head Moderator MVP glunn's Avatar
    Posts
    5,077
    Like
    4,524
    Liked 716 Times in 380 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    It is not up to him to provide that context. It was a tweet, so doing so is impossible to begin with. Expecting someone whose entire career has been one of biting commentary to advertise "THIS IS BITING COMMENTARY!" before every joking tweet is really unfair in addition to being really unrealistic.

    The real context was his surrounding tweets and decades of his approach to sports commentary. It's up to you the reader to inform yourself of context, not him. If your sensibilities are offended, that isn't his responsibility to avoid. But you are more than welcome to avoid him if you don't like his schtick.

    Calling out his integrity? That's completely uncalled for and indefensible.
    Levi, I understand your argument. It makes sense. However, I am not questioning his integrity. I am just saying that when I first read the tweet I felt really bad for Santana, because I was not aware that this was satire, and now I have zero desire to read anything more from Reusse.

    Maybe he could have provided context by adding a smiley face at the end? Is that possible with Twitter? Anyway, jokes suggesting a career threatening injury have no appeal to me, but if others find this humorous, then I have no problem with that.

  15. This user likes glunn's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    jokin (06-03-2014)

  16. #91
    Twins Moderator All-Star ChiTownTwinsFan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,819
    Twitter
    @Sheradoodles
    Like
    1,420
    Liked 1,929 Times in 1,131 Posts
    I think this topic of one little piece of satire has run its course. This thread is now closed for business.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.