Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: The sarcastic Santana injury tweets

Reusse explained himself pretty well on the Sports show tonight. He brought up the Arcia minor injury at the end of last year, his 8 day bout with food poisoning this spring, and then the wrist thing. Gardy doesn't put any pressure on these guys to play. They miss large stretches of games with minor stuff that most professionals play through. They're all too comfy. Who wants to play? I completely understand Reusse's frustration, and I applaud him poking fun at them.

2. This user likes Marta Shearing's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Hosken Bombo Disco (06-01-2014)

Senior Member All-Star Ultima Ratio's Avatar
    Liked 105 Times in 51 Posts
    Anyone suggested that Santana find a helmet that fits? Seems like a root cause to me.
    Man is born free, but everywhere he is in chains.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 384 Times in 214 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marta Shearing View Post
    Reusse explained himself pretty well on the Sports show tonight.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOM...bbrUeN0VNOfmpg

/plug

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 371 Times in 196 Posts
    Blog Entries
    by the way, I remember hearing Brad Steil say in a radio interview that Buxton was hurt (the re-aggravation) sliding feet first (somehow) into home.

I have zero problem with people sliding hands-first into the bases. I don't like it at first because it doesn't make you go faster, but don't have a problem with it at the other bases. The Santana injury was because he (like Nunez, Pinto and others) don't apparently want to wear helmets that fit and bounce or fly off when they run. Santana's injury was pretty fluky.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Kirby_Waved_At_Me's Avatar
    Liked 164 Times in 85 Posts
    My question is this, as I missed seeing this weekend's games - Is he at least allowed to rock a cool eyepatch on the bench?

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 461 Times in 290 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Reusse explained himself pretty well on the Sports show tonight. He brought up the Arcia minor injury at the end of last year, his 8 day bout with food poisoning this spring, and then the wrist thing. Gardy doesn't put any pressure on these guys to play. They miss large stretches of games with minor stuff that most professionals play through. They're all too comfy. Who wants to play? I completely understand Reusse's frustration, and I applaud him poking fun at them.
    To make fun of a career-threatening injury is in bad taste. And he's a moron if he thinks wrist problems are trifling injuries.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Liked 1,268 Times in 733 Posts
    Contrast the tweeting done by Mike Berardino and Patrick Reusse.

We have Reusse with his tweet:

Patrick Reusse @1500ESPN_Reusse 20h

Danny Santana headed for 60-day w/ eyelid cut? @LaVelleNeal

And then LEN3's follow-up:

LaVelle E. Neal IIIVerified account‏@LaVelleNeal 20h

Dr. Andrews to perform eyelid replacement surgery RT @1500ESPN_Reusse: Danny Santana headed for 60-day w/ eyelid cut? @LaVelleNeal

On the other hand, we have Berardino:

Mike Berardino @MikeBerardino 22h

Twinsights: Late-arriving Josmil Pinto gets "the treatment" from #mntwins teammates ...

Mike Berardino‏@MikeBerardino 17h

Talked to Josmil Pinto about previous note. Only reason he was late: Cab driver took him to Citi Field instead of Yankee Stadium. It happens

Mike Berardino @MikeBerardino 17h

My apologies to Josmil Pinto, his fans and his family for any confusion I may have caused. Being late wasn't the point. Light humor was.

Mike Berardino @MikeBerardino 16h

Updated Twinsights: Wayward taxi driver takes Josmil Pinto to a stadium in the wrong borough. #MNTwinshttp://blogs.twincities.com/twins/2014/06/

Will we see an apology or explanation today from Reusse to Santana or to people who may have misinterpreted his tweet?

I doubt it. "Journalists" and bloggers need to understand that there should be a distinction between what they tweet on something that reflects their profession (in this case, the tweet came from @1500ESPN_Reusse) than from something they might tweet on a personal account. Higher standards should apply on the professional account.

Reusse should issue an apology/explanation.

Liked 26 Times in 16 Posts
    I think the summary of this post is that no one should write words. From now on when you write, don't use words.

Twins Moderator All-Star ChiTownTwinsFan's Avatar
    Twitter
    @Sheradoodles
    Liked 1,905 Times in 1,114 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    Contrast the tweeting done by Mike Berardino and Patrick Reusse.

We have Reusse with his tweet:

Patrick Reusse @1500ESPN_Reusse 20h

Danny Santana headed for 60-day w/ eyelid cut? @LaVelleNeal

And then LEN3's follow-up:

LaVelle E. Neal IIIVerified account‏@LaVelleNeal 20h

Dr. Andrews to perform eyelid replacement surgery RT @1500ESPN_Reusse: Danny Santana headed for 60-day w/ eyelid cut? @LaVelleNeal

On the other hand, we have Berardino:

Mike Berardino @MikeBerardino 22h

Twinsights: Late-arriving Josmil Pinto gets "the treatment" from #mntwins teammates ...

Mike Berardino‏@MikeBerardino 17h

Talked to Josmil Pinto about previous note. Only reason he was late: Cab driver took him to Citi Field instead of Yankee Stadium. It happens

Mike Berardino @MikeBerardino 17h

My apologies to Josmil Pinto, his fans and his family for any confusion I may have caused. Being late wasn't the point. Light humor was.

Mike Berardino @MikeBerardino 16h

Updated Twinsights: Wayward taxi driver takes Josmil Pinto to a stadium in the wrong borough. #MNTwinshttp://blogs.twincities.com/twins/2014/06/

Will we see an apology or explanation today from Reusse to Santana or to people who may have misinterpreted his tweet?

I doubt it. "Journalists" and bloggers need to understand that there should be a distinction between what they tweet on something that reflects their profession (in this case, the tweet came from @1500ESPN_Reusse) than from something they might tweet on a personal account. Higher standards should apply on the professional account.

Reusse should issue an apology/explanation.
    I like your compare and contrast. And, for the record, I didn't like the 'joke' tweets at all, either. But as Chief so eloquently put it ... "Well, to each his own ..." (And yes, he should have said 'his/her' own). And, further on the record, I am not a Reusse fan at all, either. And while it's everyone's right to question journalistic integrity, I don't think doing it over a 'joke' gone awry for some is the place for it. It was a joke. Whether we thought it good or bad, right or wrong, I think we're getting off track a bit and should have this 'journalistic integrity' discussion elsewhere.

11. This user likes ChiTownTwinsFan's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

USAFChief (06-02-2014)

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 847 Times in 543 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiTownTwinsFan View Post
    I like your compare and contrast. And, for the record, I didn't like the 'joke' tweets at all, either. But as Chief so eloquently put it ... "Well, to each his own ..." (And yes, he should have said 'his/her' own). And, further on the record, I am not a Reusse fan at all, either. And while it's everyone's right to question journalistic integrity, I don't think doing it over a 'joke' gone awry for some is the place for it. It was a joke. Whether we thought it good or bad, right or wrong, I think we're getting off track a bit and should have this 'journalistic integrity' discussion elsewhere.
    I'd be interested in hearing what you think is "on track." What JB_Iowa has posted got right to the heart of the matter to the entire thread- as "on track" as one could possibly be. The phrase- "To each his own" applies in the sense of "good joke/bad joke" and one's sense of humor in that regard. But in this case with respect to the original intent of the thread, "To each his own" doesn't apply, the point of the thread was in witnessing a journalist letting his zealous righteousness of what he feels is going wrong with the Twins, to convey "information" under the company banner impulsively and recklessly, thereby interfering with his journalistic obligations to convey the facts and/or editorialize with the proper context.

Berardino got it right for when a journalist makes a mistake, LEN and Patrick, not so much.

Twitter
    @Sheradoodles
    On track ... meaning ... baseball discussion in a baseball forum. If you want to try and tie it to this being Reusse's way of calling out the Twins, or a discussion in Twins reporting, then go there with it, and back it up with more than this one instance. But to get into a discussion on journalistic integrity, we can move it to a different forum, and go from there. I'm not saying it's an uninteresting topic, but it's getting a bit away from Twins discussion. So that's what I meant by 'on track.' And your question and my explanation doesn't help matters. And there is a little 'mountain out of a mole hill' going on here, too. And that from me, who didn't like the little 'joke' any more than you.
    Last edited by ChiTownTwinsFan; 06-02-2014 at 02:01 PM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 271 Times in 195 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Guys... it's Reusse being sarcastic about Twins injuries... there's absolutely nothing to it.
    I am guessing LEN didn't feel the need to come out and say it was a joke, given Dr. Andrews performed eyelid replacement surgery. I find this very funny

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 659 Times in 371 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by scottz View Post
    I think the summary of this post is that no one should write words. From now on when you write, don't use words.
    Henceforth, in an effort to make sure no one is offended ever about anything, we must all communicate like Ned Flanders. All jokes, satire, sarcasm, wit, euphemisms, and otherwise entertaining chatter is hereby banned under pain of death.

Additionally, this will ensure journalistic integrity. (As long as you overlook "doodly" as improper use of the English language)

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Danny Santana is back in the lineup tonight, playing CF, and batting 8th in the order.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tobi0040 View Post
    I am guessing LEN didn't feel the need to come out and say it was a joke, given Dr. Andrews performed eyelid replacement surgery. I find this very funny
    Except that joking about an injury that threatens a hitters' potential livelihood being ended is rarely funny.

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 488 Times in 285 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Danny Santana is back in the lineup tonight, playing CF, and batting 8th in the order.
    …which is a funnier joke than the original "60-day eyelid" joke...

19. This user likes Hosken Bombo Disco's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

jokin (06-02-2014)

Why so serious? Just because you have a headache doesn't make it a tumor.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Henceforth, in an effort to make sure no one is offended ever about anything, we must all communicate like Ned Flanders. All jokes, satire, sarcasm, wit, euphemisms, and otherwise entertaining chatter is hereby banned under pain of death.

Additionally, this will ensure journalistic integrity. (As long as you overlook "doodly" as improper use of the English language)
    Or instead of a "burn the witch!" approach to ensuring journalistic integrity (which I don't think anyone has advocated in this thread- thus another strawman hereby debunked), how about holding accountable, those who write for a living to basic standards of journalism? Done simply by those of us in the public, in noting when they make a mistake. Or some like the Pioneer Press scribe with an identical job, who seems perfectly capable of holding himself accountable (or perhaps he has an editor who gave him a gentle nudge). And then they can use jokes, satire, et al, to their heart's content and everyone will be better off for reading their otherwise entertaining chatter.

Twitter
    @Sheradoodles
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Or instead of a "burn the witch!" approach to ensuring journalistic integrity (which I don't think anyone has advocated in this thread- thus another strawman hereby debunked), how about holding accountable, those who write for a living to basic standards of journalism? Done simply by those of us in the public, in noting when they make a mistake. Or some like the Pioneer Press scribe with an identical job, who seems perfectly capable of holding himself accountable (or perhaps he has an editor who gave him a gentle nudge). And then they can use jokes, satire, et al, to their heart's content and everyone will be better off for reading their otherwise entertaining chatter.
    And this has nothing to do with journalistic integrity? And it's a pertinent baseball discussion? If you want to wander down this path, this thread will be moved ... over that molehill mountain I mentioned earlier.

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 488 Times in 285 Posts
    Reusse explained himself pretty well on the Sports show tonight.
    Thanks for the link WH to the Sports Show. Yeah Reusse is pretty teed at the Twins situation like a lot of other people.

Also in the Sports Show, we learn from Sid that:

- Love will be re-signing with the Timberwolves;
    - the NFL will be moving to London, Paris, and "other towns" in Europe;
    - the Vikings coaching staff will be rolling with Ponder as starting QB next season;
    - Mauer is not swinging well right now.

Sid batting 1-4 last night

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast