Twins Contributor Big-Leaguer Cody Christie's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: The Only Prescription is Less Kubel

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think that Kubel is not taking the bat off Pinto's or Willingham's hands. Arcia and Parmelee are his main competitors and I think that at this point he is behind both of them. Potentially he is behind Herrmann as well... When Fuld returns the Santana vs. Kubel debate should begin because if Fuld replaces Santana, there is only Nunez as an infielder on the bench, and the days both him and Escobar start, nobody...

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 288 Times in 146 Posts
    Good article. I agree with everything you said except Chris Collabello. Great story, really nice guy, but he's the RH version of Kubel--hot start, nothing since then.

Liked 61 Times in 48 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I wonder if a DL trip and minor league rehabilitation assignment might help Kubel get back on track. Otherwise it is about time to say good bye. I don't say much about Kubel or Hicks because they still have decent enough on base percentage and that contributes something on offense. But Kubel has been terrible for an extended period now and doesn't seem to be able to make the adjustments necessary. I guess we could also just designate Kubel for assignment and see if he is willing to go to AAA for a while.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 42 Times in 32 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think Nunez should be squeezed out and Santana should stay. He's the future, and giving these young guys a feeling of camaraderie this year will help them perhaps win championships in a couple of years. Nunez is going nowhere, he's a stopgap measure all the way. And, of course, Kubel's time of designation, sadly, is coming very soon.

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 493 Times in 288 Posts
    I think baseball needs an axe man like in football.

I think Gardy would have a really tough time breaking the news to Kubel personally, but my understanding is it's the managers job to do that.

No reason at all for Kubel or Nunez to be here or even on the 40 man roster. Pinto needs ABs. These two guys are taking them. DFA Kubel when Fuld is healthy. Keep Nunez for now as a backup in case of more injuries--until somebody in the minors earns a shot. Meanwhile DFA Matty G and bring up May.

Liked 401 Times in 264 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    I think that Kubel is not taking the bat off Pinto's or Willingham's hands. Arcia and Parmelee are his main competitors and I think that at this point he is behind both of them. Potentially he is behind Herrmann as well... When Fuld returns the Santana vs. Kubel debate should begin because if Fuld replaces Santana, there is only Nunez as an infielder on the bench, and the days both him and Escobar start, nobody...
    I think Kubel takes the most at-bats away from Pinto. Parms is going to spell Willingham in the OF, but that's far less frequent than that of Kubel DHing.

With as often as Santana has played CF this year and the situation the position is in, I'm with TheGrin, it might be Hicks vs. Kubel with Santana primary CF and Fuld 4th OF. Barring injury, if Escobar and Nunez starts Plouffe is on the bench or DHing, in a pinch move Santana from CF to IF and put in Fuld. Personally I'd rather it be Kubel vs Hermann/Fryer.

As little as Pinto has played lately, I'm ready to give Gardy his third catcher safety blanket. It's dumb, but I would rather Hermann or Fryer rot on the bench than Pinto.

i think Fuld becomes activated, Hicks goes to AAA, Santana becomes primary CF with Fuld as 4th OF. DFA Kubel, bring up Fryer. Lineup could look like this.

Dozier 2b
    Escobar SS
    Mauer 1b
    Willingham LF
    Arcia RF
    Plouffe 3b
    Pinto DH
    Suzuki C
    Santana CF

Parmelee reserve 1b/corner OF
    Nunez reserve IF
    Fryer reserve C
    Fuld 4th OF

it'll give Gardy a good hitting lineup, flexible bench, the safety blanket, and an ok hitting bench as well. Pinto can spell Suzuki behind the plate and if the once a decade pinch at catcher happens, a Fryer is there without losing DH. That's what's happening now, right? Pinto is rotting on the bench because Gardy is afraid to lose his DH.

9. This user likes Sconnie's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

LaBombo (06-01-2014)

Liked 3,187 Times in 1,365 Posts
    The person most responsible for taking ABs away from Pinto is Ron Gardenhire.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

11. This user likes USAFChief's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (06-01-2014)

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 827 Times in 520 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I want Parmelee and Pinto playing every day. Kubel is getting in the way of that and has not been good for a while. Kubel's role right now should probably be a pinch hitter, and that's assuming that a reasonable amount of rest will make him competent. This is one of many things that really annoys me about Gardy, and the main reason why I didn't want him around this year. Parms and Pinto need to be in the line up most days, with the occasional rest day.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 42 Times in 28 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Kubel & Collabello gave the lineup some really great depth to start the season when it was desperately needed. Great stories that unfortunately didn't last.

Arcia and Willingham have come back at the perfect time, hopefully Hammer doesn't fade as these two have.

Liked 61 Times in 48 Posts
    Blog Entries
    After going 4 for 4 today Kubel now has a .377 strikeout average (57K's in 151 AB). That's a pretty dominating performance by Kubel. Not too many players can strikeout that much.

15. These 2 users like Brandon's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

LaBombo (06-01-2014), Ultima Ratio (06-01-2014)

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,299 Times in 525 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    After going 4 for 4 today Kubel now has a .377 strikeout average (57K's in 151 AB). That's a pretty dominating performance by Kubel. Not too many players can strikeout that much.
    He moved into a 2nd place tie with Mark Reynolds for 'best' strikeout rate in the league.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 540 Times in 350 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I thought Kubel was done in spring training. He played surprisingly well, both at bat and in the field, early in April, but has been in free fall for a while now.

Bremer called his BA a soft .230. When an announcer, who works for the team bails on a player, they are probably done.

18. This user likes stringer bell's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

LaBombo (06-01-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 149 Times in 78 Posts
    Kubel is done. It couldn't be more painfully obvious. DFA him and get a 3rd catcher up here so Gardy will play Pinto.

Liked 1,681 Times in 840 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by howeda7 View Post
    Kubel is done. It couldn't be more painfully obvious. DFA him and get a 3rd catcher up here so Gardy will play Pinto.
    Thanks to a late flurry of playing time, Pinto averaged one plate appearance per day over the last two weeks of May. Will be the first to admit that my fear that the Suzuki signing would empower Gardy to ignore Pinto was totally unfounded.

And when even fans who don't believe in three catchers want a third catcher to modify the behavior of the manager, well... new manager.

Or maybe they just need more Cowabello...
    Last edited by LaBombo; 06-01-2014 at 09:25 PM.

Liked 85 Times in 63 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by usafchief View Post
    the person most responsible for taking abs away from pinto is ron gardenhire.
    bingo!!!!

Member Rookie
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    I say keep whoever is contributing that means both Nunez and Santana and out with Kubel.

Maybe there is something to Gardy's reliance on veterans were he does wear out these thirty something's. Kubel was going pretty good and Gardy played him a lot. He got a multi year contract play the young guys. I like Nunez's bat and would keep him around. Play the guys that are producing. A shorter leash

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 149 Times in 78 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LaBombo View Post
    Thanks to a late flurry of playing time, Pinto averaged one plate appearance per day over the last two weeks of May. Will be the first to admit that my fear that the Suzuki signing would empower Gardy to ignore Pinto was totally unfounded.

And when even fans who don't believe in three catchers want a third catcher to modify the behavior of the manager, well... new manager.

Or maybe they just need more Cowabello...
    A new manager isn't happening at least for 6 weeks. Until then, having Hermann over Kubel or Collabello is of no great consequence and gets Pinto into the lineup.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast