Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Blake DeWitt DFA'd

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 145 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries

Blake DeWitt DFA'd

Reports state the Cubs dfa'd Blake DeWitt to add Travis Wood to the roster today.

DeWitt is a 26 year old left handed batting 2B-3B. His career OPS is essentially a match for Valencia, although Valencia's is shaded by his very high BABIP his rookie year. His defense at 3B was respectable in his rookie season with the Dodgers. Since then he has seen much more time at 2B. He is a year younger than Valencia.

I am not sure if it is an upgrade but it might be worth a shot. I guess he could profile as a Luke Hughes type. His experience at 3B and his left handed bat may give him more value than Hughes to a bench. Platoon option?

Who would he replace? Do we really need 13 pitchers? How about Jeff Gray?

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Dewitt would be a useful pickup for the Twins so thanks for the notification. If Clete Thomas and Erik Komatsu are worth a shot, I would think Blake Dewitt is. I think he would have to replace Butera (unlikely, but possible). Because according to the Twins, yes, yes you do really need 13 pitchers.

I wouldn't mind seeing the Twins pick him up. While I hate to give up on Valencia already, I think it's becoming increasingly clear that he is not a starting third baseman in this league. The Twins need to at least try to find a competent player to fill in at third until Sano is ready for the big leagues. Is DeWitt that guy? Who knows. What we do know is that Valencia probably isn't.

personally not a fan......rather roll w/Danny & hope he improves

These are opportunities...even Clete was one...if you have the roster spots you can pick up guys that don't have a place in an organization because they are an extra part. The flipside is that if there are truly better than average, he can be traded for a 3-4 year minor league prospect or a veteran need.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Grab him and dump Plouffe. He can't hit, he's not great defensively anywhere, and we've got plenty of guys we can bring up to play sub-par OF defense with sub-par bats. A guy like this could help take a bit of the pressure off Dozier (i.e. if Dozier doesn't click, he'll be able to go back to AAA for more work instead of being stuck struggling up here) and help keep Burroughs and Nishi in AAA until they figure out how to be Major League players

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
    No reason not to try him. Let a pitcher go.