Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suspension over, Rosario starts his first game...in center

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 280 Times in 152 Posts

Suspension over, Rosario starts his first game...in center

The 50-game suspension has been served, and former top 2b prospect started his first game in months. But it was in CF, not at 2b. This is very telling to me on two different fronts. One, it seems to me to be a commitment to Brian Dozier at 2b. I like this. I see Dozier as a Jeter-like player, the kind of guy who contributes to a team beyond his skill level. I hope he is our second baseman for another decade.

Second, it's an admission of the terrible job this club has done with CF, and continuing concerns about Aaron Hicks. We need depth at CF, and maybe Rosario's future is backing up Buxton or playing a corner outfield spot.

Liked 1,285 Times in 742 Posts
    I don't think one game constitutes much of an admission of anything.

We need to wait and see how this plays out over a more significant period of time.

3. These 2 users like JB_Iowa's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Beezer07 (05-30-2014), gunnarthor (05-30-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post

We need to wait and see how this plays out over a more significant period of time.
    True, JB. But I would have been surprised if he had started the 2013 season in center...it's early, but it seems to foreshadow a change.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 287 Times in 145 Posts

There is no place for nuance and patience on a blog, sir!

But seriously, I agree with you. I don't read much into many things for a couple reasons. First, it's boring to me. Second, it's depressing to me. Third, it's an awful lot of work and feels like trying to prove a conspiracy.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 287 Times in 145 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by longstrangetrip View Post
    True, JB. But I would have been surprised if he had started the 2013 season in center...it's early, but it seems to foreshadow a change.
    Sure, it's something to watch and keep an eye on. But I don't believe that one game foreshadows anything.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Would you guys have found it interesting he was on the mound in his first game?

8. This user likes longstrangetrip's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Riverbrian (05-30-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by longstrangetrip View Post
    Would you guys have found it interesting he was on the mound in his first game?
    It's really not a question of interest but of seeing it as something predictive -- or rather, of trying to draw conclusions from a minuscule sample size.

I wasn't surprised to see them start him in CF (especially given the current CF situation). I also won't be surprised to see them play him at 2nd.

10. This user likes JB_Iowa's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Sconnie (05-30-2014)

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    I think he'll play both 2B and OF.....and I think that sort of makes sense (I would prefer he just move to CF full time, unless they will consider moving Dozier to SS). Either way, glad he is playing again.
    Lighten up Francis....

12. This user likes mike wants wins's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Sconnie (05-30-2014)

Liked 397 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It's really not a question of interest but of seeing it as something predictive -- or rather, of trying to draw conclusions from a minuscule sample size.

I wasn't surprised to see them start him in CF (especially given the current CF situation). I also won't be surprised to see them play him at 2nd.
    It's predictive in the same vein as Santana in CF, in context with Hicks' issues and admission, as well as Buxton's lingering injury and Hermann's CF duties. In isolation it's just a dot, but 3 dots is the start of a trend

The quickest path to the Twins major league roster is through center field. Even if he cannot remain in center, the current corner outfielders do not have a firm grip on their positions beyond this year. Willingham and Kubel are only under contract through this year, Parmalee is a waiver wire / dfa candidate, Santana and Nunez are shortstops playing out of position and Fuld and Hicks are 4th outfielder candidates. Buxton is probably a year behind Rosario due to his injury, so he shouldn't have to split playing time at any level of the system as long as he doesn't have a setback himself. The outfielders in the higher levels of the system don't appear to be blocking anyone from advancing. Looking at the Twins roster, I could entirely picture a scenario where the Twins sign three free agent outfielders this off season. There are no outfielders currently on the roster that I would shed a tear over losing for nothing.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 852 Times in 548 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DuluthFan View Post
    The quickest path to the Twins major league roster is through center field. Even if he cannot remain in center, the current corner outfielders do not have a firm grip on their positions beyond this year. Willingham and Kubel are only under contract through this year, Parmalee is a waiver wire / dfa candidate, Santana and Nunez are shortstops playing out of position and Fuld and Hicks are 4th outfielder candidates. Buxton is probably a year behind Rosario due to his injury, so he shouldn't have to split playing time at any level of the system as long as he doesn't have a setback himself. The outfielders in the higher levels of the system don't appear to be blocking anyone from advancing.

Looking at the Twins roster, I could entirely picture a scenario where the Twins sign three free agent outfielders this off season. There are no outfielders currently on the roster that I would shed a tear over losing for nothing.
    Pretty excellent take overall.* There was a method to the Twins madness when they pushed Rosario to 2nd in the first place- his bat appears to play best either at 2nd or CF rather than corner OF, but it's uncertain if his glove can play at either of the 2 premium defensive spots. 2nd base has solidified at the major league level....and CF....which was a position of strength, up and down the entire organization in 2012.... is now in utter chaos.

*Re:..."no current outfielders to shed tears over".....Oswaldo Arcia is still a keeper in my book.....until he proves himself too Delmonesque in the field to then be relegated to the DH role. Certainly, rather than lose him for nothing, he would bring a strong return in trade.

Quote Originally Posted by DuluthFan View Post
    The quickest path to the Twins major league roster is through center field. Even if he cannot remain in center, the current corner outfielders do not have a firm grip on their positions beyond this year. Willingham and Kubel are only under contract through this year, Parmalee is a waiver wire / dfa candidate, Santana and Nunez are shortstops playing out of position and Fuld and Hicks are 4th outfielder candidates. Buxton is probably a year behind Rosario due to his injury, so he shouldn't have to split playing time at any level of the system as long as he doesn't have a setback himself. The outfielders in the higher levels of the system don't appear to be blocking anyone from advancing. Looking at the Twins roster, I could entirely picture a scenario where the Twins sign three free agent outfielders this off season. There are no outfielders currently on the roster that I would shed a tear over losing for nothing.
    I'd shed a tear over losing Arcia.

17. This user likes Mike Frasier Law's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

twinsfan34 (05-30-2014)

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sconnie View Post
    It's predictive in the same vein as Santana in CF, in context with Hicks' issues and admission, as well as Buxton's lingering injury and Hermann's CF duties. In isolation it's just a dot, but 3 dots is the start of a trend
    And we can add historical dots, like Dozier solidifying 2nd. And Rosario reversing his trend from CF-only in 2011, part-time CF/mostly 2B in 2012, full-time only 2B in 2013...to first game in 2014 in CF (and considering the MI logjam at Ft Myers). Maybe nothing as JB suggests, but if more dots are added, first in Ft Myers, and then, where he can have his pick of positions in NB, we'll start filling in the matrix.

Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Maybe nothing as JB suggests, but if more dots are added, first in Ft Myers, and then, where he can have his pick of positions in NB, we'll start filling in the matrix.
    I don't know if its nothing .... or something. We'll know more down the road.

And what has happened with the deluge of injuries (and other factors) in CF is a reminder that there's very little certainty.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer amjgt's Avatar
    Liked 165 Times in 95 Posts
    Normally I would agree with the "it's just one game" crowd, but the fact that it was his FIRST game back, and with the context of the current CF situation at the big league level, I think it is a huge deal.

On July 1st 2014 who would you rather have playing CF? Danny Santana or Eddie Rosario?

Hey, I love what Danny Santana has done so far for our Minnesota Twins, but with those two choices, I pick Rosario.

What's crazy is that I'm not even sure how far fetched this hypothetical situation is. The thing that probably makes it the most far fetched is the Twins probable reluctance to "reward" Rosario at all this year.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    I don't know if its nothing .... or something. We'll know more down the road.

And what has happened with the deluge of injuries (and other factors) in CF is a reminder that there's very little certainty.
    Didn't mean to put words in your post that weren't there, my bad. The fact that the Miracle has established guys in their infield might be all this is, but I would operate on the assumption (until proven different), that Rosario is a priority minor league prospect over Vielma as the first future potential 2nd Baseman behind Dozier- or in the other instance- for anyone else currently on active duty in the entire Twins mnor league system in CF, if Rosario plays in CF for the duration of his tenure in Ft Myers, and then right away when he reaches NB, we'll have more definitive certainty.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by amjgt View Post
    Normally I would agree with the "it's just one game" crowd, but the fact that it was his FIRST game back, and with the context of the current CF situation at the big league level, I think it is a huge deal.

On July 1st 2014 who would you rather have playing CF? Danny Santana or Eddie Rosario?

Hey, I love what Danny Santana has done so far for our Minnesota Twins, but with those two choices, I pick Rosario.

What's crazy is that I'm not even sure how far fetched this hypothetical situation is. The thing that probably makes it the most far fetched is the Twins probable reluctance to "reward" Rosario at all this year.
    You are onto something, here. At first blush, the Twins Way would almost demand that Rosario be punished for his 2nd offense transgression. But, does Hicks' performance, refusal to go to winter ball, public reprimand for work habits, and most recently the switch-hitting bombshell, override any concern about how to proceed with Rosario?

It's hard to imagine that Rosario would be ready to face major league pitching by July 1- Santana obviously has the edge at the plate, but there's no doubt Rosario would be a better CF than Santana. Pick your poison.

Twitter
    @Trimbletj
    Liked 48 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It's an interesting theory regarding Rosario and the Twins immediate CF needs...

I'll just point out that the Miracle have been playing Max Kepler out of position (CF) for nearly the whole season - so it's not a huge surprise that they'd run Rosario out there when given the first opportunity. That allows Kepler to move to his natural position (corner OF) and helps get Rosario in the lineup.

It'll be interesting to see how the Miracle play Rosario as the weeks go on.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Isn't Michael hurt, though? I actually thought he'd play 2B at first.......
    Lighten up Francis....

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by iTwins View Post
    It's an interesting theory regarding Rosario and the Twins immediate CF needs...

I'll just point out that the Miracle have been playing Max Kepler out of position (CF) for nearly the whole season - so it's not a huge surprise that they'd run Rosario out there when given the first opportunity. That allows Kepler to move to his natural position (corner OF) and helps get Rosario in the lineup.

It'll be interesting to see how the Miracle play Rosario as the weeks go on.
    Hopefully, it's not much more than a couple weeks, max, with the Miracle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast