Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Article: Should we be worried about Ricky Nolasco?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Brad Swanson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @Bridman77
    Liked 56 Times in 29 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Should we be worried about Ricky Nolasco?

Works on contingency? No, money down!
    Kevin Slowey was Framed!

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Kirby_Waved_At_Me's Avatar
    Liked 167 Times in 88 Posts
    That's a good point - BABIP can tell us a bit about the defense behind a pitcher - The other rate stats for May seem to be creeping back towards his career averages, but if the BABIP stays up, it might be due to some bad outfield defense. It's not an error in the boxscore if the fielder was no where near the ball - or are slow getting the ball back in to the infield.
    Bad luck, or bad Defense, either way Nolasco has been getting the short end of the stick.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    I think this is an important question, that I have no idea what the answer is. I hope he and Twins figure it out soonish....
    Lighten up Francis....

4. This user likes mike wants wins's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

JB_Iowa (05-30-2014)

I want to live in your world too! Shirtless cat pizza...

Twitter
    @crarko
    Liked 782 Times in 411 Posts
    Does he have automatic weapons?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 40 Times in 26 Posts
    Couldn't hit the glove in April. Suzuki set up inside and Nolasco was outside. I haven't watched him lately. I assume this has improved.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
    I have been worried about how he would perform since the day he was signed and I would imagine many others were also just from judging his trace record. Sign in, please.

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 341 Times in 167 Posts
    He hasn't been as bad as Jason Marquis so we have that.

His margin of error is narrow. He's been stable and reliable, but not especially effective throughout his career. So, yeah, we should be worried about Ricky Nolasco because he's Ricky Nolasco and he pitches like Ricky Nolasco.

The numbers are bearing that out. He's pitching like he pitches and the results will vary from kinda bad to kinda good.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 820 Times in 515 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I hate calling these luck. This is about adjustments. More likely, he's doing something different allowing batters to square up on him better. Hopefully, he figures it out so that those numbers drop.

Senior Member Triple-A Paul Pleiss's Avatar
    Twitter
    @baseballpirate
    Liked 97 Times in 66 Posts
    Blog Entries
    NoLOLasco is having a problem, somewhere, somehow. Maybe he's got a phantom groin injury like Big Pelf, but something's not right and it's not just the temperature, he got rocked down in the Trop in Tampa. BABIP may be part of it, but he's giving up a lot of hard hit balls, coupled with some bad plays defensively. A couple hits get correctled called errors and his ERA is better, but it doesn't solve his problems.

I still like the Nolasco signing, was really happy when it happened. He's got YEARS left on his contract, the twins can and should give him a long leash. Hopefully he "figures it out." Whatever that means.

I have nothing intelligent to say about Nolasco, but I am agitated at this very moment, and I was on Tuesday and last weekend watching the SF games when players are put in positions they are not prepared for. I consider myself extremely inexperienced in understanding baseball, but even a newbie like me can see that it takes skill to read a fly ball or one that bounces off the wall, etc., and that being the case, why would you put Santana in center and then essentially allow him to fail? I know I know it's because there is no other CF'er, but come on. Nolasco may have his problems pitching, but he is getting no support from Gardenhire when he puts players in positions they have no business playing. Personally, I think this is a crappy thing to do to.
    Okay. I feel better getting that off my chest. Thank you all for letting me vent. No one in my family cares to hear my rants.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 37 Times in 31 Posts
    There is a premise as a team the poor defense was the cause of BABIP going up. As a staff BABIP this year is no worse than last year at this point. Can't blame the current defense. Can't blame Gardenhire.

the defense was not so hot last year, either, though...

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 37 Times in 31 Posts
    .299 for 2010
    .298 for 2009
    .301 for 2008
    .301 for 2007
    .302 for 2006

.304 for 2014 (to date)
    .311 for 2013
    .296 for 2012
    .310 for 2011

not sure why you started with 4 years ago, but this more recent data supports your argument as well.

Nolasco's BABip is .350 , well above the rest of the team. He also leads the team in HRs Allowed and Walks, which aren't counted in BABip, but are likewise sources for concern.

He pitched well against the Yankees. I think that league average is about what he brings to the table.

Liked 1,295 Times in 749 Posts
    Apparently we should be worried about Nolasco and Gardenhire didn't mince many words:

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    Apparently we should be worried about Nolasco and Gardenhire didn't mince many words:
    Gardy can say what he wants to say, but I'd point the finger at the pitching coach, before I point it at Nolasco...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member All-Star Bark's Lounge's Avatar
    Liked 507 Times in 198 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You have to take some chances sometimes, and that is what the Twins did. It certainly is not working out right now. Hopefully after this season Nolasco can regroup and give us a 4ish era and 200IP per season. That is my glass half full.

21. This user likes Bark's Lounge's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Hosken Bombo Disco (07-06-2014)

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 489 Times in 285 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post

thanks JB - so much I'd like to say in response to these tweets.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast