Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Article: A Closer Look At Joe Mauer's Struggles

Twitter
    @ParkerHageman
    Liked 63 Times in 33 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: A Closer Look At Joe Mauer's Struggles

Well, one of the ways to combat this is to hit mistake pitches, I don't know how many times on the 1st and or 2nd pitch, that the ball is in his wheelhouse and he lets it go by..........that has always been disturbing to me, but he has always hit well , so it was no big deal, now that teams are shifting on him, after strike 1 and or strike 2t hey keep hitting the outside forcing him to roll over a grounder or hit into the shift............I think the best remedy to this is to hit on first or second pitches more...........I think most of the bashing is because he shows no emotion and most people feel that showing emotion, is caring, even if not true.

It's a GREAT joke....Touchy,huh ?

Adjustments to adjustments.

Mauer needs to make adjustments (get closer to the plate, be more aggressive early in the count, ....) or

Trade him to Boston after the season - (Joe will be tired of the shift if he doesn't adjust).

I think people try to sell his struggles as just a slow start, but you can see these problems last year. His strike out increased and he could hit with RISP. His average began to drop fast last year:
    RISP
    2012 .372
    2013 .239
    2014 .189

As the lineup expectation of Mauer has increased, his production has decreased. Like most hitters, he may only see 1 good pitch an ABnd if it's early in the count, he's likely to take it. Scott Baker threw him a pitch right down the middle his first AB and he just took it. He did it again the second AB, and he drilled a double to right.

I do wish we would get over Mauer hitting .400 in Boston. Just for the record, in 182 AB's, he hitting below his career average in Boston.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think part of the point is that we have seen an attempt to adjust. Parker showed an increase in the number of times he has pulled the ball the last 2 weeks.

I also think he has lost a lot of singles up the middle. You're always taught to hit it back up the middle. Unfortunatel, shortstops are playing him there now too.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,598 Times in 831 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Jack Goin and his team shouldn't only analyze free agents. I hope that his team is allowed some leeway to approach subjects like this one.

In a perfect world, he'd have video and spray charts to bring to Mauer and tell him "This is why you're getting killed out there. What are you going to do about it?" Jack can't make the adjustment for Joe but he should be helping him determine the root of the problem and give Joe the information he needs to succeed.

8. This user likes Brock Beauchamp's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

JB_Iowa (05-30-2014)

This is interesting to juxtapose against Jayson Stark's new article at ESPN: http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/10...-proof-hitters

I think he turns this around, but it will take a major adjustment. He needs to start swinging. He is too good to be "this" bad. That said, hasn't it been noted that his LD% is higher than his career this year?

It certainly seems that a lot of balls have been hit really hard, only to find a glove.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SDTwinsFan View Post
    That said, hasn't it been noted that his LD% is higher than his career this year?
    Yep. Looking over the stat line, Joe looks just fine from a health perspective. After a rough start, he stopped striking out (8 Ks in past 28 days over 77 PAs). He's lining balls all over the field, posting a LD% of 28.7, a career best.

They're not falling in. That leads me to believe he's getting killed by shifts. Or at the very least, that's a significant part of his problem. He could also being going through an incredible streak of bad luck, though I can't chalk all his struggles off as bad luck.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Kirby_Waved_At_Me's Avatar
    Liked 167 Times in 88 Posts
    I found this interesting (from July 2013):
    http://blogs.thescore.com/mlb/2013/0...ach-joe-mauer/

Do you do a lot of video work between games? Joe Mauer - Yeah. I use video daily, usually to go over the opposition starting pitcher just to see some previous at bats I’ve had against him and to see what he’s done lately.

You mention staying true to what got you here. What kind of adjustments are required as you learn the league etc. JM – You’re constantly making adjustments. One of the biggest things is body of work, rather than the amount of work. Used to be able to get into the cage and swing swing swing but now it’s making sure I feel good and head out there, saving some for the game.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    In addition, his strikeout rate is up, and his walk rate is down. This is not just about shifts, this is also on Mauer.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    In addition, his strikeout rate is up, and his walk rate is down. This is not just about shifts, this is also on Mauer.
    His K % is just over 10% in the past month. The strikeouts were certainly concerning in the early going but he has dropped that number considerably in the past few weeks.

Joe appears to be making adjustments, they're simply not working yet.

True, but it seems--from me watching games--he is getting strikes called where it could be a ball. Again, I have nothing to back this up, but it seems he should have a few more walks, less Ks, strictly from better zone awareness of a few umps.

Senior Member MVP
    Sorry, I see this whole effort as a way to excuse him from not producing, blaming the opposition and not taking accountability. That rubs me the wrong way.
    Lighten up Francis....

I also think that Joe is swinging at worse pitches now later in counts to avoid the squeeze he has been given by some umps. Those bad pitches turn into weak grounders frequently.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Sorry, I see this whole effort as a way to excuse him from not producing, blaming the opposition and not taking accountability. That rubs me the wrong way.
    It's not excuse-making, it's analysis of the situation. No one is saying Mauer's current production level is acceptable but a nuanced breakdown of why this is happening is far more enlightening than "Joe Mauer sucks" or "chicks dig the long ball, Joe".

19. This user likes Brock Beauchamp's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Tibs (05-30-2014)

Senior Member MVP
    Except we left off the whole discussion of ISO, strikeouts, and walks, and only talked about shifts......I know not most will agree, but to me, this is just another example of the Twins and their accountability problems, it is always something oustide their control that causes bad things to happen.
    Lighten up Francis....

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Except we left off the whole discussion of ISO, strikeouts, and walks, and only talked about shifts......I know not most will agree, but to me, this is just another example of the Twins and their accountability problems, it is always something oustide their control that causes bad things to happen.
    Well, the shifts *might* be directly linked to that ISO, as evidenced by Joe's career high line drive percentage.

The strikeouts were a huge concern. Thankfully, he's shown recent ability to make better contact (11% K rate over past 28 days).

The base on balls, eh... Hard to say. His ISO D is still decent but he hasn't been taking walks lately. A concern, a change in approach, or both? Hard to say.

This isn't an easy situation to figure out and the answer doesn't appear to be "Joe is cooked" or "swing harder".

Senior Member MVP
    I agree, obviously, that it is not a simple thing to fix or figure out. I don't agree, as the Twins and media seem to be implying, that this is all about other people, and not about the Twins most highly paid, most tenured, player. He needs to adjust, and fix things, or he's pretty much a drain on this roster. He needs to adjust.
    Lighten up Francis....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast