Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: It is offically time for a change.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 287 Times in 145 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chuchadoro View Post
    How about a blog post to codify Twins Opinion Orthodoxy? Those of us who don't agree can stop posting on TD, so as not to offend your delicate sensibilities.
    I'm not so certain a post that ends with "hbo is pretty sweet" was supposed to be taken that seriously...

2. This user likes Beezer07's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Riverbrian (05-30-2014)

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    It was certainly taken, by more than a few of us, as an attack on how we choose to be fans. And it isn't the first time that poster has posted in a similar vein, iirc.
    Lighten up Francis....

Twitter
    @Trimbletj
    Liked 48 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Agreed on many points already made. We were lucky enough to get a little value from the veterans (Kubel, Correia, Pelfrey - although the latter two's value could be debated) but that well looks to have run dry. Time to adapt and update the roster. More time for Pinto, opportunities for Meyer, May, Darnell -etc.

Up until the last 7 games (2 series), the Twins have been fun to watch this year. I'd love to see the team keep that rolling by adjusting the roster as needed. (Even if the wins don't keep coming, I think many fans would enjoy watching the future pieces of the team get some real playing time).

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 87 Times in 54 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    ***I vote for ScottyB to take Rob Antony's spot, Interim GM genius!
    I could use the money.

Liked 3,143 Times in 1,344 Posts
    Please keep your comments on topic, and avoid commenting on other posters. Please review forum guidelines on how to react if you think a post(s) violates the guidelines. Thanks.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 847 Times in 543 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sconnie View Post
    You know how I know you're a wee little tyke?

Your favorite Twin of all time isn't Puckett, Oliva, Killebrew, Hrbeck, Blyleven, Viola or Morris (or in other words your fav played in the last 15 years).

i agree with both you and Thrylos. Both need to happen, except Antony needs to be out on his ear too. It would be too tempting to make Antony permanent. Promote Brad Steil interim, and backfill with TK.
    Yep, I was with Thrylos until he mentioned Antony. Andy MacPhail is available to be the interim GM while he awaits the decision on a successor to Bud Selig, McPhail is a lead candidate to replace Selig. And Jim Pohlad sits on the Commisioner Search Committee, so he's in a position in close proximity to MacPhail at the moment.

I think a fresh and removed point of view, but also a familiar face and experienced baseball executive would be the perfect short-term hire.
    Last edited by jokin; 05-30-2014 at 03:19 PM.

8. This user likes jokin's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Sconnie (05-30-2014)

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Yep, I was with Thrylos until he mentioned Antony. Andy McPhail is available to be the interim GM while he awaits the decision on a successor to Bud Selig, McPhail is a lead candidate to replace Selig. And Jim Pohlad sits on the Commisioner Search Committee, so he's in a position in close proximity to McPhail at the moment.

I think a fresh and removed point of view, but also a familiar face and experienced baseball executive would be the perfect short-term hire.
    I'd take MacPhail over Antony in a heartbeat. I guess they need an interim and then a full search. Not sure that MacPhail might be interested and if he were the Twins should offer him St Peter's position and let him run the whole thing. I don't care a bit aboutAntony other than he is available for an interim position and his name is not Ryan.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 103 Times in 75 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    I'd take MacPhail over Antony in a heartbeat. I guess they need an interim and then a full search. Not sure that MacPhail might be interested and if he were the Twins should offer him St Peter's position and let him run the whole thing. I don't care a bit aboutAntony other than he is available for an interim position and his name is not Ryan.
    This makes far more sense. Change must be throughout the organization with committment to turning the Twins into a consistent winner--and not on maintaining status quo.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 660 Times in 372 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Beezer07 View Post
    I'm not so certain a post that ends with "hbo is pretty sweet" was supposed to be taken that seriously...

Perhaps you didn't read the original version that this was referencing then.

12. This user likes TheLeviathan's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Sconnie (05-30-2014)

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,289 Times in 1,749 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Trautmann13 View Post
    package deal with Aaron Hicks' left handed helmets
    Line of the week.

15. These 3 users like Paul Pleiss's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

JB_Iowa (05-30-2014), LaBombo (05-30-2014), Sconnie (05-30-2014)

Liked 1,674 Times in 836 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pleiss View Post
    If Kubel isn't sent to AAA/DFA'd/released I'm going to start listening to NPR instead of watching Twins baseball.
    There's a help line for this. Remember, you are not alone. TD is pulling for you.

17. These 4 users like LaBombo's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

diehardtwinsfan (05-30-2014), Hosken Bombo Disco (05-30-2014), JB_Iowa (05-30-2014), Sconnie (05-30-2014)

Twitter
    @crarko
    Liked 775 Times in 407 Posts
    P
    Quote Originally Posted by LaBombo View Post
    There's a help line for this. Remember, you are not alone. TD is pulling for you.
    TD: promoting the tools of ignorance for 10^^-2 centuries.
    Mystery creates wonder, and wonder is the basis of man's desire to understand. - N. Armstrong

19. This user likes crarko's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

LaBombo (05-30-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A DocBauer's Avatar
    Liked 172 Times in 97 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Good post. Some good and noteworthy suggestions. Some good follow up from the crew and some good laughs.

Ted Williams? Bobble head and ice pack days? Really? Priceless! Lol

I really love this year's team. We are not where we need to be yet. But we're watching young players, mostly, from inside the organization and recent additions really growing in front of our eyes. The team is competitive most every game, giving them a chance, and keeping us around .500 so far, with room for more. Arcia and Willingham back helps a lot. Mauer being Mauer would help a ton. SS is no longer a black hole. The rotation is taking shape. Just need one more starter. Hate to say it as I want to avoid the whole AAAA player format, but maybe Johnson in place of Correia, for now at least, until later in the year when May, Meyer, Darnell may be ready for their shot?

Where I'm going to continue to disagree is with some mass firing of Gardy and half of his staff. Unconvential to say the least, especially during the season, and I feel unwarranted.
    (note* I am not excusing some major off season blunders made) You can call me a homer if you wish, but I honestly don't understand the vitriol towards members of our staff.

I don't always agree with Gardy. Never have, never will. But like Kelly, he plays his whole roster. When given decent talent, he's won, and won well and often. And his players are very loyal and enjoy playing for him. I don't feel he's suddenly just lost the ability to manage. More talent to work with this year than the last three, suddenly his team is competitive again.

The Twins employ a philosophy similar to the Dodgers and Orioles that proved successful for decades: run a complete system from the minors to the majors, hire good people, and promote good people from within. Yes, you need some fresh blood here and there, no question. But it's a proven formula as long as you guard against stagnation.

Both Ullger and Vavra have had quality success at the milb and ML level previously. They've earned praise when the Twins won, and like Gardy, are chastised over the past poor few seasons.

And I just don't understand all the Anderson angst. From Kelly and Such to Gardy and Anderson the Twins have enjoyed quality bullpens for most seasons over 20+ plus seasons, using talent from within and without. It's almost been a trademark of Twins teams. Ask Detroit how hard it is to build a bullpen. But this is due to what? Luck? Or the bullpen coach? Nope.

When the Twins have been walking to score runs this season Bruno and the lineup have been praised. The Twins, historically, have been amongst the most stingy teams in the league season after season in allowing walks to the opposition. But we can only complain about a lack of strikeouts. Who was the pitching coach for part of Radke's career, as well as CyYoung winner Santana's and young phenom Liriano's breakthrough, before injury, and a couple solid seasons before his head got turned around? Until Hughes this year, Gibson and Nolasco potentially, what SO potential pitchers has Anderson really had to work with in the rotation the past few years? And to those of us that love Deduno, who has harnessed his wild abilities to make him a quality ML SP, as long as he's healthy?

Perkins has been groomed in to a top closer. Burton found new life here. So has Fien. Duensing and Thielbar are becoming/have become a dual LH relief combo that most teams would kill to have. For whatever reason, Swarzak has struggled this season. But who's been the pitching coach the past few seasons when he's been almost indispensable at times?

We could rant at times about pitchers provided for our staff, moves made and not made. But I don't feel the blame falls on Anderson.

Just my opinion.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123