Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30

Thread: Gardy quote about Mauer

  1. #1
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    351
    Like
    141
    Liked 280 Times in 152 Posts

    Gardy quote about Mauer

    https://twitter.com/FSNtylermason/st...39565578862595

    Maybe a little hyperbole here, but the concept is still valid. It seems to me that defenses are taking a lot of hits away from Joe this year with their reverse shift. But many of those lineouts would be off the Green Monster in Boston. Sort of like all of those front row left center home runs Joe hit in his MVP year that are now flyouts at TC.

    I'm still hoping that Joe will adjust to the defensive shift and begin pulling the ball, but it's not easy to change your approach to hitting when you're already in your 30's.

    Since Boston is one of the only teams that would consider absorbing Mauer's contract, and because I'm convinced he would be a doubles machine in Boston, does a deal make sense? Mauer for some great prospects and a lot of payroll freedom? I never would have suggested this before this year because any thought of trading Mauer would have been a terrible idea from a PR perspective. But as I heard the boos last night, I realized that Joe is no longer untouchable.

    Would you be on board with trading Mauer if we could get a decent return from Boston?

  2. #2
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer amjgt's Avatar
    Posts
    510
    Like
    43
    Liked 165 Times in 95 Posts
    But according to Jayson Stark, Mauer is one of the most "shift-proof" players. Which is, of course, ridiculous.

    http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/10...-proof-hitters

    I guess Stark is only looking at the infield, because I'd argue that Joe has been hurt by outfield shifts more than any player I've seen.

  3. #3
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,241
    Like
    105
    Liked 103 Times in 75 Posts
    Mauer won't change--nor leave--he knows he doesn't have to change. He is so connected to the local machinery there is no reason to jeopardize that in hopes of winning a trophy. It is also likely that he too has "drunk the Kool-Aid" and "believes the Twins will rise again" and maybe win a World Series.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer amjgt's Avatar
    Posts
    510
    Like
    43
    Liked 165 Times in 95 Posts
    http://www.fangraphs.com/spraycharts...ype=battedball

    Looks to me like Mauer would have at most 11 more hits off the green monster, and more likely 7 more hits.

    Unfortunately we can't look at those 7 hits in a vacuum. He'd also have fewer line drive hits to LF because the left fielder would be playing in further.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    351
    Like
    141
    Liked 280 Times in 152 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by amjgt View Post
    But according to Jayson Stark, Mauer is one of the most "shift-proof" players. Which is, of course, ridiculous.

    http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/10...-proof-hitters


    I guess Stark is only looking at the infield, because I'd argue that Joe has been hurt by outfield shifts more than any player I've seen.
    It's amazing to me how many of Joe's outs are liners to left or 4-3's. An infield shift is not a good idea for Joe, but you're right about the effectiveness of the outfield shift.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer amjgt's Avatar
    Posts
    510
    Like
    43
    Liked 165 Times in 95 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
    Mauer won't change--nor leave--he knows he doesn't have to change. He is so connected to the local machinery there is no reason to jeopardize that in hopes of winning a trophy.
    Plus, then who would run Mauer Chev?

  7. #7
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer amjgt's Avatar
    Posts
    510
    Like
    43
    Liked 165 Times in 95 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by longstrangetrip View Post
    It's amazing to me how many of Joe's outs are liners to left or 4-3's. An infield shift is not a good idea for Joe, but you're right about the effectiveness of the outfield shift.
    I think it was last night, but it could have been two nights ago....
    Joe hit a laser to the gap in left-center, right at the center fielder. The OF shift is killing him.

  8. #8
    Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Posts
    1,083
    Like
    10
    Liked 214 Times in 100 Posts
    Can we trade Target Field for Fenway Park?

  9. These 2 users like Boom Boom's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    Longdistancetwins (05-29-2014), ScrapTheNickname (05-29-2014)

  10. #9
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,711
    Like
    1,159
    Liked 563 Times in 368 Posts
    Is it really a surprise that someone in this organization has an excuse, rather than being accountable?

  11. These 3 users like mike wants wins's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    jokin (05-29-2014), righty8383 (05-29-2014), Winston Smith (05-29-2014)

  12. #10
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer righty8383's Avatar
    Posts
    590
    Like
    11
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Or Maybe Mauer, supposedly one of the most gifted hitters this organization has ever seen, could adjust his approach a little so that more of his well struck balls aren't going to the same spot. Easier said than done I'm sure, but has to be done nonetheless if Joe wants to regain the level of respectability he once had.

  13. #11
    Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Posts
    1,083
    Like
    10
    Liked 214 Times in 100 Posts
    I wonder what Mauer's hypothetical batting average would be at Minute Maid, Great American, The Trop, Jacob's Field, Comiskey, Candlestick...

    My guess is it would be about the same as it is right now.

  14. #12
    I don't think joe has hit many balls this year that would have even reached the green monster.

  15. This user likes Marta Shearing's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    USAFChief (05-29-2014)

  16. #13
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,711
    Like
    1,159
    Liked 563 Times in 368 Posts
    His strikeouts are up, and his walks are down. His BABIP is low for him, sure.....but that is not the sole cause of his issues

  17. #14
    Senior Member Double-A chuchadoro's Avatar
    Posts
    106
    Like
    48
    Liked 28 Times in 17 Posts
    "Hey, let's give up some good prospects to add a declining singles hitter to man 1st base and pay him $23m/yr through his age 35 season" is something Ben Cherington would never say ever in his life.

    The only way the Twins could move Mauer would include them picking up a large portion of his contract like an ARod or Prince trade (minus the Soriano/Kinsler-type return). This won't happen because:

    A. the Pohlads are cheap
    B. the parochial, provincial portion of the fanbase would revolt
    C. the return would seem underwhelming to many
    D. Joe feels at home and his mom always keeps the icebox full of delicious, nutritious Kemps products. I believe he just got his 10 and 5 rights

    I came to appreciate Mauer again last year as an OBP machine playing a premium position. It's tougher to find a silver lining with a 1st baseman hitting .280 with a .079 ISO eating up 30% of the payroll.
    He's a No Limit Dozier, I thought I told ya!

  18. These 3 users like chuchadoro's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    jokin (05-29-2014), LaBombo (05-29-2014), Sconnie (05-29-2014)

  19. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by amjgt View Post
    I think it was last night, but it could have been two nights ago....
    Joe hit a laser to the gap in left-center, right at the center fielder. The OF shift is killing him.
    He could always adapt. Thats what great hitters do. Something's gotta change.

  20. This user likes Marta Shearing's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    twinsnorth49 (05-29-2014)

  21. #16
    Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Posts
    2,271
    Like
    241
    Liked 461 Times in 290 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Two months of bad luck. How many players in Twins history had a career BA over .320? How many of them had a year like this at some point? People don't understand how much of baseball is luck.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

  22. #17
    Senior Member Double-A
    Posts
    122
    Like
    24
    Liked 36 Times in 28 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by chuchadoro View Post
    "Hey, let's give up some good prospects to add a declining singles hitter to man 1st base and pay him $23m/yr through his age 35 season" is something Ben Cherington would never say ever in his life.

    The only way the Twins could move Mauer would include them picking up a large portion of his contract like an ARod or Prince trade (minus the Soriano/Kinsler-type return). This won't happen because:

    A. the Pohlads are cheap
    B. the parochial, provincial portion of the fanbase would revolt
    C. the return would seem underwhelming to many
    D. Joe feels at home and his mom always keeps the icebox full of delicious, nutritious Kemps products. I believe he just got his 10 and 5 rights

    I came to appreciate Mauer again last year as an OBP machine playing a premium position. It's tougher to find a silver lining with a 1st baseman hitting .280 with a .079 ISO eating up 30% of the payroll.
    a) There may be no cheap way out.
    b) If his decline continues the fanbase will revolt.
    c) The return either way, if his decline is real, may be underwhelming.
    d) As Joe gets into his 30s the Kemps products will cause him to get a belly, so he'll stop going to Mom's house.

  23. #18
    Senior Member Triple-A D. Hocking's Avatar
    Posts
    268
    Like
    50
    Liked 361 Times in 140 Posts
    I think he will be able to adapt in time, but is not going to happen overnight. He is over thirty and has been hitting the same way for years -- how he hits is going to be pretty hardwired into him. Its not like he can just flip a switch and change his technque, esp. when you have to react in a split second when facing MLB pitching. Adjustments take time in baseball, even for the good hitters.

    I also think he has had some bad luck, injury issues, adjusting to a new position etc. that have come into play. It does not take much to throw off one's baseball game. I think things will eventually swing the other way.

  24. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by chuchadoro View Post
    I believe he just got his 10 and 5 rights
    DO 10 and 5 rights have any real meaning when you already have a no-trade contract?

  25. #20
    Senior Member All-Star Thrylos's Avatar
    Posts
    4,167
    Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Like
    36
    Liked 444 Times in 271 Posts
    Blog Entries
    200
    Quote Originally Posted by longstrangetrip View Post
    https://twitter.com/FSNtylermason/st...39565578862595

    Maybe a little hyperbole here, but the concept is still valid. It seems to me that defenses are taking a lot of hits away from Joe this year with their reverse shift. But many of those lineouts would be off the Green Monster in Boston. Sort of like all of those front row left center home runs Joe hit in his MVP year that are now flyouts at TC.

    I'm still hoping that Joe will adjust to the defensive shift and begin pulling the ball, but it's not easy to change your approach to hitting when you're already in your 30's.
    If you cannot change your approach and adjust when you are 30 years old, you are not Joe Mauer, you are Chris Colabello. Hitters of Mauer's caliber (and paycheck size) must adjust.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

  26. This user likes Thrylos's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    Sconnie (05-29-2014)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.