Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gardy quote about Mauer

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 110 Times in 70 Posts
    Lets slow down. Joe is fine. He is still hitting above league average. It is a slow start, you guys talking about trades are ridiculous. Any team in the league would die for a star like this. He will turn it around like he always does and end up hitting .320, yet some guys on this site will bitch because he only hit 10 dingers...clueless fans.

Liked 1,285 Times in 742 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Twins Twerp View Post
    Any team in the league would die for a star like this.

I strongly doubt that given his change of position and his salary. I think any trade would have to have a pretty good financial contribution from the Twins a la the Fielder deal with Texas.
    Last edited by JB_Iowa; 05-29-2014 at 07:13 PM.

3. This user likes JB_Iowa's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

chuchadoro (05-29-2014)

Liked 1,285 Times in 742 Posts
    • Phil Mackey ‏@PhilMackey 9h
      Per @Fangraphs, Mauer has been worth $500,000 so far this year. He was worth $26 million and $22m in 2013 and 2012. (D and position matter)

If you annualize that, it puts his value at about 1.543 million.

Now, I would expect that to go up somewhat but would it go up enough to entice a team to trade something good for him without the Twins kicking in a fairly substantial amount of cash? I highly doubt it.

I'm not advocating trying to trade Mauer. I think the Twins have to make the best of the situation they have because unless your GM is Dave Dombrowski, I don't see how you come out of this smelling very rosy.

5. This user likes JB_Iowa's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

chuchadoro (05-29-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 43 Times in 27 Posts
    In an ideal world we would trade Suzuki and Pinto would catch everyday. Mauer would spell him on occasion while Herman plays backup catcher. Mauer's value came from catching, at 1st base he is just another mediocre player.

Inb4 everyone points to the average and OBP. A 1st baseman is suppose to be a masher that drives in runs. Players that are better at 1st base: Freeman, Cabrera, Goldschmidt, Chris Davis, Anthony Rizzo, Encarncion, Votto, Moss, Abreu, Gonzalez. Even Morneau is debatable. And I didnt even include Pujols because of his monster contract.

Fact is, Mauer cant produce like the above mentioned players. I like Mauer, but hes not much of an asset right now.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 534 Times in 347 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Mauer has not been "fine". His batting average is down, his power is way down, and he has come up short at the most inopportune moments. I've noticed very good play on defense from him in the past week, which to me indicates his back really isn't an issue.

If Mauer's health is not an issue, then what can be done to get him hitting. Since he is an ex-MVP and a 31-year-old man, I think a challenge is in order. Put him at the #3 position in the lineup and expect him to be the best hitter on the team. Perhaps he will respond to such a challenge.

8. This user likes stringer bell's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

LaBombo (05-29-2014)

Senior Member All-Star Bark's Lounge's Avatar
    Liked 505 Times in 196 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    Mauer has not been "fine". His batting average is down, his power is way down, and he has come up short at the most inopportune moments. I've noticed very good play on defense from him in the past week, which to me indicates his back really isn't an issue.

If Mauer's health is not an issue, then what can be done to get him hitting. Since he is an ex-MVP and a 31-year-old man, I think a challenge is in order. Put him at the #3 position in the lineup and expect him to be the best hitter on the team. Perhaps he will respond to such a challenge.
    I 100% agree with this. I am a Joe Mauer Fan, but enough is enough. No more excuses. No matter how it looks on paper - get Mauer out of the 2 hole. Put him in a more demanding position in the line-up.

I understand that not every player can be filled with fire and glory. This may pertain to you Joe. You have two infant kids and a wife, and that can be a handful, you are blessed beyond almost everyone's Joe Blow situation, most men or women have children and they become better executors of their plight in a much, much, much, more lesser situation.

Joe. you do not owe any of us an apology, just get your "bleep" together. We will champion you!!!

It would be a great disappointment to find out you are complacent and empty.

I still believe.

10. This user likes Bark's Lounge's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

LaBombo (05-29-2014)

Liked 1,680 Times in 840 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Twins Twerp View Post
    Lets slow down. Joe is fine. He is still hitting above league average. It is a slow start, you guys talking about trades are ridiculous. Any team in the league would die for a star like this. He will turn it around like he always does and end up hitting .320, yet some guys on this site will bitch because he only hit 10 dingers...clueless fans.
    He's a below-average hitter in the only relevant way to rank hitters, which is by position.

21st in wRC, 22nd in WAR (including a brutal -7.3 DEF), 22nd in wOBA, and 23rd in OPS. Out of 27 qualifiers. So he's closer to being bottom five than average, let alone above it or a star.

It's likely that at least some of Mauer's slow start is due to injury. It's also possible that some of it is not. If that's the case, and he can't at least come close to duplicating his 2013 numbers, then in less than a year he will have gone from a virtual lock for the HOF to being a non-All Star and one of the most overpaid players in MLB.

Big Mauer fan, but that's cause for concern, even when it's a popular local player.

12. These 6 users like LaBombo's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Bark's Lounge (05-29-2014), chuchadoro (05-29-2014), JB_Iowa (05-30-2014), jokin (05-29-2014), mike wants wins (05-30-2014), Sconnie (05-29-2014)

Liked 85 Times in 63 Posts
    I love how any mention of Mauer brings out EVERYBODY!

14. This user likes Jerr's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Sconnie (05-29-2014)

Liked 397 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Joe Mauer was one of the best Catchers to ever play. He's not a catcher and hasn't even hit to that caliber. LaBombo is dead on, he needs to get healthy or figure it out.

16. This user likes Sconnie's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

LaBombo (05-29-2014)

Liked 1,680 Times in 840 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by drock2190 View Post
    In an ideal world we would trade Suzuki and Pinto would catch everyday.
    It would be fine to have Suzuki on the roster even when his Mike Remond hitting impression is over. All it would take is a manager who was willing to watch Pinto learn on the job, and a front office and ownership confident that the franchise would be the better for it.

On second thought, you're right. Trade Zukes, even though Mauer is done catching.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12