Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Optimistic about Gibson

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 540 Times in 350 Posts
    Blog Entries

Optimistic about Gibson

I know some of Gibson's stats are out of line with his 4-4 record and 4.18 ERA. He throws too many pitches out of the strike zone and he doesn't strike out a high number of hitters. After watching Gibson pitch today, I can say I think he has the pitches and the makeup to be a success in the big leagues. I don't know if he'll ever contend for a Cy Young or be considered the staff ace, but he throws with enough velocity and movement that he can and should be effective. Gibson has a pretty good slider and change to go along with his fastball. Of late, he is improving his BB/K ratio and getting a few more swings and misses. The ground ball rate remains high and he's kept the ball in the park.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I cant keep from thinking about a game maybr 4 starts ago gibson was sent out in the 7th after throwing 91 pitches thru 6 and ending up giving up i think 3-5 runs in 2/3 of the 7th. If he had not been sent out which at the time i was surprised he was...ifi remember right it was ccold night and the offense had a long bottom of the sixth...i wonder what his numbers would be and where his confidence would be.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 864 Times in 555 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Gibson's effort against Texas was much more of a credible performance than Saunders against the Twins. Texas has been one of the hottest, if not the hottest, team in baseball for the last couple weeks, including the shelling of Tigers starters, Verlander, Porcello and rookie phenom, Ray over the weekend.

He's still a little lucky, but I can't remember the last game where I saw more guys fouling pitches off their feet and legs so the ball must be really moving. And this is 2 games in a row now with no Bases on Balls. The big thing to take him to the next level is convincing Gibson that he has the stuff to take his show on the road, his road record is abominable.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    He has what it takes to be an average/slightly above average pitcher in this league. And that's not a bad thing.
    He might get his ERA down to high 3's or mid 4, if he can get 200 innings a year he is a good asset on the team to have under team control for next several years.