Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: SI.com on Phil Hughes

  1. #1
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    223
    Like
    43
    Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts

    SI.com on Phil Hughes

    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mlb...-york-yankees/

    SI has a story up about Hughes' transformation since coming to the Twins. A stat really jumped out at me, in May, Hughes has thrown 90 percent of his pitches as either fastballs or cutters.


    For much of his time in New York, Hughes said, his repertoire was a work in progress, as he struggled to supplement his fastballs with the breaking balls that he thought every successful starter needed. For a while, he was throwing a lot of curveballs; then he tried a lot of sliders. This year, though, especially after his first three starts, he decided that it no longer made sense to pitch in the way he thought an effective starter had to. Instead, Hughes figured that he might try pitching as he had during his most successful spell as a Yankee, back in 2009 when he was primarily a setup man to Mariano Rivera; in 44 games in that role that season, he had an ERA of 1.40

    Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mlb...#ixzz3322fEpDm

    It is a nice article, hopefully Hughes can continue this success.

  2. #2
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,609
    Like
    68
    Liked 380 Times in 233 Posts
    That's interesting, particularly because the Twins have always seemed to be pretty reliant on off-speed pitches.

  3. #3
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,718
    Like
    1,159
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    And they supposedly wanted Garza to throw less fastballs......it is interesting! Thanks for posting.
    Lighten up Francis....

  4. #4
    Owner MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    8,128
    Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Like
    49
    Liked 1,598 Times in 831 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    I wonder how much of this aggressiveness is the result of playing under Rick Anderson.

    Hughes has become a strike-throwing machine and we all know how Anderson feels about strike-throwing machines, even ones that don't throw very good strikes.

  5. #5
    Senior Member All-Star JB_Iowa's Avatar
    Posts
    3,355
    Like
    1,313
    Liked 1,295 Times in 749 Posts
    Thanks for posting this ....

    it was also interesting to read RandBall's post about the Hughes/Suzuki strategy shift after the first two innings last night:
    http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/260931751.html

    Very encouraging to see him making adjustments.

    I'd read earlier stories about how Hughes likes to throw to Suzuki. This is one of the areas where the "tension" between getting a young catcher like Pinto experience comes up against the need for a pitcher who is somewhat reinventing himself to feel comfortable with his catcher. In the case of Hughes, the Twins have clearly decided that its more important to get/keep Hughes on track. Given his 3-year deal, it's hard to disagree with that.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    223
    Like
    43
    Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    Thanks for posting this ....

    it was also interesting to read RandBall's post about the Hughes/Suzuki strategy shift after the first two innings last night:
    http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/260931751.html

    Very encouraging to see him making adjustments.

    I'd read earlier stories about how Hughes likes to throw to Suzuki. This is one of the areas where the "tension" between getting a young catcher like Pinto experience comes up against the need for a pitcher who is somewhat reinventing himself to feel comfortable with his catcher. In the case of Hughes, the Twins have clearly decided that its more important to get/keep Hughes on track. Given his 3-year deal, it's hard to disagree with that.

    I really enjoyed the breakdown Randball's post did of the types of pitches Hughes threw after the 1st and 2nd innings. That type of adjustment is key for him to continue to be successful.

    Having Suzuki catch Hughes and Hughes be successful is more important than getting another start catching for Pinto. Plus it appears to give the Twins a better chance to win.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Double-A
    Posts
    108
    Like
    11
    Liked 49 Times in 34 Posts
    And they've already sort of committed to Pinto catching Deduno regularly to help his progression. Now if they can figure how to make Nolasco click.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    223
    Like
    43
    Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye12 View Post
    And they've already sort of committed to Pinto catching Deduno regularly to help his progression. Now if they can figure how to make Nolasco click.
    Having Nolasco click would be fantastic, all of a sudden the Twins have 3 strong starters plus Gibson, who can be good when he is on, which will help bring the starter ERA down.

  9. #9
    Owner MVP Seth Stohs's Avatar
    Posts
    6,522
    Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Like
    68
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    515
    So, as we pointed out on last night's Twins Hangouts, Phil Hughes has essentially become Mariano Rivera (pitch-usage-wise).

  10. #10
    Owner MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    8,128
    Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Like
    49
    Liked 1,598 Times in 831 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    So, as we pointed out on last night's Twins Hangouts, Phil Hughes has essentially become Mariano Rivera (pitch-usage-wise).
    More than a little ironic that he played for years alongside Rivera but only after leaving the team did Phil start to pitch like him.

  11. #11
    Owner All-Star John Bonnes's Avatar
    Posts
    2,447
    Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Like
    1
    Liked 164 Times in 96 Posts
    Blog Entries
    241
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    Thanks for posting this ....

    it was also interesting to read RandBall's post about the Hughes/Suzuki strategy shift after the first two innings last night:
    http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/260931751.html

    Very encouraging to see him making adjustments.

    I'd read earlier stories about how Hughes likes to throw to Suzuki. This is one of the areas where the "tension" between getting a young catcher like Pinto experience comes up against the need for a pitcher who is somewhat reinventing himself to feel comfortable with his catcher. In the case of Hughes, the Twins have clearly decided that its more important to get/keep Hughes on track. Given his 3-year deal, it's hard to disagree with that.
    Thanks very much for posting this. It's very interesting to see that kind of in-game adjustment so clearly.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.