Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 96.3 KTWN Frustration

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zenser View Post
    I am lucky enough to get games on AM 570 WNAX out of Yankton SD. They have a huge range stretching as far west as Rapid City, SD, as far south as St. Joseph MO, as far east as Minneapolis. I can pick it up on the south side of the cities when we go.

I also have the audio package from MLB and it is worth the $20. I enjoy listening to games from all over so for me, it is worth the investment.
    I may have to try that 570 AM.

How does the audio package work from MLB work?? Does it take a special radio? Or does it only work on your TV? The $20 would be worth it, but only if I can 'carry it with me' to the barbecue, garden, boat, etc.

Can you pick up the local broadcast or is it a network feed?

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 49 Times in 34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zenser View Post
    I am lucky enough to get games on AM 570 WNAX out of Yankton SD. They have a huge range stretching as far west as Rapid City, SD, as far south as St. Joseph MO, as far east as Minneapolis. I can pick it up on the south side of the cities when we go.

I also have the audio package from MLB and it is worth the $20. I enjoy listening to games from all over so for me, it is worth the investment.
    I'll second WNAX. I'm only in Sioux City so not too far away from Yankton, and SC finally picked up the Twins themselves, but I still listen to the WNAX station out of tradition. And the SC station gets preempted sometimes for high school football.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 394 Times in 208 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackjack View Post
    I may have to try that 570 AM.

How does the audio package work from MLB work?? Does it take a special radio? Or does it only work on your TV? The $20 would be worth it, but only if I can 'carry it with me' to the barbecue, garden, boat, etc.

You stream it over the interwebs, you can do it online, or using any of their apps (iphone, android, xbox, roku etc) If for no other reason, pick it up so you can listen to Vin Scully once in a while.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- L. Harvey Oswald

1.) You pay your 20 dollars. But now you can pay month by month if you choose.

2.) You can listen either on your computer, or on a smartphone/tablet with the "mlb at bat" app.

3.) You can listen to either teams' radio broadcast. In the case of last night's game, you could also listen to either teams' Spanish language feed.

Try going to this page: http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index...lb_1&mode=wrap

There's a little box that says "audio" next is a down arrow. You use that to select your audio feed.
    Last edited by steve; 05-28-2014 at 10:44 AM.
    Sold or not, empty seats behind homeplate are an eyesore and an embarrassment.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    I agree that many of the reception problems has more to do with building blockage than power.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,608 Times in 835 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    You stream it over the interwebs, you can do it online, or using any of their apps (iphone, android, xbox, roku etc) If for no other reason, pick it up so you can listen to Vin Scully once in a while.
    Yep. It's my opinion that a person isn't really a baseball fan until they've listened to at least 50 Dodger broadcasts just to hear Vin talk about baseball for a couple of hours.

It's probably the best thing about baseball and has been for the past 50+ seasons.

Man, to go from Red Barber to Vin. Dodgers fans have it good.

Quote Originally Posted by Hosken Bombo Disco View Post
    My dad let me listen to ball games in bed at night in the summer and I tell you, I was hooked for life
    Listening to far off baseball from an AM station through static and storm, trying to get in an inning before the signal drifts away, is a magical joy our children will never experience in this digital age.

Besides the NBC Game of the Week, once upon a time the only chance to experience out of town baseball was the radio.
    Sold or not, empty seats behind homeplate are an eyesore and an embarrassment.

8. This user likes steve's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

USAFChief (05-28-2014)

Liked 3,188 Times in 1,365 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    Listening to far off baseball from an AM station through static and storm, trying to get in an inning before the signal drifts away, is a magical joy our children will never experience in this digital age.

o.
    Is it sad that I did this as an adult? Impatiently waiting for the sun to go down so that I might catch a scratchy, unreliable station out of Texas, or Nebraska and therefore get the last couple innings of a Twins road game? I sometimes think I got more joy from that than watching every game in HDnow.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

10. This user likes USAFChief's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

WLFINN (05-28-2014)

The NBC game of the week and their theme song was magical to me growing up. I haven't heard it for so many years. It gives me goose bumps. Part of the reason 80's baseball was so awesome to me.

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post

Besides the NBC Game of the Week, once upon a time the only chance to experience out of town baseball was the radio.
    I remember listening to the Twins/Angels game during a thunderstorm. Tons of static and cracking with every lightning strike. Next thing you know Herb says the roof is rippling and waving and the players ran off the field. Crazy night.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 568 Times in 372 Posts
    There is something magical missing in our new, improved, technology (though I'd argue the gains outweigh the losses).
    Lighten up Francis....

My biggest issue since they left WCCO is the general baseball talk, both pre and post game, not to mention other things during the day. WCCO seemed to go above and beyond the needs of baseball to make Twins coverage part of their daily product.

Then the Twins wanted teams to PAY them to broadcast besides keeping a good portion of the advertising revenue to boot.

They may have increased their overall monies by selling the Twins to lots and lots of smaller markets (sure, I'm sure, ratings are down because of losing seasons).

KSTP swooped in, but I got sick of their talking down to Twins fans and yes I didn't think they were Twins boosters, which seems to work against the fact that you are trying to get people to listen to broadcasts, let alone radio.

Pohlads seem to think that the Twins listeners will cross over and make their regular music broadcast day bigger in the ratings. I have yet to figure out what they do actually play for music.

I miss the days of a great pre-game show, a great post-game show, and Dark Star mumbling throughout the night about baseball and the Twins during the season. Plus, with WCCO, you could egt the signal from pretty much anywheres.
    Joel Thingvall
    www.thingvall.com
    rosterman at www.twinscards.com

15. This user likes Rosterman's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

USAFChief (05-28-2014)

Liked 401 Times in 264 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Twins Cap View Post
    Truly pathetic. Western Wisconsin, sunny day, driving around. Pretty much impossible to listen to the Twins on 96.3.

Someone needs to say it: this is a weak organization. The quality of their decisions, their ability to hold people accountable for poor performance, their response to criticism -- if they didn't have a monopoly on baseball in this region, they would have been drummed out of town a long time ago.

Luckily, they are the kind of team the last few years where, if you don't listen to them, you don't miss anything.
    The River Falls station carries the games as well. 104.1 I believe

Senior Member MVP
    Of course, WCCO isn't really the WCCO you remember at all......
    Lighten up Francis....

18. This user likes mike wants wins's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

benchwarmerjim (05-28-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Some of the newish smart phones have FM tuners in them. Last night I was doing a bunch of outdoor ****e and thoroughly enjoyed listening to the broadcast. I too am about 3 miles South of Target field (Lyn Lake area). Sometimes the signal is decent other times not so good.
    On Sunday, we were driving back to Mpls from my parent's place near Pine City and we could only pick up the Spanish broadcast of the game until we reached Forest Lake (on KTWN). That surprised me.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 40 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nokomismod View Post
    On Sunday, we were driving back to Mpls from my parent's place near Pine City and we could only pick up the Spanish broadcast of the game until we reached Forest Lake (on KTWN). That surprised me.
    Pine City has a Twins radio affiliate on 100.9. I don't think they carry the Spanish broadcast.

The only thing I miss about the Twins on WCCO is Herb Carneal.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer amjgt's Avatar
    Liked 165 Times in 95 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SweetOne69 View Post
    I agree that many of the reception problems has more to do with building blockage than power.
    None of the other major / mid-major radio stations suffer from said building blockage.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by amjgt View Post
    None of the other major / mid-major radio stations suffer from said building blockage.
    I know of a couple that do. I buddy of mine lives in Burnsville. He lives about 5 miles from the transmitter of one of the news talk radio stations. He can't pick it up, but I can 100 miles away.

That being said, KTWN has a Class C3 license which means that it can transmit up to 25kW and have an antenna height of 100m. They are no where near their limit (19kW and 77meters).

Apparently in the FM world, the antenna height is more important than the transmission power.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 40 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SweetOne69 View Post
    That being said, KTWN has a Class C3 license which means that it can transmit up to 25kW and have an antenna height of 100m. They are no where near their limit (19kW and 77meters).
    Good information. Another 23 meters would certainly help with building shadowing. There aren't too many 100 meter buildings in Minneapolis.

From wiki: "Minneapolis, the largest city in the U.S. state of Minnesota, is home to 245 completed high-rises,[1] 34 of which stand taller than 300 feet (91 m)."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...in_Minneapolis

The station transmits out of New Hope. If there is a tall building between you and the transmitter that explains the problem.

Senior Member MVP
    You think radio is bad, try cutting the cord on cable.....I have had the pleasure of watching one show the old fashioned way, holding my antenna, while laying on the floor.......ah, the glory days
    Lighten up Francis....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast