Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 96.3 KTWN Frustration

Senior Member Big-Leaguer amjgt's Avatar
    Liked 165 Times in 95 Posts

96.3 KTWN Frustration

My 6yo daughter, tonight, who went with me to the game yesterday, asked me if she could listen to the game while she went to sleep. I couldn't have been happier.... Until I had to disappoint her by telling her that I couldn't get the game on her radio.

I live 4 miles south of Target Field. 4 miles. And I can't get the game on a relatively new desktop radio with a decent sized antenna and digital tuning. I can get just about any other FM station in the area. Not KTWN.

This is a problem, Minnesota Twins.

I get it. Not many people listen to the game on the radio any more. There probably isn't exactly a bidding war to broadcast Twins baseball games in the metro. But then you need to change with the times. She's got an iPod touch that she be perfectly happy listening to the game on.

2. These 3 users like amjgt's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

raindog (05-28-2014), snepp (05-28-2014), USAFChief (05-27-2014)

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 487 Times in 284 Posts
    I'm sorry you can't get the signal. This was a fun one. The Cardinals left KMOX about the time the Twins left 'CCO but the Cards returned to KMOX a couple years ago. I'd love if the Twins went back to AM. Baseball belongs there. My dad let me listen to ball games in bed at night in the summer and I tell you, I was hooked for life

4. These 2 users like Hosken Bombo Disco's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

blairpaul715 (05-28-2014), WLFINN (05-28-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer amjgt's Avatar
    Liked 165 Times in 95 Posts
    I was able to watch the game. I was excited and frankly a little surprised that my daughter wanted to listen to the game in bed. I wanted to foster that new-found interest. KTWN's "college radio station" signal strength prevented that from happening. That is frustrating.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 42 Times in 28 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I live in the middle of St Paul, its the twin cities. I can't get KTwin either. It's ridiculous. Im glad the FM signal sounds great in Waconia.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Physics Guy's Avatar
    Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
    Blog Entries
    They need to return to AM, but it needs to be WCCO, not 1500. They weren't much better reception-wise than KTWN.

Liked 3,142 Times in 1,344 Posts
    I don't know the financials involved, or all the factors, but leaving CCO was a mistake on many levels, IMO.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

9. This user likes USAFChief's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Oldgoat_MN (05-28-2014)

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
    Twins radio has been awful ever since they left WCCO. I remember driving in downtown Minneapolis all the time and still getting a bad signal from 1500. KTWIN isn't any better.

I live out in the sticks a few hours from the metro and most of the affiliates have horrible reception too.

Im lucky enough the hutchinson signal is really good. But it was ridiculous to leave WCCO. Those were the days.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 652 Times in 366 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    I don't know the financials involved, or all the factors, but leaving CCO was a mistake on many levels, IMO.
    We hicks are lucky to have a bevy of affiliates. It's strange that an area with as many cows as people can more easily listen to the team play.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    We hicks are lucky to have a bevy of affiliates.
    Try listening to one of the outstate affiliates in the fall, they will pre-empt the Twins for high school football, vollyball, etc. Very frustrating back a few years ago when the Twins were in contention. And try to find the Ron Gardenhire show on Sunday, most of the affiliates will have church services - maybe they're trying to tell me something!!!

One time I was camping at a state park in SW MN, listening to a late Twins game, went into extra innings, and all of a sudden they break away for a commercial in the middle of an innning!!! That went on for the rest of the game, 20 after the hour and 20 to the hour, a commercial, it didn't matter if it was the middle of an innning. The next day I called the station manager to give him hell, he said he had no control, the station was unmanned that time of night, the signal for a commercial came over the network.

The whole Twins radio broadcast has sucked since they left WCCO.

Twitter
    @Andy_Twitchell
    Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The Pohlad's own KTWN which is why the Twins switched to it. You think with the money that family has they'd be able to spend some to upgrade the station.
    I bent my wookie...

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
    I'm lucky. I live in Fargo and still get the games on AM and both the stations that carry the games have a couple of the largest signals in the country. During my monthly drives to the metro area though it's such a crap shoot if, and for how long, I'll pick up the broadcasts from Alexandria, St. Cloud and KTWN. I've told my wife many times that it's shocking the team puts so little effort to reach so much of it's key target audience.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 563 Times in 368 Posts
    It is amazing. Same with the Vikings and Wolves too (the outstate problem).....it's almost like they don't care if anyone listens.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 35 Times in 20 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Truly pathetic. Western Wisconsin, sunny day, driving around. Pretty much impossible to listen to the Twins on 96.3.

Someone needs to say it: this is a weak organization. The quality of their decisions, their ability to hold people accountable for poor performance, their response to criticism -- if they didn't have a monopoly on baseball in this region, they would have been drummed out of town a long time ago.

Luckily, they are the kind of team the last few years where, if you don't listen to them, you don't miss anything.

18. These 2 users like Old Twins Cap's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (05-28-2014), Todd_L (05-28-2014)

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 375 Times in 193 Posts
    mlb.tv offers radio service for about $19 a year, well worth it.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- L. Harvey Oswald

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    mlb.tv offers radio service for about $19 a year, well worth it.
    I agree 100%. I live in outstate MN and it is impossible to find a reliable affiliate that I could pick up to listen to the games. I've been paying for MLB AT Bat for about 3-4 years and it is well worth the $20/year.

Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
    I am lucky enough to get games on AM 570 WNAX out of Yankton SD. They have a huge range stretching as far west as Rapid City, SD, as far south as St. Joseph MO, as far east as Minneapolis. I can pick it up on the south side of the cities when we go.

I also have the audio package from MLB and it is worth the $20. I enjoy listening to games from all over so for me, it is worth the investment.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 652 Times in 366 Posts
    Maybe I'm just lucky. On any given night I have 4-5 possible radio stations carrying the game, even if the Moondogs or high school stuff pre-empts a few of them I still have a slew of options.

Liked 391 Times in 259 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by amjgt View Post
    My 6yo daughter, tonight, who went with me to the game yesterday, asked me if she could listen to the game while she went to sleep. I couldn't have been happier.... Until I had to disappoint her by telling her that I couldn't get the game on her radio.

I live 4 miles south of Target Field. 4 miles. And I can't get the game on a relatively new desktop radio with a decent sized antenna and digital tuning. I can get just about any other FM station in the area. Not KTWN.

This is a problem, Minnesota Twins.

I get it. Not many people listen to the game on the radio any more. There probably isn't exactly a bidding war to broadcast Twins baseball games in the metro. But then you need to change with the times. She's got an iPod touch that she be perfectly happy listening to the game on.
    Sad state when the Pohlads own KTWN and don't have the wattage to broadcast their own content across the entire metro area they exist in

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 40 Times in 26 Posts
    The Pohlads can't just increase the wattage of a radio station. The FCC only allows so many high wattage stations in a geographic area. Those stations cost a lot of money to purchase. They have done some beamforming work to get better coverage areas but I think they're running into urban canyon effects in the city.

It is interesting that you can't get the signal south of Target Field. I have no problems receiving 96.3 just north of St. Paul all the way to North Branch. You might have shadowing from tall buildings. Get the antenna up as high as you can and try different ends of the house. If that doesn't work then you'll probably have to pay for MLB at-bat.

25. This user likes DJL44's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Riverbrian (05-28-2014)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast