Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Line-up shake up

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 149 Times in 78 Posts

Line-up shake up

The offense is totally stagnating despite ridding itself of Florimon and Hicks appearing competent with greater frequency. Why is moving Escobar to the lead off spot not being considered? He's red hot and has speed, and would allow Dozier to hit 3rd. It's not a major change, but couldn't hurt.

Escobar, SS
    Mauer, C
    Dozier, 2B
    Plouffe, 3B
    Arcia, RF
    Willingham, LF
    Parmalee/Kubel DH
    Pinto/Suzuki C
    Hicks, CF

2. This user likes howeda7's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Hosken Bombo Disco (05-27-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A DocBauer's Avatar
    Liked 174 Times in 99 Posts
    Blog Entries
    No, no and no.

Not because its a bad idea. It really isn't. Ultimately, it might be Dozier's best spot. Time will tell. But at this point, especially with a lineup that is scuffling lately, I don't make the move. I don't make it because until recently, it's worked pretty well. And to me, it messes with one special thing that IS working with Dozier at the 1 spot.

What I still maintain you do is move Escobar to 2 behind Dozier, and ahead of Mauer in the 3 hole, where he has hit most of his career. Arcia, Willingham, Plouffe and Suzuki hit behind in some combination.

Dozier stays where he's been outstanding, Mauer hits where he's used to, and then you bring up what should be some RBI hitters. You might even bat Hicks and Santana in the 2 hole depending on the matchup. And isn't baseball all about matchups? I think that would deepen the lineup overall.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 149 Times in 78 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DocBauer View Post
    No, no and no.

Not because its a bad idea. It really isn't. Ultimately, it might be Dozier's best spot. Time will tell. But at this point, especially with a lineup that is scuffling lately, I don't make the move. I don't make it because until recently, it's worked pretty well. And to me, it messes with one special thing that IS working with Dozier at the 1 spot.

What I still maintain you do is move Escobar to 2 behind Dozier, and ahead of Mauer in the 3 hole, where he has hit most of his career. Arcia, Willingham, Plouffe and Suzuki hit behind in some combination.

Dozier stays where he's been outstanding, Mauer hits where he's used to, and then you bring up what should be some RBI hitters. You might even bat Hicks and Santana in the 2 hole depending on the matchup. And isn't baseball all about matchups? I think that would deepen the lineup overall.
    The last 9 games we've scored 2, 5, 2, 2, 1, 1, 2, 4 and 0. I wouldn't worry about 'breaking' Dozier. He has the highest OPS, you don't want your best hitter hitting lead-off. Meanwhile Escobar has a higher OBP.

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 490 Times in 286 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by howeda7 View Post
    The offense is totally stagnating despite ridding itself of Florimon and Hicks appearing competent with greater frequency. Why is moving Escobar to the lead off spot not being considered? He's red hot and has speed, and would allow Dozier to hit 3rd. It's not a major change, but couldn't hurt.

Escobar, SS
    Mauer, C
    Dozier, 2B
    Plouffe, 3B
    Arcia, RF
    Willingham, LF
    Parmalee/Kubel DH
    Pinto/Suzuki C
    Hicks, CF
    I will take you one further and run the lineup something like this:

SS Escobar
    2B Dozier
    RF Arcia
    LF Willingham
    C Pinto
    1B Mauer
    3B Plouffe
    CF Hicks
    Santana/Parmelee/etc

Liked 3,169 Times in 1,356 Posts
    The lineup shakeup I want to see involves Pinto being in it more.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 864 Times in 555 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    The lineup shakeup I want to see involves Pinto being in it more.
    Yup. The guy with the 2nd best OPS behind Escobar has been reduced to a virtual non-entity....he's caught 2 games in the last 2 weeks and one start at DH. Mind-boggling, when your team is struggling mightily to score runs....the Twins have averaged all of 2.67 runs scored over this 12-game time frame.

Liked 2,304 Times in 1,295 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by howeda7 View Post
    The last 9 games we've scored 2, 5, 2, 2, 1, 1, 2, 4 and 0. I wouldn't worry about 'breaking' Dozier. He has the highest OPS, you don't want your best hitter hitting lead-off. Meanwhile Escobar has a higher OBP.
    Is it just me... Or does it seem like Pinto has not been in the lineup for the majority of this low run production streak?

And doesn't it seem like Pinto was in the lineup when we were producing?

I'll hang up and listen.

9. This user likes Riverbrian's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Hosken Bombo Disco (05-29-2014)

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 864 Times in 555 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    Is it just me... Or does it seem like Pinto has not been in the lineup for the majority of this low run production streak?

And doesn't it seem like Pinto was in the lineup when we were producing?

I'll hang up and listen.
    He's essentially been reduced to Deduno's personal caddy and late-inning PH. At this rate, Suzuki will be useless by the All Star break, maybe that's Gardy's ultimate master plan for getting Pinto his share of plate duty?

11. This user likes jokin's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Hosken Bombo Disco (05-29-2014)