Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Article: It's All Right: Hicks Gives Up Switch-Hitting

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 444 Times in 271 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ScrapTheNickname View Post
    I don't have the answer to that. Fuld when he comes back? All I know (or think I know) is that Hicks must go down. He just got picked off first, when the team was down by two runs. He needs to learn how to be an MLB player. Perhaps he can, perhaps he can't. But to be failing to this degree at this level is untenable.
    That was a balk. Have you seen how Kubel has been playing recently? How about Willingham's/Nunez'/Santana's defensive ability at OF the last 2 games? How about Mauer at the plate the last week or so? Hicks being picked off on a clear uncalled balk is not the problem with this team...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 657 Times in 370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    And the Twins' centerfielder would be?
    Since when has that been an issue this year?

This team is still rebuilding, it should do what's right by it's most important prospects.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Since when has that been an issue this year?

This team is still rebuilding, it should do what's right by it's most important prospects.
    Last time I checked, before the Giants' series this team was half a game away from the second AL Wild Card spot. They have to play to win this season and this does not mean not developing people. Santana is a prospect, too, no? He should be playing SS instead of CF (in AAA.)
    -----

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 461 Times in 290 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Better late than never.

I don't know where you all think you're going to dig up a better CF on another team. I'm sure they've been beating the bushes since both CFers went down with concussions. They aren't out there. So can we stop with the idea of sending down the only healthy center fielder above A ball?
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 461 Times in 290 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Last time I checked, before the Giants' series this team was half a game away from the second AL Wild Card spot. They have to play to win this season and this does not mean not developing people. Santana is a prospect, too, no? He should be playing SS instead of CF (in AAA.)
    People must really hate Hicks if they think Santana is a better option.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Right now they are actively harming a player's development in order to win now. I don't approve of that. I don't approve of Santana out there either.

Frankly, I'd put Parmelee out there. But I don't sacrifice the career of Aaron Hicks on the altar of contending in 2014.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 103 Times in 75 Posts
    I totally disagree. The plan should be to build a consistent winner, and a team that will occasionally make a serious run at the World Series--not try to have a fantasy run for the benefit of face-saving. This Twins team is in "frame-off" rebuild. The foundation stones have yet to be found (proven!). Seasons like 2014 should be used to assess who should what role (if any) with the team and develop them, accepting the missteps and gufaws along the way. Scraping the dumpster for the castoffs of other teams discards with the hope that they can build a winner is only useful after the "core players" (foundation stones have been identified and proven). Having "open mike" for is not how good teams are built.

Liked 3,143 Times in 1,344 Posts
    Right now they are actively harming a player's development...
    While that's possible, I think player development is too fuzzy a science to say that with certainty.

IMO I think Hicks is old enough, and has enough minor league time, that what's important is to be playing pretty much every day. I'm not convinced at all it matters whether that's in Rochester or Minneapolis.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

9. These 4 users like USAFChief's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

cmathewson (05-26-2014), gil4 (05-26-2014), Hosken Bombo Disco (05-26-2014), jorgenswest (05-26-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    While that's possible, I think player development is too fuzzy a science to say that with certainty.

IMO I think Hicks is old enough, and has enough minor league time, that what's important is to be playing pretty much every day. I'm not convinced at all it matters whether that's in Rochester or Minneapolis.
    Perhaps. It could be the Twins feel demoting him will crush his already fragile confidence too. However, he has a lot to work on and a taste of success is most important for him. If that continues up here - fine. But if he can't have success and learn up here he needs to go down.

Liked 1,674 Times in 836 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Honestly wasn't sure the thread title was serious until reading the first few posts. So he got at least one hit batting right-handed against a pretty good righty? What a great start for him, and tip o' the Twins cap to him for having the courage to give it a shot.

That seems like it could be much more of an influence on the future of the Twins than a loss to a perennial contender with the worst starter in the Twins' rotation on the mound.
    Last edited by LaBombo; 05-26-2014 at 04:46 PM.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Blog Entries
    Perhaps. It could be the Twins feel demoting him will crush his already fragile confidence too. However, he has a lot to work on and a taste of success is most important for him. If that continues up here - fine. But if he can't have success and learn up here he needs to go down.
    On the other hand, there is a small minority of us who thinks that he is fine with the glove at CF and his biggest issue has been hitting as a LHB, and now that he gave it up, he really has not much to work on other than get PAs and experience. Time will show, but the most important adjustment a RHB has to do while facing a RHP is to stay away from the sweeping slider. He did not in his first PA (and K'd swinging,) but he adjusted the rest of the game. Very encouraging...
    Last edited by Thrylos; 05-26-2014 at 04:37 PM.
    -----

13. This user likes Thrylos's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

gil4 (05-26-2014)

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 563 Times in 368 Posts
    I believe he will now become the player everyone thought. I'm excited to see the new Aaron Hicks! Good luck sir.
    Lighten up Francis....

15. These 2 users like mike wants wins's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ChiTownTwinsFan (05-26-2014), LaBombo (05-26-2014)

On the other hand, there is a small minority of us who thinks that he is fine with the glove at CF and his biggest issue has been hitting as a LHB, and now that he gave it up, he really has not much to work on other than get PAs and experience. Time will show, but the most important adjustment a RHB has to do while facing a RHP is to stay away from the sweeping slider. He did not in his first PA (and K'd swinging,) but he adjusted the rest of the game. Very encouraging...
    Right, he needs PAs and experience - things he could get at AAA and have better odds at feeling success. Given how much people are openly talking about his confidence issues I don't think that should be ignored.

I'm not sure how anyone can feel good about how he plays CF. I can understand thinking he'll get better, but that he's fine? I have no clue how anyone can have that conclusion.

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 488 Times in 285 Posts
    Right, he needs PAs and experience - things he could get at AAA and have better odds at feeling success. Given how much people are openly talking about his confidence issues I don't think that should be ignored.

I'm not sure how anyone can feel good about how he plays CF. I can understand thinking he'll get better, but that he's fine? I have no clue how anyone can have that conclusion.
    I think Hicks is pretty good in center. Not the greatest, but can do the job.

Hicks will probably need more game-situation batting practice than he's likely prepared to handle and sure, maybe it would be better if he could get that in AAA. But that's not really an option at the moment?

Again: besides Fuld and Hicks, is there anyone else who can play center?

Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    Better late than never.

I don't know where you all think you're going to dig up a better CF on another team. I'm sure they've been beating the bushes since both CFers went down with concussions. They aren't out there. So can we stop with the idea of sending down the only healthy center fielder above A ball?
    He's not a major league caliber player. They could replace his production immediately with any number of replacement level players.

Liked 3,143 Times in 1,344 Posts

I wouldn't say I feel good about how he plays CF. I would say with certainty I feel better about him out there than any other current option. When (if) Fuld is healthy, it might be worth revisiting, but not now.

You have to sell tickets and advertising, and also I think it's important for MLB organizations to be viewed as "big league," both internally and externally. I don't want to watch Parmelee or Santana in CF, and more importantly I don't think that does anyone any good.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    You have to sell tickets and advertising, and also I think it's important for MLB organizations to be viewed as "big league," both internally and externally. I don't want to watch Parmelee or Santana in CF, and more importantly I don't think that does anyone any good.
    I also don't like watching guys with .190 batting averages hit or watch major league centerfielders see how many circles they can make trying to catch a ball. There are issues on both sides of this that speak to your point.

21. This user likes TheLeviathan's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

USAFChief (05-26-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 162 Times in 103 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by launchingthrees View Post
    He's not a major league caliber player. They could replace his production immediately with any number of replacement level players.
    Replacement level CFs

Julio Borbon, Clete Thomas, Jason Bourgeios, Jason Pridie

They are all employed and provide their organizations some AAA depth at a very thin position. The Twins will have to give up something to get one.

Take your pick.

I would stay with Hicks.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 44 Times in 24 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Right now they are actively harming a player's development in order to win now. I don't approve of that. I don't approve of Santana out there either.

Frankly, I'd put Parmelee out there. But I don't sacrifice the career of Aaron Hicks on the altar of contending in 2014.
    Levi, Repeat, I say again, repeat. This is Tar Heel -out,

24. This user likes tarheeltwinsfan's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Hosken Bombo Disco (05-26-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post

Seriously, he's a first baseman who has played RF because his bat isn't good enough to stick at first base. But he's a marginal outfielder. And you would rather have him that Aaron Hicks at a position Parmelee has never played, with very good reason.
    Well, that wasn't necessary and I don't like it either, but that goes back to incompetence by the Twins in forming their roster.

I think Hicks needs some time to refine his game at a place he's more likely to experience success when he makes good adjustments. Since he's overmatched in the bigs, AAA would be what's best for him in my opinion. This is much like what the Twins did with Hunter that helped him elevate his play.

The awful situation in CF hurts, but you only compound that problem by refusing to do what's right by an important prospect.
    Last edited by USAFChief; 05-26-2014 at 06:32 PM.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast