Blog Entries

Article: Twins Minor League Report (5/26): Memorial Day in the Minors

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Derrick Penilla?!?!
    Why not Thorpe or
    Gonsalves?

Penilla had a 5.40 ERA in the GCL last year....he has a 5.40 ERA this year...I can't see how he helps the team win or builds for future.
    Yuck!
    And while we are talking about the Low A Starting rotation, why the heck is Jose
    Montanez still getting a shot at starting? He wasn't good last year, and he's not good now.

I am not privy to insider info coming out of the EST. But based on past performance, I can't see what is gained by holding back Thorpe and Gonsalves.

Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Could not agree more. I have mentioned this in the last couple MLR as well. The rotation has been garbage with the exception of Stewart and Slegers. The guys they are running out there could use more time in EST. Give some other guys a shot. They seem very set on not changing the plan with these guys. They most want to space them out and have them a year behind Stewart?... I'm not sure way Thorpe and Gonsalves have not been progressing along with Stewart. Thorpe at the very least.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 568 Times in 372 Posts
    I admit to confusion over Thorpe and Gonsalves being not in CR.
    Lighten up Francis....

Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    I admit to confusion over Thorpe and Gonsalves being not in CR.
    I don't mind them starting the season in EST but the current starters are not impressive. Unless they are stinking it up down there I can't see any benefit not bringing them to low A

Twitter
    @JimCrikket
    Liked 105 Times in 51 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm as anxious to see Thorpe and Gonsalves in CR as anyone, but there are a couple of factors to consider. First, Penilla is a 22 yr old pitcher drafted out of college. It's not at all surprising that the organization sends the older guys to fill spots at low A ahead of younger arms. Also, despite the use of a 6-man rotation, some pitchers can start to bump up against inning limits by the end of July and in to August. Having one or both of Gonsalves & Thorpe available for the final couple of months of the season isn't a bad thing. It doesn't really matter whether these guys get their innings in from April-July or from June-August and then in to instructs in Sept.

Covering the Cedar Rapids Kernels for
    MetroSportsReport.comwhile my alter-ego, Jim Crikket, opines about the Twins and Kernels at Knuckleballsblog.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I still think Gonsalves will get up to Cedar Rapids, maybe even before the Elizabethton season starts. But it definitely doesn't hurt for Thorpe to go pitch in the Appy League. See how he does in the small, hitters' ballparks, and if he does well, bump him up. He just turned 18. It's not a race.

also, another great point was made above, we don't know everything that is happening at Extended Spring Training.

I did see Penilla in spring training and thought he looked pretty impressive. He's only made one start. Give him an opportunity and then go with the younger guys.

But SD Buhr is correct, others will get opportunities later in the season.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 40 Times in 26 Posts
    Cuts are coming. My guess is they want to give the fringy guys some playing time to see who goes home. Thorpe and Gonsalves are not getting cut. They both might be slated for Betsy instead.