Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 123

Thread: Game Thread: Twins v Rangers, 5/26 @ 1:10pm CT

  1. #1
    Twins Moderator All-Star ChiTownTwinsFan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,829
    Twitter
    @Sheradoodles
    Like
    1,424
    Liked 1,935 Times in 1,135 Posts

    Game Thread: Twins v Rangers, 5/26 @ 1:10pm CT

    Game-time forecast: Partly cloudy with a 50-percent chance of rain. Winds blowing from right to left field at 5-10 m.p.h. Temperature around 80.

    Rangers:
    SP, Tepesch

    Shin-Soo Choo DH
    Elvis Andrus SS
    Mitch Moreland 1B
    Adrian Beltre 3B
    Alex Rios RF
    Chris Gimenez C
    Leonys Martin CF
    Michael Choice LF
    Rougned Odor 2B

    Twins:
    SP, Correia

    Brian Dozier 2B
    Joe Mauer 1B
    Trevor Plouffe 3B
    Oswaldo Arcia RF
    Josh Willingham LF
    Jason Kubel DH
    Kurt Suzuki C
    Aaron Hicks CF
    Eduardo Escobar SS

    --------------------------------

    Brian will post some thoughts for you here.
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Things to Think About:

    1. Texas -- Perhaps nowhere in the US of A will you find a state prouder of themselves than Texas. The state pride shows up in the many slogans... The Lone Star State... Don't Mess with Texas... It's like a whole other country... On the 8th Day God Created Texas... Obviously you get the picture... Texas thinks they are better than Arkansas and 95 percent of all Texans have not traveled past Arkansas. When Texas was first formed... the border stretched all the way into modern day Wyoming. As a condition of statehood... Texas was forced to give up a large portion of it's land because it was important to the government that Oklahoma has a panhandle where nobody lives. Economically... Texas is a major exporter of Oil, Beef, Jalapeño's, Football Players and Cheap Labor.

    2. The Rangers -- They were established in 1961 and named after Clayton Moore. Original uniforms actually came equipped with a Lone Ranger mask but they didn't have the eye holes and eyesight was a simple explanation for their 62-100 record. It was Jay Silverheels who convinced the baseball club to take off the masks in 1969. Which was about the time that KISS formed. Fast forward today and we have a huge disabled list with important players such as Prince Fielder, Jurickson Profar, Martin Perez, Matt Harrison and Derek Holland on it. GM Jon Daniels has been seen roaming the countryside wondering where all his players went. Shin Soo Choo currently leads the team in walks with 31... That makes him the Walker Texas Ranger Walker award leader.

    3. Willingham and Arcia -- OK... it's May 26 and they are back and in the lineup. It doesn't take much imagination to conclude... Going into the season... The front office probably believed that the combination of these two were supposed to supply a large portion of the power on this team. They are back and healthy now... Let's see if they can do what they are expected to do. As a hitter... Arcia was supposed to watch the veteran Willingham and learn what to do. It ended up being the opposite. Arcia hurt his wrist on April 4th and Willingham copied him on April 6th.

    4. Josmil Pinto... Gardy it's your lineup... But I gotta ask... What are you doing in regards to Pinto? You just came off a swing of 5 games of National League Parks and Josmil Pinto started just one of those 5 games. I think we can say he's rested unless he stayed up late last night to play video games. In the one game he started he hit a home run. While Kurt Suzuki has gone 2 for his past 15. If Pinto doesn't start at catcher today... DH would have been option because Kubel is 0 for his last 11. Yet... Pinto is on the bench once again.

    5. Memorial Day... My wife thinks that I need a Memorial Day every day but she says that because I forget to pick up milk sometimes. Today is a big day... It isn't just a day off. Many Americans have sacrificed more than I could ever imagine. They fought and died for something bigger than all of us. I don't ever want to take it for granted. I try to imagine what it was like to be on a landing craft heading for Omaha Beach. You got to get through Council Bluffs just to reach the beach and slog through deep water carrying heavy equipment maybe 200 yards under heavy fire just to reach the beach which was loaded with landmines while bullets picked off those around you at a horrible pace. The story is well known but I try to imagine what it was truly like. To know that you got to get out and move forward with the weight of the country and world on your shoulders when natural instinct would have been to swim back to Portsmouth England. I know I would have been scared and I know I would have been thinking of my loved ones and it's time for loved ones to think about them. Not just them... Every last one of them from the 18th Century to today.
    Last edited by Riverbrian; 05-26-2014 at 12:49 PM.

  2. These 2 users like ChiTownTwinsFan's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    glunn (05-26-2014), Willihammer (05-26-2014)

  3. #2
    Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Posts
    3,994
    Like
    4
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    67
    Free Josmil Pinto from this bench.

  4. These 2 users like Shane Wahl's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    jorgenswest (05-26-2014), Riverbrian (05-26-2014)

  5. #3
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    351
    Like
    141
    Liked 280 Times in 152 Posts
    I'm back in LA after following the club around the state the past week. Saw 4 out of 5 games, but opted to jam on our guitars with an old high school friend in Oakland yesterday rather than watching another loss...just didn't feel confident after two losses with Nolasco on the bump and our meek lineup. I patted myself on the back when I saw the game results.

    Wow, it's nice to see a lineup with a little pop in it again, although it's tough to get excited about Correia on the mound trying to end the 3-game slide. Nick Tepisch can get a little wild, so with some patience, I think we can outscore them today and rubber band back to .500.

  6. This user likes longstrangetrip's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    Riverbrian (05-26-2014)

  7. #4
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    351
    Like
    141
    Liked 280 Times in 152 Posts
    One question about the Texas lineup today...just how unpleasant is a rougned odor?

  8. This user likes longstrangetrip's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    Riverbrian (05-26-2014)

  9. #5
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,529
    Like
    78
    Liked 173 Times in 107 Posts
    Blog Entries
    31
    Wouldn't the line up be better if the Twins kept Herrmann, released Kubel and played Pinto at DH?

    I keep hearing the words that those off season minor league free agent signings can't hurt.

    We have a DH in the line up today that has a slugging percentage lower than Drew Butera's.

    Kubel needs to step it up now. Strike out rates, walk rates and ISO are no longer small samples.

  10. This user likes jorgenswest's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    Danchat (05-26-2014)

  11. #6
    Senior Member Double-A
    Posts
    108
    Like
    11
    Liked 49 Times in 34 Posts
    Just read that Hicks has talked to Gardy and officially given up hitting left handed, but they can't send him to AAA to work on hitting righties. So today will be day one of that experiment. Rich Becker had a great season in 1996 after he quit switch hitting and never had to go to the minors in the process, so maybe it won't make a difference. But it does give a good excuse to send him down when Fuld comes back even after his minor success since his pep talk a couple weeks ago.

  12. This user likes Hawkeye12's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    glunn (05-26-2014)

  13. #7
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,529
    Like
    78
    Liked 173 Times in 107 Posts
    Blog Entries
    31
    Victorino did well last year switching midseason. This year he hasn't done as well in a small sample for splits.

    He now has one swing to develop. Hopefully there will be improvement against both left and right handed pitchers with the focus on one swing.

  14. #8
    Senior Member Triple-A Jerr's Avatar
    Posts
    272
    Like
    2
    Liked 85 Times in 63 Posts
    A fine Summer like day for a game and a Twins win!
    But, I wish it was someone else starting for the Twins.
    Prove me wrong, Correia

  15. #9
    Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Posts
    3,580
    Like
    199
    Liked 534 Times in 347 Posts
    Blog Entries
    32
    I am attending today. Hoping for a good game.

  16. This user likes stringer bell's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    Hosken Bombo Disco (05-26-2014)

  17. #10
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    351
    Like
    141
    Liked 280 Times in 152 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye12 View Post
    Just read that Hicks has talked to Gardy and officially given up hitting left handed, but they can't send him to AAA to work on hitting righties. So today will be day one of that experiment. Rich Becker had a great season in 1996 after he quit switch hitting and never had to go to the minors in the process, so maybe it won't make a difference. But it does give a good excuse to send him down when Fuld comes back even after his minor success since his pep talk a couple weeks ago.
    Wow, that is great news! His career OPS differential is around .180, and this year it is .280. I have to admit I was close to giving up completely on Hicksy, but this gives me a little hope.

    I still worry about his commitment to the game though. I'm sure he had fun playing Pebble Beach Wednesday, but I would have rather read about him taking some live batting practice as a RHB.

  18. This user likes longstrangetrip's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    glunn (05-26-2014)

  19. #11
    Why does it seem like Texas does a better job of putting young players into its lineup and seeing them have success than the Twins do? There are probably many reasons, but I'll take a wild guess and say that one of them is organization culture.

    For years, the Twins have talked about the major league clubhouse like it's advanced surgery, where you need post-doctoral graduate work to handle the stress. Therefore, they almost always lean toward giving opportunities to washed-up veterans instead of young players, and, with the exception of Aaron Hicks, young players need to spend years in the minors "proving" they can play. It becomes a self-perpetuating cycle, as management repeats the mantra of how difficult it is to succeed in the majors and magnify every error and mental mistake of a young player, so young players become hyper-sensitive and worried about failure and demotion. On the other hand, Ron Washington is known to be a manager who makes players comfortable and gives them confidence. Most people perform better when their manager gives them confidence instead of fills them with constant worry. Therefore, Texas becomes a place where younger players can succeed at at an earlier age.

    Also, there may be a little bit of the old "Nobody ever got fired for picking IBM" mentality. It's easier for management to push off blame if a "proven" veteran fails to perform than if the manager takes a chance on an "unproven" young player.
    "Where's the Crede?"

  20. This user likes Deduno Abides's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    Riverbrian (05-26-2014)

  21. #12
    Senior Member All-Star Thrylos's Avatar
    Posts
    4,175
    Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Like
    36
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    200
    Quote Originally Posted by longstrangetrip View Post
    One question about the Texas lineup today...just how unpleasant is a rougned odor?
    depends on how often he whiffs
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

  22. This user likes Thrylos's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    Hosken Bombo Disco (05-26-2014)

  23. #13
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer sampleSizeOfOne's Avatar
    Posts
    578
    Like
    167
    Liked 484 Times in 309 Posts
    Plouffe.

    A lead.

    It's been a while...

  24. #14
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    698
    Twitter
    @LoganTibbits
    Like
    498
    Liked 203 Times in 123 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Arcia just missed hitting that ball out.
    I couldn't be a player because of bad eyesight, so I decided to be an umpire instead.

  25. #15
    Head Moderator MVP glunn's Avatar
    Posts
    5,077
    Like
    4,534
    Liked 716 Times in 380 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiTownTwinsFan View Post
    Game-time forecast: Partly cloudy with a 50-percent chance of rain. Winds blowing from right to left field at 5-10 m.p.h. Temperature around 80.

    Rangers:
    SP, Tepesch

    Shin-Soo Choo DH
    Elvis Andrus SS
    Mitch Moreland 1B
    Adrian Beltre 3B
    Alex Rios RF
    Chris Gimenez C
    Leonys Martin CF
    Michael Choice LF
    Rougned Odor 2B

    Twins:
    SP, Correia

    Brian Dozier 2B
    Joe Mauer 1B
    Trevor Plouffe 3B
    Oswaldo Arcia RF
    Josh Willingham LF
    Jason Kubel DH
    Kurt Suzuki C
    Aaron Hicks CF
    Eduardo Escobar SS

    --------------------------------

    Brian will post some thoughts for you here.
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Things to Think About:

    1. Texas -- Perhaps nowhere in the US of A will you find a state prouder of themselves than Texas. The state pride shows up in the many slogans... The Lone Star State... Don't Mess with Texas... It's like a whole other country... On the 8th Day God Created Texas... Obviously you get the picture... Texas thinks they are better than Arkansas and 95 percent of all Texans have not traveled past Arkansas. When Texas was first formed... the border stretched all the way into modern day Wyoming. As a condition of statehood... Texas was forced to give up a large portion of it's land because it was important to the government that Oklahoma has a panhandle where nobody lives. Economically... Texas is a major exporter of Oil, Beef, Jalapeño's, Football Players and Cheap Labor.

    2. The Rangers -- They were established in 1961 and named after Clayton Moore. Original uniforms actually came equipped with a Lone Ranger mask but they didn't have the eye holes and eyesight was a simple explanation for their 62-100 record. It was Jay Silverheels who convinced the baseball club to take off the masks in 1969. Which was about the time that KISS formed. Fast forward today and we have a huge disabled list with important players such as Prince Fielder, Jurickson Profar, Martin Perez, Matt Harrison and Derek Holland on it. GM Jon Daniels has been seen roaming the countryside wondering where all his players went. Shin Soo Choo currently leads the team in walks with 31... That makes him the Walker Texas Ranger Walker award leader.

    3. Willingham and Arcia -- OK... it's May 26 and they are back and in the lineup. It doesn't take much imagination to conclude... Going into the season... The front office probably believed that the combination of these two were supposed to supply a large portion of the power on this team. They are back and healthy now... Let's see if they can do what they are expected to do. As a hitter... Arcia was supposed to watch the veteran Willingham and learn what to do. It ended up being the opposite. Arcia hurt his wrist on April 4th and Willingham copied him on April 6th.

    4. Josmil Pinto... Gardy it's your lineup... But I gotta ask... What are you doing in regards to Pinto? You just came off a swing of 5 games of National League Parks and Josmil Pinto started just one of those 5 games. I think we can say he's rested unless he stayed up late last night to play video games. In the one game he started he hit a home run. While Kurt Suzuki has gone 2 for his past 15. If Pinto doesn't start at catcher today... DH would have been option because Kubel is 0 for his last 11. Yet... Pinto is on the bench once again.

    5. Memorial Day... My wife thinks that I need a Memorial Day every day but she says that because I forget to pick up milk sometimes. Today is a big day... It isn't just a day off. Many Americans have sacrificed more than I could ever imagine. They fought and died for something bigger than all of us. I don't ever want to take it for granted. I try to imagine what it was like to be on a landing craft heading for Omaha Beach. You got to get through Council Bluffs just to reach the beach and slog through deep water carrying heavy equipment maybe 200 yards under heavy fire just to reach the beach which was loaded with landmines while bullets picked off those around you at a horrible pace. The story is well known but I try to imagine what it was truly like. To know that you got to get out and move forward with the weight of the country and world on your shoulders when natural instinct would have been to swim back to Portsmouth England. I know I would have been scared and I know I would have been thinking of my loved ones and it's time for loved ones to think about them. Not just them... Every last one of them from the 18th Century to today.
    This setup was a great way to start my day. RB, you are both hilarious and profound.

  26. These 3 users like glunn's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    longstrangetrip (05-26-2014), Riverbrian (05-26-2014), Willihammer (05-26-2014)

  27. #16
    Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Posts
    3,580
    Like
    199
    Liked 534 Times in 347 Posts
    Blog Entries
    32
    Are there stats regarding which umps get their calls overturned the most?

  28. #17
    Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Posts
    3,580
    Like
    199
    Liked 534 Times in 347 Posts
    Blog Entries
    32
    Well, that lead didn't last long.

  29. #18
    Senior Member All-Star James's Avatar
    Posts
    1,274
    Like
    293
    Liked 140 Times in 87 Posts
    Pitchers... Some day they may learn how to throw the ball to first.
    You can come up with statistics to prove anything. Forty percent of all people know that.

  30. #19
    Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Posts
    3,580
    Like
    199
    Liked 534 Times in 347 Posts
    Blog Entries
    32
    All runs "earned".

  31. #20
    Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Posts
    1,044
    Like
    1,640
    Liked 489 Times in 285 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    Are there stats regarding which umps get their calls overturned the most?
    This is an Aaron Hicks thread, stringer bell. The game thread is that way

    enjoy the ball game at Target Field today

  32. This user likes Hosken Bombo Disco's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    Riverbrian (05-26-2014)

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.