Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Find me a center fielder

Liked 2,304 Times in 1,295 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Current MLB backups:

Colorado is worth a phone call because they are kinda silly with CF options right now... both Drew Stubbs and Brandon Barnes would look good in a Twins uniform.

The Cards are also worth a call... If Bourjos is too expensive... Maybe the price is lower for Jon Jay.

The Pirates are worth a call... Just to see if Jose Tabata could be had cheaply. I've also been a fan of Josh Harrison. I've never seen him play CF but I think he could.

AAAA:

I would be interested in both Tony Campana and Julio Borbon... Really interested.

And I think Melky Mesa would be a lottery ticket... And you can't win the lottery unless you buy a ticket. Chances are... you just gave away a Buck but Melky Mesa could payoff big.
    Last edited by Riverbrian; 05-26-2014 at 09:53 AM.

Liked 399 Times in 263 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    I don't get the lack of patience. Prior to Saturday's game, he had gotton on base in 12 straight games. It's not as though the rest of the line up did anything on Saturday. So why fixate on one game? I think it's a style thing. If you're going to have a laid-back attitude, you better put up Mauer numbers. Even Mauer takes flack for not busting his tail because he makes it look easy. Give the kid a break. Failure is part of development. Deal with it.
    I think it depends on your idea of patience, and how patient you are with Buxton as well. Pressing Hicks into Major League futility doesn't seem terribly patient.

I think a replacement level CF with options or somewhat aged veteran who can still cover CF for a couple months while Hicks can learn how to track a ball and get his swing together shows more patience than pushing a guy into service he's not ready for.

We're all waiting on Buxton, but he's been injured this year. We don't know the time table, but it should be at least one full season away, if not two. I would rather have a more polished Hicks to earn his place on the roster as CF, 4th OF or LF, than placeholder Hicks who is just waiting for Buxton to come and eat his lunch for him.

edit: to your point on getting on base 12 games in a row, that's only part of development. Even after getting on base 12 games in a row he sports a .581 ops, and still loses fly balls. He shows the ability to make advanced plays that someone of his level should not, such as coax a walk and make the amazing crashing off the wall catch, but he lacks many of the fundamentals such as tracking fly balls and making solid contact with the bat. I think a stint in AAA would polish him up.
    Last edited by Sconnie; 05-26-2014 at 10:25 AM.

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 489 Times in 285 Posts
    Has Fuld said how he is doing?

Member Single-A
    Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Melky Mesa was just acquired by the Blue Jays along with TWins' old friend, P. J. Walters. For cash! Now, trade for Melky with the Jays.

Liked 2,304 Times in 1,295 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't get the lack of patience. Prior to Saturday's game, he had gotton on base in 12 straight games. It's not as though the rest of the line up did anything on Saturday. So why fixate on one game? I think it's a style thing. If you're going to have a laid-back attitude, you better put up Mauer numbers. Even Mauer takes flack for not busting his tail because he makes it look easy. Give the kid a break. Failure is part of development. Deal with it.
    I promise to be very patient with Aaron Hicks... I have high hopes for him.

However... At this moment in time... I feel it was the Twins Front Office showing the lack of patience by giving him the starting job prematurely.

In my opinion... His bat isn't ready... I rarely see him hit the ball hard. Defensively... He needs work on balls hit over his head and I'd like to see him become more aggressive with his arm.

He has a hose... I'd like to see him just attack with it on occasion.

6. This user likes Riverbrian's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Sconnie (05-26-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 61 Times in 48 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't know of any with a rifle arm and an ability to have a .330 OBP. That type of on base percentage doesn't kill your line up and it looks like he just needs to tweak parts of his game. He is better than anyone suggested. If you are looking just to send Hicks down, I agree with The suggestions for Cubs utility player, St Louis guys and a guy we already have up in Santana. If we make Santana the starter we could sign Juan Pierre to back up. He'll hit like crap and has a bad arm but can run and doesn't cost anything in terms of talent.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The Twins just acquired a CF who has 109 OPS+ (.263/.417/.342) in the majors this season. That's Hicks' RHB slash line. He just quit switch hitting. Give him some time. All the replacement level players mention (including Sizemore) can't touch this.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

9. These 2 users like Thrylos's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Hosken Bombo Disco (05-26-2014), ScottyB (05-26-2014)

Liked 33 Times in 24 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    The Twins just acquired a CF who has 109 OPS+ (.263/.417/.342) in the majors this season. That's Hicks' RHB slash line. He just quit switch hitting. Give him some time. All the replacement level players mention (including Sizemore) can't touch this.
    It should be interesting now that Hicks is giving up left hand hitting. I think he'll be able to get the ball into the outfield more often. Also, anyone know how Fuld is doing? I thought he'd be back by now. I think he's a fine backup and we don't need to acquire another CF, or at least not trade for one.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 51 Times in 35 Posts
    Blog Entries
    He did?

Twins Moderator All-Star ChiTownTwinsFan's Avatar
    Twitter
    @Sheradoodles
    Liked 1,943 Times in 1,138 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AM. View Post
    He did?
    Yes

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 51 Times in 35 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiTownTwinsFan View Post
    Yes
    Oh. Just saw it in the Star Trib. That's good news.

Senior Member All-Star 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 198 Times in 97 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AM. View Post
    He did?

News to me too. But apparently, yes. http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-...from-left-side

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 464 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries
    That's the answer. Give him a month or more strictly as a right-handed hitter and see how he does.

As for tracking fly balls, I wish more outfielders on the Twins tracked them as well as he does. He's gotten turned around on a few screaming liners. But he's the best defensive center fielder in the system not named Buxton. People pine for Revere or some comparable replacement player. Few have the range or arm that Hicks possesses.

All the things he has struggled with are unique to the majors (triple decker stands behind home plate where high drives get lost, exploding sliders, etc.) He will only learn to overcome them by playing against major league competition. Meanwhile, how is a .330 OBP out of the number 9 hole hurting us?
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 668 Times in 377 Posts
    As for tracking fly balls, I wish more outfielders on the Twins tracked them as well as he does. He's gotten turned around on a few screaming liners. But he's the best defensive center fielder in the system not named Buxton. People pine for Revere or some comparable replacement player. Few have the range or arm that Hicks possesses.
    I honestly have no clue who you are watching out there but it isn't Hicks.

17. These 3 users like TheLeviathan's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

jokin (05-26-2014), Sconnie (05-26-2014), snepp (05-26-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    Except that by using a "Gomez timetable", Byron Buxton would already be established as the future of the franchise in center field. Hicks has this year and maybe part of next year to establish himself. I have said it many times in many ways, I don't think Hicks will ever hit enough to be a viable regular as a corner OF.
    Alternatively, we'll be in the middle of bitching about how the 22-year-old Buxton is a bust while the 26-year-old Hicks is starting to blossom on that timeline. Morneau was a bust until 2006. Ditto Cuddyer. Hunter took time to figure things out too, like most prospects do.

Let's give Hicks some time to figure things out and see what he can be. If he needs to go to AAA, that's what Fuld is for. We don't need a stopgap centerfielder. We need to develop the talent we have.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 221 Times in 96 Posts
    Chris Denorfia

If you ask the same question about a fifth starter I would look back to SD and say Tim Stauffer.

Liked 399 Times in 263 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ALessKosherScott View Post
    Alternatively, we'll be in the middle of bitching about how the 22-year-old Buxton is a bust while the 26-year-old Hicks is starting to blossom on that timeline. Morneau was a bust until 2006. Ditto Cuddyer. Hunter took time to figure things out too, like most prospects do.

Let's give Hicks some time to figure things out and see what he can be. If he needs to go to AAA, that's what Fuld is for. We don't need a stopgap centerfielder. We need to develop the talent we have.
    And when Fuld gets his bell rung again, then what? No CF on the roster, or promote a guy who still isn't ready? I firmly believe every team needs two people who can play center on the MLB roster and at least one in AAA. Right now, there is one on the DL and one in the bigs who isn't ready.

For crying out loud they sent Hermann to AAA to work on CF! A guy who they pulled from the OF to be catcher.

21. This user likes Sconnie's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

jokin (05-26-2014)

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 859 Times in 553 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sconnie View Post
    And when Fuld gets his bell rung again, then what? No CF on the roster, or promote a guy who still isn't ready? I firmly believe every team needs two people who can play center on the MLB roster and at least one in AAA. Right now, there is one on the DL and one in the bigs who isn't ready.

For crying out loud they sent Hermann to AAA to work on CF! A guy who they pulled from the OF to be catcher.
    Well-stated. You have to have 2 legit CF options at the major league level and at least 3 on the 40-man roster. They must not mind appearing to be laughingstocks by first, keeping Bartlett over acutal CFers....and now, throwing Hermann out there as #3 on the depth chart.

Perhaps the Twin need look no further than the Texas Rangers, among their current 13-man DL list are two candidates. Engel Beltre is out of options, and is eligible to come off of the DL this Thursday. They also have 29-year old Joe Aducci, out with a broken finger, he's played quite a bit of CF in the minors.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Well-stated. You have to have 2 legit CF options at the major league level and at least 3 on the 40-man roster.
    FWIW, they got those 3 Max Kepler has been exclusively playing Centerfield the last couple weeks in Florida
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 859 Times in 553 Posts
    Blog Entries
    FWIW, they got those 3 Max Kepler has been exclusively playing Centerfield the last couple weeks in Florida
    That there are multiple players on the 40 man who are not ready to play upper-level minor league ball, let alone major league ball, is a whole different problem with the Twins roster construction.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast