Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Find me a center fielder

Administrator Double-A Twins Daily Admin's Avatar
    Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries

Find me a center fielder

Aaron and I talked a little about this on Gleeman and the Geek and I'd like to enlist the forum's help.

It's driving me crazy watching Hicks in MLB, similar to how it drove me crazy to watch Carlos Gomez in MLB. He needs time in AAA. He might need a lot of time in AAA. And the only reason he's here is because the Twins simply don't have any type of replacement with Fuld on the DL.

So find me a replacement, and by "replacement" I mean a replacement level player whom the Twins could acquire from another team. I don't even mean a major league center fielder, or at least not a starter. I certainly don't mean a prospect. I'm talking about a backup center fielder or a starting AAA center fielder that isn't going to kill us. I'm talking about the definition of filler.. The kind of guy that we can flip to a team for a solid reliever, or a prospective middle-of-the-rotation pitcher.

Winner gets my first born. Or a Minnesota-based Papa John's pizza. (My choice.) Hell, I'll award the top 3 - and I don't even have three kids, so one of you lucky posters is getting the dog. (Or, again, a pizza.) And also credit in a story if I write about this, which is looking increasingly compulsory.

I keep bragging about the great baseball minds out here, so don't prove me wrong. Open up another tab and get the Twins out of this mess.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 812 Times in 512 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Toronto has a guy named Maesteroni who fits that mold

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 812 Times in 512 Posts
    Blog Entries
    On a more serious note, AJ Polluck strikes me as a guy who can be acquired cheaply.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 663 Times in 374 Posts
    I keep saying it - Peter Bourjos appears to be in the doghouse in St. Louis. He'd be ideal.

5. This user likes TheLeviathan's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Danchat (05-26-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer amjgt's Avatar
    Liked 165 Times in 95 Posts
    What about someone like Drew Stubbs in Colorado. They seem to have a relatively full OF which is leading to time share.

Stubbs is on a 1yr, $4M deal and has always player CF (decently).

Mastroiani & A.Pressley really do seem to fit. I'm down for Danny Santana getting a look since he is swinging so well.
    How about Xavier Avery? Probably too much of a prospect. How about Justin Ruggiano?
    Last edited by meister; 05-26-2014 at 08:02 AM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 164 Times in 104 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    I keep saying it - Peter Bourjos appears to be in the doghouse in St. Louis. He'd be ideal.
    I did read about his benching after a poor April, but his strong May numbers have him at his career OBP of .306. I think the Cardinals have the player they expected. Good defense. Weak bat. His defense will make him a valuable bench OF when Taveras arrives. Unfortunately, I don't think the Cardinals will be looking to designate him for assignment or dump him in trade.

Quote Originally Posted by jorgenswest View Post
    I did read about his benching after a poor April, but his strong May numbers have him at his career OBP of .306. I think the Cardinals have the player they expected. Good defense. Weak bat. His defense will make him a valuable bench OF when Taveras arrives. Unfortunately, I don't think the Cardinals will be looking to designate him for assignment or dump him in trade.
    These are all reasons why he fits what John was looking for also.

Nyjer Morgan looked great when we saw him in Cleveland. If Bourn is ever 100%, you'd think Morgan would be very expendable, perhaps even within the division.

Emilio Bonifacio has played plenty of center with the Cubs. He was picked up for virtually nothing earlier this year and the Cubs are going nowhere.

11. This user likes glanzer's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

tarheeltwinsfan (05-26-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
    Why were the Twins so reluctant to pick up Bonifacio? He would be a perfect fit for them and cheap to boot. But now I'd be willing to bet they will just ride with Hicks and Fuld when he comes off the disabled list, what other decent options are out there realistically?

The Twins should try to acquire Jose Tabata because he could be a very good player (look at his stats) and the Pirates definitely have outfiled depth at the major and minors (Josh Harrison, Travis Snider, and Gregory Polanco), and they could use a solid starter like Kyle Gibson and the Twins then could call up on May, Meyer, or Darnell for our rotation, and honestly this is the perfect time to trade Gibson for some talent.

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    These are all reasons why he fits what John was looking for also.
    OK. I thought he was looking for replacement level. I don't think we could get him for a reliever. The Cardinals aren't dumping him. Center fielders are to difficult to find. Trevor May possibly. Would you do the deal?

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    AAA Center Fielders 26 and older (I assume the younger players are still prospects). Take your pick.

NAME TEAM AGE
    Jason Bourgeois LOU 32
    Clete Thomas LHV 30
    Jason Pridie COL 30
    Julio Borbon NOR 28
    Corey Brown PAW 28
    Darin Mastroianni BUF 28
    Blake Tekotte CHA 27
    Nick Buss SAC 27
    Gorkys Hernandez CHA 26
    Matt den Dekker LV 26
    Tim Wheeler COL 26

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 461 Times in 290 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't get the lack of patience. Prior to Saturday's game, he had gotton on base in 12 straight games. It's not as though the rest of the line up did anything on Saturday. So why fixate on one game? I think it's a style thing. If you're going to have a laid-back attitude, you better put up Mauer numbers. Even Mauer takes flack for not busting his tail because he makes it look easy. Give the kid a break. Failure is part of development. Deal with it.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

17. These 3 users like cmathewson's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

DocBauer (05-31-2014), Joe A. Preusser (05-31-2014), tarheeltwinsfan (05-31-2014)

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 461 Times in 290 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Also, you're spoiled. Puckett. Hunter. Span. Few teams have had that kind of stability at that position. Still, there was Becker. And it took Hunter a couple of years to settle in. If you start chasing replacement players, you'll never develop the kid.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

19. This user likes cmathewson's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

tarheeltwinsfan (05-31-2014)

If we're going to give Hicks the Becker treatment, this is going to turn into 1996 really quickly. Gomez should be the history lesson as to why we should have a little patience.
    Last edited by ALessKosherScott; 05-26-2014 at 09:30 AM.

21. These 2 users like ALessKosherScott's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

DocBauer (05-31-2014), Reider (05-27-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 50 Times in 34 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Eddie Rosario.

I'll take sausage and pepperoni on my pizza. I don't need anymore kids.

Quote Originally Posted by jorgenswest View Post
    OK. I thought he was looking for replacement level. I don't think we could get him for a reliever. The Cardinals aren't dumping him. Center fielders are to difficult to find. Trevor May possibly. Would you do the deal?
    You're making an awful lot of assumptions about what it would or wouldn't take. I just think he fits the model of what was suggested.

Liked 397 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisKnutson View Post
    The Twins should try to acquire Jose Tabata because he could be a very good player (look at his stats) and the Pirates definitely have outfiled depth at the major and minors (Josh Harrison, Travis Snider, and Gregory Polanco), and they could use a solid starter like Kyle Gibson and the Twins then could call up on May, Meyer, or Darnell for our rotation, and honestly this is the perfect time to trade Gibson for some talent.
    I agree that Tabatta is a possibility, as well that the Pirates have been trade partners in the past, but isn't Gibson a bit steep? I would think Tabata could be had for Burton or Darnell.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 534 Times in 347 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ALessKosherScott View Post
    If we're going to give Hicks the Becker treatment, this is going to turn into 1996 really quickly. Gomez should be the history lesson as to why we should have a little patience.
    Except that by using a "Gomez timetable", Byron Buxton would already be established as the future of the franchise in center field. Hicks has this year and maybe part of next year to establish himself. I have said it many times in many ways, I don't think Hicks will ever hit enough to be a viable regular as a corner OF.

26. This user likes stringer bell's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Riverbrian (05-26-2014)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast