Liked 158 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: The Big Switch: Jared Burton

Senior Member Triple-A Paul Pleiss's Avatar
    Twitter
    @baseballpirate
    Liked 97 Times in 66 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I can't get behind Jarod Burton. I think it's time the Twins sent him down and brough up some youth. He might be rebounding from some early season trouble that saw his ERA balloon, but I don't think he's made the switch, at least not for the long term. Cut bait~

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 162 Times in 103 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It was foolish to extend him into this season prior to 2013. They had him under team control through last year. They don't need to extend him.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 58 Times in 47 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I could see the Twins extend him another 2 seasons after this one if he is interested and he remains solid the rest of the season. I don't see a huge offer maybe 5-7 million for 2 seasons tops. I realize we have depth here, but you can never have too much pitching.

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    I could see the Twins extend him another 2 seasons after this one if he is interested and he remains solid the rest of the season. I don't see a huge offer maybe 5-7 million for 2 seasons tops. I realize we have depth here, but you can never have too much pitching.
    You can have too many mediocre pitchers in decline.

6. This user likes jorgenswest's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

snepp (05-26-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 42 Times in 28 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    Perkins doesn't even make that. Burton, Duensing, & their combined 5 mill will def be off the books next year.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 372 Times in 197 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Don't extend him, but he's been terrific. He's got a long track record. It's always strange to me how quickly people give up on guys with track record.

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    Comparing numbers that stabilize at smaller sample, there has been a decline.

2011 K%=22.5% BB%=6.5%
    2013 K%=16.3% BB%=11.3%

A decline isn't unusual for a 33 year old reliever with a long track record. The Twins should have anticipated it. You don't get to be a 33 year old reliever without a long track record of good performance.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 123 Times in 89 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The best outcome is that he continues to be very good and the Twins can shop him at the deadline (even as "buyers" he would be a likely tradeable asset).

Twitter
    @baseballpirate
    Blog Entries
    Today's outing goes to show that you can't just cherry pick stats to make a player look good. Yes, Burton had a nice stretch after an afwul start, but that awful start is part of who he is as a player. And we're seeing him be ineffective again today. Jarod Burton, stick a fork in this guy.

Liked 42 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pleiss View Post
    Today's outing goes to show that you can't just cherry pick stats to make a player look good. Yes, Burton had a nice stretch after an awful start, but that awful start is part of who he is as a player. And we're seeing him be ineffective again today. Jared Burton, stick a fork in this guy.
    sorry........system error......... the edit created a new post..........
    Last edited by h2oface; 05-26-2014 at 03:52 PM.

Twitter
    @baseballpirate
    Blog Entries
    A Lament

By Percy Bysshe Shelley 1792–1822
    Retold by Paul Pleiss
    O world! O life! O time!
    On whose last steps JB doth climb,
    Trembling at that where he had stood 66ft 6in before;
    When will return the glory of your prime?
    No more—Oh, never more!

Out of the day and night
    A joy has taken flight;
    Fresh spring, and summer, and winter hoar,
    Move my faint heart with grief, but with delight
    No more—Oh, never more!

Liked 42 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pleiss View Post
    Today's outing goes to show that you can't just cherry pick stats to make a player look good. Yes, Burton had a nice stretch after an awful start, but that awful start is part of who he is as a player. And we're seeing him be ineffective again today. Jared Burton, stick a fork in this guy.
    The bad luck article?
    So true. He was given opportunity after opportunity to reel it in. And things where looking hopeful again and fans were waxing for the return to the season that Burton "earned" his contract. Totally ineffective today, and then allowed to finish the inning. While it is part of a managers job to notice trends and use them, (no, really! I see it all over the league and quickly, just not here) a player doesn't get to throw away parts of his performance that makes him look bad. Yeah...... that happened, too. Today, he was totally hittable, and giving up 3 in the 8th is a recipe for the blowout.

Twitter
    @baseballpirate
    Blog Entries
    Oh, Jarod Burton and the 6+ ERA, he sounds like the right guy to put in against an offense that he surrendered 3+ runs to in his last implosion of an outing... Great work JB!