Thread: Article: The Maturation of Trevor Plouffe

Twins Contributor Big-Leaguer Cody Christie's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: The Maturation of Trevor Plouffe

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 384 Times in 214 Posts
    Blog Entries
    He seems to be handling righthanders a lot better this year.

Senior Member Triple-A Paul Pleiss's Avatar
    Twitter
    @baseballpirate
    Liked 97 Times in 66 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I miss you cuddy!

Senior Member Triple-A DocBauer's Avatar
    Liked 173 Times in 98 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Plouffe has equally frustrated and intrigued me the past few seasons. We have seen him mature slowly but surely as a milb player. We have seen flashes of a real MLB bat with power, along with maddening inconsistency. Despite some poor errors, I've never been as down on his defense as others. Perhaps I missed what others have witnessed, but when I've watched him in the field I've seen a decent glove, decent range, and a good strong arm.

I am not yet convinced he's a good choice as a number 3 hitter, as he's been used so far this season. But I have to say that even after his recent dip and struggles, I've been pleased and surprised that he's still been maintaining contact and a good OB. And his doubles production has been very pleasing. He's one of those guys I've been maintaining, as Christie alluded to here, that needs those referenced 1500-2000 AB's to get where he needs to. I'm still really unsure what his ceiling is. A doubles machine with some OB and decent defense with a little homer power? Or does he truly have that 20+ HR power he has flashes along with that decent defense and good OB he's starting to show. I know this much, his approach and seeming comfort level at the plate is vastly improved. And his defense also appears to have reached another level.

Give Plouffe all the credit in the world for working on his game and making himself a better ball player. Not going to annoint him, just yet, as an integral piece to the future and this rebuild. But whether at 3B with Sano moving, which I don't see, or 1B, OF or super utility, he's making a real arguement this year to be a part of things.

I also believe this is yet another example of Bruno's outstanding work.

While Plouffe's ceiling is still in question, I believe he has raised his floor somewhat significantly.

Liked 3,159 Times in 1,351 Posts
    Plouffe has been perhaps the most pleasant positive development so far this season, IMO. That said, he's not a three hole hitter on a decent MLB team.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

6. This user likes USAFChief's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

snepp (05-25-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A Paul Pleiss's Avatar
    Twitter
    @baseballpirate
    Liked 97 Times in 66 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    Plouffe has been perhaps the most pleasant positive development so far this season, IMO. That said, he's not a three hole hitter on a decent MLB team.
    Plouffe has been pleasant, but I think Dozier has been the best. At the end of 2013 I think most people wanted to know if Dozier's 2nd half was for real. He is proving that it was and becoming even better on both sides of the ball. Brian Dozier is having a career year!