Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Article: Twins Minor League Report (5/23): Arcia and Willingham lead the Red Wings

Article: Twins Minor League Report (5/23): Arcia and Willingham lead the Red Wings

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Pretty soon I would like to see some starters in Cedar Rapids head back to EST and bring in the top arms that are waiting in the wings.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Never been a fan of Eades.

Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Adam Brett Walker II is hitting .300 over the last 10 games with a .317 OBP (his career norm) and .650 Slugging %. His 4 HRs and 16 RBI in that span (10 games) is encouraging as well. It was especially nice to see him hit 2 HRs against the best pitching staff and team in the FSL (Dunedin). His average sucks, but his production is on pace for what he did last year. His HRs and RBI are also tops in the Twins minor league system. The Miracle just have to put their hits togehter more often as a team. They leave too many guys on base (Especially Walker this year). Let's get one at home tonight now (Miracle).

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    They'll be looking to make room for Arcia after the Giants series. What about Willingham? I haven't really missed him but I'm sure he's got to be close to a return.

Anyone knew why we drafted Ryan Eades in the 2nd round last year? His stat lines were terrible. I thought our player development had VERY BIG problems. LOOK out:

Kevin Ziomek drafted by Tigers in the 2nd round and he was younger than Eades and also more dominant than Eades.

Nick Petree drafted by Cardinals in the 9th round and he was more dominant than Eades.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 41 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I like Jason Kubel and was glad when he made the team, but he has 13 RBIs and has done almost nothing since the first 2 or 3 weeks of the season.

Same with Colabello, but worse, which is sad because we're all rooting for him so much.

And especially horrific, is Hicks. Sick of Hicks. Gotta go. Send down. See if he can ever improve, but do it at AAA.

So surely there is room for Arcia and Willingham (and Fuld when he's ready).

Reinforcements, please.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
    No big deal but you have Arcia as pitcher of the day and Pelfrey as hitter.

Liked 87 Times in 54 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantes929 View Post
    I was going to say - all the more reason to bring up Arcia, he can both hit AND pitch.

Senior Member Triple-A
    I am one of the few supporters of Pelfrey and while the 5 scoreless is nice I don't think it should be much of a factor. 43 strikes in 83 pitches is horrible. Is his velocity back to near 95? Comes down to command and velocity for Pelfrey. If he doesn't have it, keep him down there til he does.

Member Rookie
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I am one of the few supporters of Pelfrey and while the 5 scoreless is nice I don't think it should be much of a factor. 43 strikes in 83 pitches is horrible. Is his velocity back to near 95? Comes down to command and velocity for Pelfrey. If he doesn't have it, keep him down there til he does.
    Pelfrey had zero strikeouts in his five innings. That makes me doubt that he's throwing anywhere near 95.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 856 Times in 552 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lightfoot789 View Post
    Adam Brett Walker II is hitting .300 over the last 10 games with a .317 OBP (his career norm) and .650 Slugging %. His 4 HRs and 16 RBI in that span (10 games) is encouraging as well. It was especially nice to see him hit 2 HRs against the best pitching staff and team in the FSL (Dunedin). His average sucks, but his production is on pace for what he did last year. His HRs and RBI are also tops in the Twins minor league system. The Miracle just have to put their hits togehter more often as a team. They leave too many guys on base (Especially Walker this year). Let's get one at home tonight now (Miracle).
    Dave Kingman's first 5.25 years of his MLB career from the past are likely as close a comp to hope for as to ABW2's first 5.25 years of his MLB career in the future (and he still has a long ways to go to possibly hit these #s):

HR 150 ISO .254 BB% 8.1 K% 28.5 Slash .229/.296/.482/.778

He's a much better athlete than the typical lumbering lumber king slugger. But even during this 10 game stretch, his K% is rising from his season average of 29.1% up to 34.1%.

Don't get me wrong, he's an exciting talent, and I'm pulling for him to flip the switch and somehow figure out how to take more walks and K less in order to take his game to a new level, but even the 5-year Oliver projections suggest that the above numbers would be about the best-case scenario (http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx...91&position=OF).

If you look around baseball stats since 2009, there just aren't many guys who stick around in the majors who have a K% over 28% and a single-digit BB%. Chris Davis is the one name that stands out on the plus side (wouldn't that be nice), while all the other few surviving names are around Kelly Shoppach level, and only 2OFs in the group (Drew Stubbs and Rick Ankiel). And there are no DHs in this list, which leaves that career option out. http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.asp...rs=0&sort=10,d

Senior Member Triple-A
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff A View Post
    Pelfrey had zero strikeouts in his five innings. That makes me doubt that he's throwing anywhere near 95.
    I would agree with that though even when he is touching that he doesn't seem to miss a whole lot of bats. I don't believe it is a phhyscal thing with him and whatever mechanical flaw that is keeping him from throwing hard is also keeping him from throwing accurately. If he can get back to the way he was throwing last July I would like him replacing Correia. If not then May or Meyer replacing Correia.

Senior Member Triple-A
    I have liked Willingham a lot but not excited about him coming back. Definitely looking forward to Arcia coming back and staying back.

Liked 43 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Pelfrey manages 43 strikes in 83 pitches. That is not promising. I don't see how Pelfrey can help this team now with May and Meyer knocking at the door. The way he gives up first inning runs and hits, I don't see how he could be a fit in the bullpen either.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    And not only that, we also apparently have moved our AA team closer to home:

The Top of the New Brighton order did their job, with the one through five hitters going a combined 8-20.*
    *Sorry Eric, I really do appreciate your efforts

Thanks for spotting my errors, team. Fixed. Wrote this up between 4 and 5am this morning and my brain was still asleep. But hey, AA in New Brighton would be pretty rad. Let's start a petition!

18. This user likes Eric R Pleiss's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

jokin (05-24-2014)

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric R Pleiss View Post
    Thanks for spotting my errors, team. Fixed. Wrote this up between 4 and 5am this morning and my brain was still asleep. But hey, AA in New Brighton would be pretty rad. Let's start a petition!
    I'm all in!

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    Pretty soon I would like to see some starters in Cedar Rapids head back to EST and bring in the top arms that are waiting in the wings.
    You may see some of the EST arms move up to Rookie League following the draft, but I think for the most part the guys at Low-A are sticking.

Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    Never been a fan of Eades.
    Eades had a disappointing final college season, but he pitched for a big time program and has MLB stuff. He might not stick as a starter, but he's a quality get. He's striking out just under 20% of the hitters he faces, have to like that. And Walk rate is way down in 2014.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast