Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Next move we make?

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 493 Times in 288 Posts
    C'mon people! Imagine a rotation of Nolasco, Hughes, Correia, Pelfrey, and Wandy Rodriguez!!

Seriously though, I like the Hicks debate and am undecided on it, but I think the Twins really need to figure out what to do with Pelfrey and Correia and get some more younger arms a chance.

2. This user likes Hosken Bombo Disco's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (05-23-2014)

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 867 Times in 557 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tobi0040 View Post
    "If, not when" is saying something is in fact going to happen. No?
    In the context of the discussion, "No".

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 288 Times in 146 Posts
    My only contribution to this thread will be the hope that the Twins aren't changing whatever plan they had for this year on the basis of being 2 games over .500 and in the WC race in late May.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,607 Times in 834 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Beezer07 View Post
    My only contribution to this thread will be the hope that the Twins aren't changing whatever plan they had for this year on the basis of being 2 games over .500 and in the WC race in late May.
    Change? No. Tweak? Absolutely.

If the Twins are somehow magically 52-46 in July, I wouldn't mind them "going for it" by dishing off a guy like Kepler for a centerfielder or a starting pitcher.

I mean, why not? Losing Kepler isn't going to kill the franchise and boy, this fanbase could really use a shot in the arm right about now.

(Kepler is a bad example right now because of his struggles but the point stands... I wouldn't dip into the top ten prospect list but I'd consider moving someone in the low minors with some upside)

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 46 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lightfoot789 View Post
    Grady Sizemore's stats - And we want Sizemore over Hicks why again? STOP IT!!!
    BA - OBP - SLG - OPS I agree. Why does anyone think that is an improvement?
    .218-- .293-- .336 --.629
    How is this an improvement?

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tarheeltwinsfan View Post
    How is this an improvement?
    It's not. It provides depth at a position of weakness and allows the team the possibility of demoting Hicks should the need arise.

Sizemore is not a good option to start in centerfield for a contending team. No one is making that argument.

Liked 1,297 Times in 750 Posts
    I'm also undecided on whether a return to AAA will be helpful to Hicks. On the offensive side, maybe he would be better off just staying in the majors and having to face MLB pitching rather than going to AAA, learning how to hit AAA pitching; then coming back to MLB and still having to adjust to major league pitchers. I just don't know.

But on the defensive side, I remember a Hicks comment from a week or two ago about the backgrounds being so different when he is in CF because of the size and height of major league stadiums. Does he really get to work on that if he is returned to AAA?

9. This user likes JB_Iowa's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Hosken Bombo Disco (05-23-2014)

Senior Member Double-A
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hosken Bombo Disco View Post
    Next move the Twins make? Well, Pittsburgh just DFA'd Wandy Rodriguez, who has basically been a better version of Kevin Correia in his career and started 2014 struggling the way Correia has.
    If the Pittsburg Pirates don't want the guy, we certainly don't. Free Meyer!

11. These 3 users like tarheeltwinsfan's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Hosken Bombo Disco (05-23-2014), jokin (05-23-2014), mike wants wins (05-23-2014)

Twins Moderator All-Star ChiTownTwinsFan's Avatar
    Twitter
    @Sheradoodles
    Liked 1,948 Times in 1,139 Posts
    Moderator note: Wish I had caught this earlier, but I'm going to interject this now anyway. Let's please stay off the 'if, when, fact, fiction' semantics discussions. I pretty much assume that everyone's suggestions and ideas are opinions, no matter how certainly stated. So go from there. I don't care how strongly you feel it or support it, let's share ideas without trumping yourselves right and others wrong. And if you just can't stomach it? The ignore function still works. Thanks.

13. This user likes ChiTownTwinsFan's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (05-24-2014)

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 867 Times in 557 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    I'm also undecided on whether a return to AAA will be helpful to Hicks. On the offensive side, maybe he would be better off just staying in the majors and having to face MLB pitching rather than going to AAA, learning how to hit AAA pitching; then coming back to MLB and still having to adjust to major league pitchers. I just don't know.

But on the defensive side, I remember a Hicks comment from a week or two ago about the backgrounds being so different when he is in CF because of the size and height of major league stadiums. Does he really get to work on that if he is returned to AAA?
    I saw that comment and interpreted it as more of a feeble excuse and cry for help as much as anything.

15. This user likes jokin's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

LaBombo (05-23-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think I would like Sizemore in CF and as a backup to Hicks and as a platoon option for Hicks against the tought RH. I dont know how Grady grades out defensively anymore but I am pretty sure he can play outfield better then Santana, Colabello, EE, Bartlett and possibly Fuld. So IF the RS release him or whatever its called the Twins should pick him up and when Fuld is done with the rehab assignment choose between Hicks and Fuld and Grady. Or put Hicks in AAA and keep everybody if thats the best option

17. This user likes pierre75275's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

jokin (05-23-2014)

Senior Member Double-A
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiTownTwinsFan View Post
    Moderator note: Wish I had caught this earlier, but I'm going to interject this now anyway. Let's please stay off the 'if, when, fact, fiction' semantics discussions. I pretty much assume that everyone's suggestions and ideas are opinions, no matter how certainly stated. So go from there. I don't care how strongly you feel it or support it, let's share ideas without trumping yourselves right and others wrong. And if you just can't stomach it? The ignore function still works. Thanks.
    Did I say something wrong? If so, I'm sorry. I realize this is a Twins fans' site in which many intelligent Twins fans are posting. I have been a Twins fan even when they were the original Washington Senators. Yes, I'm older than dirt. However I really have enjoyed the posts. I wish I could back up my posts with better stats and sabremetrics (I don't even know if I spelled this correctly). But the truth is that I can't back a lot of what I write up by stats. I just let fly with my comments which I think are relevant or funny and sometimes my fingers type faster than my brain works. I'm relatively new here, still a rookie, so bear with me. I'll try to use more facts and less emotion in my posts.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    You're doing just fine. Thanks for responding.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 56 Times in 31 Posts
    I'd take Wandy over either Pelfrey or Correia.

I'd take a ton of pitchers over those 3 though, so thats probably not saying a whole lot.

21. This user likes S.'s post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (05-23-2014)

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 464 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Wandy, Pelfrey, Correia. Yawn. Wake me when they bring the real arms up.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

23. This user likes cmathewson's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (05-24-2014)

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    This isn't about Sizemore. This is about Aaron Hicks. The Twins just need Sizemore to tread Hicksian water for a month or two while Aaron gets his head straight.
    .280/.419/.320

Hicks the last 2 weeks. Straight enough for you?
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

25. This user likes Thrylos's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

cmathewson (05-23-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 288 Times in 150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    And this begs the question of what the Twins were thinking back in April 2013 in promoting Hicks 2 levels, and then imposing an extra layer of pressure on Hicks by batting him in the leadoff spot. And then letting him twist in the wind with his epically bad start for April and much of May. His slow learning curve adaptations at each successive level are well-documented for all to see.
    ...and this begs the question of how long we will rehash 2013 decisions...

Senior Member All-Star 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 198 Times in 97 Posts
    This brings up the question of when people will realize that begging the question does not mean bringing up the question.

28. This user likes 70charger's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Ultima Ratio (05-24-2014)

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 672 Times in 381 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crarko View Post
    It's an Internet forum. I'm grateful that more of it isn't in all caps. With pictures of cats.
    i_cats_memes_014_50e6fc27a8cfb.jpg

If we cant trade the guys mentioned. Wont' get anything but its addition by subtraction.
    Continue winning and become a major buyer as we anticipate being better next year. Rosario caught cheating blew our chances as we were getting close to Stanton. Now he wont be traded. So either addition by subtraction and/or buyers. Honestly I think the Twins brass went into the season hoping to be buyers despite our record. They wanted to spend more $$ but held off in the offseason last year.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast