Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Article: Fantastic Fien

Twitter
    @Trimbletj
    Liked 48 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Fantastic Fien

He should be a FA at the end of 2018.........play it month by month or year by year, if someone wants to trade for him to be their closer, get what you can, we can find more setup guys.

Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Fien has been an effective setup man for Perkins. I would guess, if he continues to pitch like this, that he will get a contract similar to Burton's.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Highabove's Avatar
    Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
    At what point, should the Twins start holding on to their good Players.
    How many C prospects does this Organization really need?

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I really like fiery players like Fien. Seems like you know they're giving it they all every game. I'd just keep riding it out year by year. Even if he continues to pitch like he has he shouldn't really ever get overly expensive.

Great article! I tuned into the Tigers radio broadcast when he pitched against them in the last road trip and their announcers were baffled by who this guy has become.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 44 Times in 24 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I repeat my comment of yesterday: Fien has been a fine find.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 287 Times in 145 Posts
    Year-to-year deal. I'd be willing to do two years tops. Under no circumstances three years

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 26 Times in 20 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'd love to know what kind of reputation he has with other teams at this point. Do they groan when they see him getting ready to pitch or is he still just some semi-random guy in the Twins' pen?

I also I wonder if he has any chance of being the one random non-closer reliever who makes it to the All-Star game each year. Honestly, outside of strikeouts he's been a better pitcher than Perkins this year, I'm curious if that can hold up. Regardless, I'm a fan of his performance and his obvious passion for the game. I'll take a couple more like him, gladly.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
    Well, I don't want to trade him for pitching since he is a good pitcher himself. Our biggest current need is outfield but Willingham and Arcia are coming back, Parmalee is doing all right and Hicks is getting on base along with the fact that we all hope Buxton and Rosario will soon be out there so I don't want him traded for an outfielder that will just muddy the picture even more. Shortstop is the other spot so if we can package him with Santana for a guy we think will be better than Santana and will be a long term guy there then that would make sense. Otherwise, enjoy having a good reliever for the 8th inning. The hallmark of most Twins winning seasons has been that a lead after 7 will stay a lead. Tons of value there so only trade it for commensurate value.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 40 Times in 26 Posts
    Keep him and go year-to-year. Bullpen pitchers are volatile and he's not a free agent until 2019. He shouldn't get more than $5M a season even in his final year of arbitration.

12. This user likes DJL44's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

70charger (05-23-2014)

Twitter
    @Andy_Twitchell
    Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You have to love his intensity. Fun to watch!

Senior Member Double-A troyhobbs's Avatar
    Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Highabove View Post
    At what point, should the Twins start holding on to their good Players.
    How many C prospects does this Organization really need?
    The Twins have held on to players longer than they should have in most cases over the past few losing seasons, but I agree (at the moment) that they might be closer to contention than at least I thought going in to this year. It all depends on how things transpire and what someone would offer to get him but obviously they wouldn't trade him for a career minor leaguer.

Fien is 30 years old. Let him go arbitration and play it year by year, he has been good, but relievers aren't THAT hard to find out there. If a deadline offer came around from a team looking to invest in a closer, they would have to take a serious look at it.

Liked 33 Times in 24 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Fien is a great find by this organization. But we should avoid a long-term deal, just in case.
    BTW, the name of the article should be "Fantastic Mr. Fien".

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 662 Times in 374 Posts
    Finding guys like Fien is one of this organizations clearest and most consistent areas of strength.

18. This user likes TheLeviathan's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

benchwarmerjim (05-23-2014)

They should trade him this year while he's at his highest value. The organization does a good job finding these types of bull pen arms growing trees. They are also very loyal to there players so it'll be interesting to see at the deadline.