Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Future Outfield

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 534 Times in 347 Posts
    Blog Entries

Future Outfield

All of the discussion about Aaron Hicks has gotten me to think what the Twins outfield will look like one scant year from now.

I foresee Buxton installed as center fielder by the end of May. Flanking him would be a combination of Trevor Plouffe, Chris Parmelee, and Oswaldo Arcia. While the corner defense would not be great, there is mashing potential.

This assumes the promotion of Sano as well as Buxton. I can't see a future for Hicks as a corner outfielder.

Liked 397 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm with you, best case scenario for Hicks with this team is 4th outfielder, even if Buxton never materializes.

Senior Member Triple-A DocBauer's Avatar
    Liked 174 Times in 99 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm really believing to believe Plouffe has a future with the Twins. The next Cuddyer? Hmmmm. Wait and see about that.

Like your idea here Stringer, see where you're headed. But I'm not convinced that Sano, even fully healthy which I expect, will be ready to take over 3B immediately. Think Plouffe may still be there.

I still maintain real belief that Buxton will rake enough the rest of this season to warrant a real shot at the starting CF job next season. Arcia will definitely flank him. Call me an optimist, but have a really good feeling about Parmelee turning a corner and maybe being the other corner OF.

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 206 Times in 115 Posts
    Buxton by May 2014? This May?

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 534 Times in 347 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    Buxton by May 2014? This May?
    In the first paragraph, I said "one scant year from now", so I meant May 2015.
    Last edited by stringer bell; 05-24-2014 at 01:29 PM.

Twitter
    @crarko
    Liked 776 Times in 408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    In the first paragraph, I said "one scant year from now", so I meant May 20215.
    He'll only be 18000 years old, so that's probably enough time in the minors.
    Oh, I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay,
    I sleep all night and I work all day.

7. These 6 users like crarko's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

iTwins (05-23-2014), notoriousgod71 (05-25-2014), ScottyB (05-23-2014), Siehbiscuit (05-23-2014), Steve Lein (05-23-2014), Tibs (05-23-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'll take no more injuries and lay off the weed until (if it ever) is legal in the US/MLB.

New Britain was supposed to be the best ticket for a Twins baseball fan.

Buxton
    Rosario
    Vargas
    Sano

Instead it's been a one man show - Vargas.

Well, Rosario returns next week. Vargas' injury doesn't appear to be serious. And maybe Buxton will return in 2 weeks.

Anyone know any updates on Sano's recovery? The scenario in which I believe Sano could start or by mid 2015 actually make it to MLB is if he is healthy enough to play every day in the AFL. If he plays there, then maybe the DWL and has enough momentum in ST - he could make the team.

Buxton needs to hit .300+ at New Britain with plate discipline. And at least 50 games of that. Then I could see some contingencies for him being in MN by May 2015 - elsewise I'd believe it'd be late 2015.

I think Arcia should be up soon. IMO, he's a better option than Colabello and just as good as Kubel. They both strike out 30% of the time (Arcia is similar) but Arcia is a better defender and has more power. I also think his 'moxy' would help the team in those close games. He believes he will win mentality.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Buxton won't be up until he's more consistent (i.e., after super 2 date). Rosario will hopefully be your LF. Arcia in right. Hicks in CF until Buxton is up. That's my hope.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 379 Times in 233 Posts
    I don't like the idea of Rosario in the OF as his offensive capabilities don't look like they'll be an asset in a corner position, but unless the Twins try Dozier at SS again, I don't know where else he's going to play.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts
    I think unless Buxton for some strange reason misses the whole season, he is up by the All-Star break in 2015.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 813 Times in 513 Posts
    Blog Entries
    While Buxton is an excellent prospect, I do think it's wise to temper expectations a bit. He hasn't even been exposed to AA yet. Once his wrist heals, he will get there, but May of 2015 essentially means he destroys AA like he did A and A+, which may be wishful thinking. Given his season is rapidly becoming ruined due to injury, I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up spending more time in the minors.

13. These 2 users like diehardtwinsfan's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

DocBauer (05-24-2014), JB_Iowa (05-23-2014)

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Maybe Rosario should be in CF on his return......his bat plays there, and Buxton's plays in a corner (which is kind of funny.....if you are willing to have Rosario in CF and Buxton in LF, but their D matches better up the other way......).
    Lighten up Francis....

Quote Originally Posted by Sconnie View Post
    I'm with you, best case scenario for Hicks with this team is 4th outfielder, even if Buxton never materializes.
    Best case scenerio? I know a lot of people are down on him, but best case scenario to me is he turns it around with the bat and becomes a productive corner OF.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,589 Times in 826 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SwainZag View Post
    Best case scenerio? I know a lot of people are down on him, but best case scenario to me is he turns it around with the bat and becomes a productive corner OF.
    Yep. "Best case scenario" for Aaron Hicks is All-Star centerfielder. That hasn't changed. It has become less likely but it's still a possibility. The guy has 438 MLB PAs.

Twitter
    @LoganTibbits
    Liked 203 Times in 123 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Maybe Rosario should be in CF on his return......his bat plays there, and Buxton's plays in a corner (which is kind of funny.....if you are willing to have Rosario in CF and Buxton in LF, but their D matches better up the other way......).
    I don't have a problem with Rosario potentially in LF. I don't see why his bat doesn't play there, but I don't put much stock in the idea of each position has certain expected offensive outputs. Get your best players on the field.
    I couldn't be a player because of bad eyesight, so I decided to be an umpire instead.

18. These 2 users like Tibs's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

DocBauer (05-24-2014), Sconnie (05-25-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 31 Times in 25 Posts
    Next year's starting OF will be Arcia in LF (.815 OPS), Hicks in CF (.735 OPS), Parmelee in RF (OPS .800). Buxton won't be up unless he absolutely FORCES his way up. If he does, Arcia, Parmelee and Mauer rotate at DH and Hicks moves to RF.

Liked 287 Times in 145 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Your best defensive CF should play in CF, all other things being equal. There is no reason for offensive output to determine defensive positions.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,589 Times in 826 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Beezer07 View Post
    Your best defensive CF should play in CF, all other things being equal. There is no reason for offensive output to determine defensive positions.
    Yep. The net outcome is the same offensively. You put your best defenders at the key positions.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hicks-Buxton-Rosario and Hicks-Buxton-Arcia are the most likely candidates. Rosario, Plouffe, and Parmelee are the most likely trade baits in the next 12 months.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 54 Times in 30 Posts
    I have no tangible evidence to support this thought, but I feel like Hicks may end up as the more likely trade candidate than Plouffe. Plouffe's bat currently plays better in a corner OF spot than Hicks and Plouffe has a lot more utility in that he also provides the team with a back up 3B, which gives Gardy lot more flexibility to give Sano some days off or time at DH once he's up with the team.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast