Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: REVIEW: 'Down to the Last Pitch' by Tim Wendel

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Twitter
    @LoganTibbits
    Liked 203 Times in 123 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Definitely getting this book. Just have to decide if I want it on kindle to save a couple bucks or if I want the actual book so I can share it.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
    Fans on these boards always talk so fondly about those years and with good reason but partly they forget what made them special. These teams were mostly developed from our minor league system or trading for prospects. They did not win every year and regardless of what people say now, no one saw 1987 happening before it happened. There was a good core but things fell apart and came together again often. It wasn't just a long enjoyable upward all the time kind of thing. Beating the Vegas odds of over 100-1 against was part of what made 1987 special. Both Atlanta and Minnesota coming off 1990 seasons in last place and also being Vegas 100-1 against made 1991 extra special. Those that look back on those years fondly and can't imagine it happening ever again with these Twins are kind of missing the magic of baseball.

Administrator Double-A Twins Daily Admin's Avatar
    Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Cody, I think this was an excellent review of this book. Thank you so much for contributing it.

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 488 Times in 285 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantes929 View Post
    Fans on these boards always talk so fondly about those years and with good reason but partly they forget what made them special. These teams were mostly developed from our minor league system or trading for prospects. They did not win every year and regardless of what people say now, no one saw 1987 happening before it happened.
    Not necessarily true. As you say, their fortunes waxed and waned, but included in that, they did make a funny little challenge for the AL West title in 1984. The core of the team was already in place and still so young, and I think Tom Kelly was even the third base coach (as Gardy was in 1991). Not that they would have beaten Detroit in the '84 ALCS or have gone to the Series, but they did compete for the AL West title until the final, fateful series.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantes929 View Post
    Those that look back on those years fondly and can't imagine it happening ever again with these Twins are kind of missing the magic of baseball.
    Absolutely, absolutely true.

Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I was lucky enough to get this book autographed by Tim Wendel when he was doing a book signing in St. Paul earlier this spring. I really enjoyed this book and how he weaved the personal stories in with narratives of each game.