Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pitchers & K's

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 384 Times in 214 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by markos View Post
    Now let's say that through some change he is able to drop his BB% down to 5%, but at the expense of dropping his K% down to 15%. Now his K/BB ratio is 3.0, so only 25% of the non-BIP PAs end up on base. However, the tradeoff is that he is now allowing more balls in play. Is that tradeoff worth it?
    I think so. Tthe correlations of K-BB% and K/BB to some popular stats for starters in 2013.
    ERA FIP x FIP SIERA
    K-BB% -0.60767 -0.77164 -0.89135 -0.96261
    K/BB -0.53073 -0.66139 -0.74294 -0.77169

Basically the tradeoff's worth it if you drop your walk rate by more than you drop your K rate.

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 489 Times in 285 Posts
    All the metrics and the %'s and x/9's are all so convincing, and I like NicksV's comments, but yet I see Mark Buehrle just pitched another game tonight (I will hesitate to say he "won" another game tonight, because as everybody in the saber metrics world knows, wins are meaningless ) but even so, I find myself agreeing with the general sentiment of the original post -- a pitcher can be successful without being a strikeout pitcher. An entire staff might even be successful over the course of the season without being top heavy in strikeouts, I don't know.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12