Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Interesting Roster decisions coming

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 852 Times in 548 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Actually, I believe we're up to five now.

Fuld, Mastroianni, Bonifacio, Presley, and Sizemore.

They're all bad options and should be expected to put up similar numbers. Fuld and Bonifacio have been the best (1.1 and 1.2 fWAR) while Presley and Sizemore have been Hicksian this season (-0.7 and -0.2 fWAR respectively). Mastro hasn't played in MLB since leaving the Twins.
    Ahh....Kenny Wilson....we hardly knew ye....

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,588 Times in 825 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Guerrier's return only makes marginally more sense that forcing Bartlett onto the roster. It's like someone at One Twins Way in the offseason planning meetings wrote

"We need a to re-establish a veteran presence that exemplifies the Twins Way"

as a bullet point for changing the culture, and by golly, they were going to follow through with checking off that bullet point, whether or not it actually still made sense in the light of day.
    I can't argue with this. The Guerrier move might work out well enough for the Twins in 2014 but even if it does, I will never understand the decision.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by WLFINN View Post
    Has Nunez played any infield since joining the big league club?
    He played a full game at 3rd. The Twins obviously are taking it verrry slowly about trying him out at SS. He probably gets his chance when Santana inevitably cools off at the plate.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Big difference. They were leaving via free agency and the Twins were a decent team. They weren't coming off three consecutive 90+ loss seasons and fighting to re-engage an increasingly apathetic fanbase.
    I was talking about when they traded away a player, instead of adding one, at the deadline, when they were in contention, and both players said "we always play for a future that never comes". Was not talking about when they let those two go. My bad for not being clear.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 37 Times in 31 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    I was talking about when they traded away a player, instead of adding one, at the deadline, when they were in contention, and both players said "we always play for a future that never comes". Was not talking about when they let those two go. My bad for not being clear.
    When those 2 were here, what players of note did the Twins trade away during the season?

Liked 2,297 Times in 1,289 Posts
    Blog Entries
    On the main discussion... Unless the light bulb turns for Hicks and shines bright. I think he should go down when Fuld becomes healthy.

I think this is now Parm's chance to show what he can do in RF. He's a former first round draft pick. He has hit very nicely in AAA but he's never had an extended run as a starter in the majors. I think you let Parm run and let Arcia get some swings in AAA for awhile. If Parm struggles and Arcia is stroking it. Make the switch at that point.

When Hammer is ready... Take your pick... It's either Santana or Nunez. Mostly Likely Santana due to his youth. Nunez will have to learn some CF on the fly and he will have to play there to learn. So I don't think Fuld should have an every day gig in CF.

On the off-topic discussion on Bonofacio... Of course I have some thoughts.

That moment is gone and the Cubs won't just hand him over so I guess that's it. The window is sadly shut. In regards to the discussion... He's being labeled by some as AAAA or Presley like filler. I do think some perspective is needed.

1. If Bonofacio was OPS'ing at a rate that is termed satisfactory to peak some interests... With his speed and his experience at 6 different positions... if you added to that a higher OPS... Kansas City would have never released him... I'd say that Florida would have never traded him to Toronto and his free agency price tag would eventually place him in LA or NY. He was only available to the Twins as an option because his OPS doesn't satisfy some. Not wanting him because he lacks a little pop doesn't really add up. He's a top of the line insurance policy and super utility. He's #25 on the 25 Man and about as good as it gets for #25 on the 25 man.

2. When I was all hot and bothered over signing him. It was February... And I honestly thought there was no way Hicks makes the opening day roster after last year. I thought Presley would open as the CF. I also thought that Plouffe would be a place holder for Sano at 3B. I was worried about both CF and 3B in the meantime and rushing Hicks or Sano if Presley or Plouffe struggled. I thought Bonofacio was perfect for that role. A 3B and CF insurance policy... Plus 2B, SS and the OF Corners. He was perfect and I still think I was right. Not because I predicted that he would go nuts with the Cubs. Simply from what he has done in the past. His lead-off ability which is legit in my opinion and needed with the Twins. His speed which is absolutely needed with the Twins and his flexibility to play other positions when Sano and Hicks come up and lay claim to the jobs with both hands. All those skills he possesses were something that the 2014 Twins lack. He was perfect for the context of this club.

3. I honestly thought that the reason the Twins passed was because they wanted to avoid exposing someone like Parmelee. I actually forgave them while I was thinking that... I was wrong... They exposed Parmelee and kept Bartlett.

4. Once they kept Bartlett and tried to turn him into Bonofacio. My confusion hit a new level and I can't grasp it. No matter what anyone thinks of Bonofacio... He's the Cadillac of Super Utility. If a Utility guy OPS'es the Crap out of the ball. He won't be utility anymore. They will find him a full time gig and he wouldn't have been available for Jokin and I to lose sleep over.

I wouldn't have thought twice about it. I'd have been on the phone with his agent to ask him what uniform number he'd like to wear.

7. These 2 users like Riverbrian's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (05-23-2014), jokin (05-22-2014)

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Actually, I believe we're up to five now.

Fuld, Mastroianni, Bonifacio, Presley, and Sizemore.

They're all bad options and should be expected to put up similar numbers. Fuld and Bonifacio have been the best (1.1 and 1.2 fWAR) while Presley and Sizemore have been Hicksian this season (-0.7 and -0.2 fWAR respectively). Mastro hasn't played in MLB since leaving the Twins.
    Sizemore actually hasn't been as bad as his WAR indicates. His K% LD% and Contact % are all better than his career averages, while his 2014 BABIP of .253 is well below his career .310 BABIP. He may normalize his luck enough to reaching some better hitting numbers before all is said and done.

The Red Sox might have to move on:

[Despite being mired in the depths of a May slump]...the good news is that Sizemore is healthy after having his career derailed by injuries. The bad news is that manager John Farrell dropped hints to Joon Lee of WEEI.com that the Red Sox may be getting close to cutting back on his playing time
    http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...as-hit-a-snag/

If the Twins OF situation is still in a state of flux when and if Sizemore is released, I'd still urge the Twins to claim him and see if lightning can strike again. Until Buxton is finally here for good, the Twins simply have to build up some credible stop-gap OF options while Hicks' fate is determined.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    I'd snatch up Sizemore in a heartbeat, if only to demote Hicks and let him sort it out in AAA.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    I'd snatch up Sizemore in a heartbeat, if only to demote Hicks and let him sort it out in AAA.
    Exactly what I was thinking.

Senior Member All-Star 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 198 Times in 97 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    No matter what anyone thinks of Bonofacio... He's the Cadillac of Super Utility.

I'm gonna have to go with Ben Zobrist. If Zobrist is the Cadillac, Bonifacio is the '98 Honda Civic. Sure it'll get you to point B, but you're not doing smoky burnouts for your friends to watch.

I was against the Bonifacio idea, as you may remember, and despite his hot start, I'm still not sure that a front office that doesn't make out of this world decisions about Jason Bartlett would be making a good decision in hiring him. I'd have run with Mastroianni and Hicks.

Besides, I'd still rather see what we have in Hicks.

12. This user likes 70charger's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Riverbrian (05-22-2014)

Twins Moderator All-Star ChiTownTwinsFan's Avatar
    Twitter
    @Sheradoodles
    Liked 1,929 Times in 1,131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wise One View Post
    When those 2 were here, what players of note did the Twins trade away during the season?
    Getting a bit off topic, but I think he was referring to Luis Castillo?

14. This user likes ChiTownTwinsFan's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

USAFChief (05-22-2014)

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wise One View Post
    I am referencing their disappointment, and Hunters statement, that the Twins "always seem to play for a future that never comes" when a trade happened. My brain is fuzzy on what the trade was.

I am referencing that people here are posting they should trade Suzuki and get value for him, and not try to contend this year.

I think it would be great if they tried to win, this year, and not in 15 or 16 or 17 for the first time in years.

We'll see what happens at the deadline. If they are around .500, do they try to get better or not?
    Lighten up Francis....

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    On the main discussion... Unless the light bulb turns for Hicks and shines bright. I think he should go down when Fuld becomes healthy.

I think this is now Parm's chance to show what he can do in RF. He's a former first round draft pick. He has hit very nicely in AAA but he's never had an extended run as a starter in the majors. I think you let Parm run and let Arcia get some swings in AAA for awhile. If Parm struggles and Arcia is stroking it. Make the switch at that point.

When Hammer is ready... Take your pick... It's either Santana or Nunez. Mostly Likely Santana due to his youth. Nunez will have to learn some CF on the fly and he will have to play there to learn. So I don't think Fuld should have an every day gig in CF.

On the off-topic discussion on Bonofacio... Of course I have some thoughts.

That moment is gone and the Cubs won't just hand him over so I guess that's it. The window is sadly shut. In regards to the discussion... He's being labeled by some as AAAA or Presley like filler. I do think some perspective is needed.

1. If Bonofacio was OPS'ing at a rate that is termed satisfactory to peak some interests... With his speed and his experience at 6 different positions... if you added to that a higher OPS... Kansas City would have never released him... I'd say that Florida would have never traded him to Toronto and his free agency price tag would eventually place him in LA or NY. He was only available to the Twins as an option because his OPS doesn't satisfy some. Not wanting him because he lacks a little pop doesn't really add up. He's a top of the line insurance policy and super utility. He's #25 on the 25 Man and about as good as it gets for #25 on the 25 man.

2. When I was all hot and bothered over signing him. It was February... And I honestly thought there was no way Hicks makes the opening day roster after last year. I thought Presley would open as the CF. I also thought that Plouffe would be a place holder for Sano at 3B. I was worried about both CF and 3B in the meantime and rushing Hicks or Sano if Presley or Plouffe struggled. I thought Bonofacio was perfect for that role. A 3B and CF insurance policy... Plus 2B, SS and the OF Corners. He was perfect and I still think I was right. Not because I predicted that he would go nuts with the Cubs. Simply from what he has done in the past. His lead-off ability which is legit in my opinion and needed with the Twins. His speed which is absolutely needed with the Twins and his flexibility to play other positions when Sano and Hicks come up and lay claim to the jobs with both hands. All those skills he possesses were something that the 2014 Twins lack. He was perfect for the context of this club.

3. I honestly thought that the reason the Twins passed was because they wanted to avoid exposing someone like Parmelee. I actually forgave them while I was thinking that... I was wrong... They exposed Parmelee and kept Bartlett.

4. Once they kept Bartlett and tried to turn him into Bonofacio. My confusion hit a new level and I can't grasp it. No matter what anyone thinks of Bonofacio... He's the Cadillac of Super Utility. If a Utility guy OPS'es the Crap out of the ball. He won't be utility anymore. They will find him a full time gig and he wouldn't have been available for Jokin and I to lose sleep over.

I wouldn't have thought twice about it. I'd have been on the phone with his agent to ask him what uniform number he'd like to wear.
    As usual, your prose is the Cadillac of Super Moderators.

I freely admit that I'm haunted by losing out on Bonifacio for the 2014 season, and that was only with the assumption that we could get him at his career numbers. I still awake in the middle of the night in cold sweats, with the stark realization that we don't have Bonifacio's 6-position flexibility, 33 Stolen Bases/year over the last 3 years and career .265 BA, .667 OPS hitting directly in front of Dozier and Mauer.

17. This user likes jokin's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Riverbrian (05-22-2014)

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 70charger View Post
    I'm gonna have to go with Ben Zobrist. If Zobrist is the Cadillac, Bonifacio is the '98 Honda Civic. Sure it'll get you to point B, but you're not doing smoky burnouts for your friends to watch.

I was against the Bonifacio idea, as you may remember, and despite his hot start, I'm still not sure that a front office that doesn't make out of this world decisions about Jason Bartlett would be making a good decision in hiring him. I'd have run with Mastroianni and Hicks.

Nope. Bonifacio is the Cadillac, Zobrist is the Rolls Royce.....

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    If Bonifacio is a Cadillac, that means Nick Punto is a loaded Mercedes with rims.

*gags a little*

20. This user likes Brock Beauchamp's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Riverbrian (05-22-2014)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post

I still awake in the middle of the night in cold sweats
    I'm sleeping alright... Mostly while driving. So my timing may be off.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 70charger View Post

I'm not sure Zobrist would fit my definition. Yes he can play multiple positions but If Zobrist we're signed by the Twins... He would be full time... They would have plopped him in RF and given him a full time spot and not really be utility.

But... If Zobrist is the Cadillac... Bonofacio is at least a Dodge.

Maybe off topic, but any chance of trading Plouffe, and bringing up Deibinson Romero, does anyone have a scouting report on Romero?? I see he is hitting well in AAA, and I thought they always kind of liked him..........Dodgers need a 3rd basemen, and I would love Joc Pederson for our OF>

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Sending Hicks down and watching no-future Sam Fuld play CF would be a mistake. This is pretty clear.

25. This user likes Shane Wahl's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

twinsfan34 (05-23-2014)

Senior Member All-Star 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 198 Times in 97 Posts

But... If Zobrist is the Cadillac... Bonofacio is at least a Dodge.
    You may have found my weakness.

27. This user likes 70charger's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Riverbrian (05-22-2014)

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast