Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Interesting Roster decisions coming

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosterman View Post
    Who stays and who goes depends on playing time. Collabello could go if Parmalee stays because he could play every day at Rochester, which would be more vakuable to him (and he Twins) in the long run. Fuld would replace Santana, who also could play everyday. Better to have Nunez sitting on the bench. Herrmann also has options. In the pitching department, the only pitcher with true options, I believe is Fien, and he won't be sent out. Anyone else has to pass thru waivers and, except for Guerrier, would not clear...even Burton and his salary. Still surprised that Pinto remains as he could play every day and get added exposure by catching future Twins (as well as decrease service time), except Fryer is totally useless currently with the Red Wings. Better yet, why is Fryer still on the roster and why isn't someone, anyone promoted up to Rochester.
    I may be wrong here and please correct me if that is the case, but I believe Pinto's service time would continue to run even if he is sent down so if service time is the only reason to send him down, he may as well stay with the big league club.

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 119 Times in 65 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kdrupp09 View Post
    I may be wrong here and please correct me if that is the case, but I believe Pinto's service time would continue to run even if he is sent down so if service time is the only reason to send him down, he may as well stay with the big league club.
    Service time only counts in the big leagues or on the big league DL.

So although you hear the term "starting the clock", you can stop the clock whenever you'd like.

With that being send, I don't think there is any way you send Pinto down. Colabello on the other hand...

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 847 Times in 543 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Fuld needs to stay with the team as an insurance policy. I'd consider demoting Hicks unless he continues to post a .200+ batting average. The moment he slips, he gets sent to Rochester.
    Someone check with Elias Sports Bureau. Is there a team in MLB history to DFA 4 real, actual, bona fide CFers off of their 40-man roster in less than 2 months time?

After what the Twins have just gone through, there is no way they are just going to walk away from Fuld, especially with the shaky nature of Hicks's status with the team. Looking at the active roster, they have one decent OF, two barely accpetable ones (in Kubel and Paremelee) with the rest being various forms of dreadful or playing out of position.
    Last edited by jokin; 05-21-2014 at 02:59 PM.

4. This user likes jokin's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

twinsnorth49 (05-21-2014)

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 44 Times in 24 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gil4 View Post
    I would take anything they offered just to see him pitch for the Yankees in the new stadium. How many fly ball outs in last night's game would have been HRs there? I counted at least three. Phil Hughes had an ERA over 5 there; I'd set the over/under for Correia at 5.50 at the minimum.
    Shhhh! Not so loud. The Yankees might hear you.

6. This user likes tarheeltwinsfan's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ScottyB (05-21-2014)

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post

So although you hear the term "starting the clock", you can stop the clock whenever you'd like.

With that being send, I don't think there is any way you send Pinto down. Colabello on the other hand...
    I would put up a reasonable wager that Cola will be down within a couple weeks. RH for RH would be the natual switch once the Hammer is ready.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post

Thank you for the clarification.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 49 Times in 34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Someone check with Elias Sports Bureau. Is there a team in MLB history to DFA 4 real, actual, bona fide CFers off of their 40-man roster in less than 2 months time?

After what the Twins have just gone through, there is no way they are just going to walk away from Fuld, especially with the shaky nature of Hicks's status with the team. Looking at the active roster, they have one decent OF, two barely accpetable ones (in Kubel and Paremelee) with the rest being various forms of dreadful or playing out of position.
    They aren't going to DFA Fuld, but neither Fuld nor Presley is a real, actual, bona fide CFer either. Fuld has 91 of 320 games in the outfield in center. Presley has 46 of 237 (and 28 were with the Twins). Mastro was a true CF, but you can't steal first so he was expendable.

10. This user likes Hawkeye12's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

twinsfan34 (05-23-2014)

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,268 Times in 679 Posts
    Where does Santana play when he goes back to Rochester, CF? I agree with the notion that every day PA's is of most benefit but if he's stuck behind P-Flo at SS there's something wrong. When he goes back the priority should be making him the everyday SS with an eye to being that with the Twins next spring.
    Last edited by twinsnorth49; 05-21-2014 at 04:14 PM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 375 Times in 232 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye12 View Post
    He deserves every chance to pitch through things after the leash they gave Pelfrey. If they can trade him, fine, but he doesn't deserve to be released by any stretch.
    I know this wasn't your entire thought but just because the Twins messed up with Pelfrey shouldn't dictate they do the same with Correia. This is a sport and these are millionaires. The goal is to win, not to make things fair for each player.

Bottome line, if May, Meyer or Darnell are better pitchers and there is nowhere you can put Correia, he needs to get DFA'd. Sorry if it's not fair for him, but there are 24 other players on the roster who may not think it's fair that they are losing games they may otherwise win with a better in-house pitcher.

13. This user likes nicksaviking's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (05-21-2014)

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye12 View Post
    They aren't going to DFA Fuld, but neither Fuld nor Presley is a real, actual, bona fide CFer either. Fuld has 91 of 320 games in the outfield in center. Presley has 46 of 237 (and 28 were with the Twins). Mastro was a true CF, but you can't steal first so he was expendable.
    Until Buxton is ready to take the job full-time, the Twins simply have to have guys like Fuld, who are reasonable facsimiles to real CF's, particularly compared to every other option not named Hicks, within the organization.

A couple of things complicate this. First, we are a half game out of a wildcard spot...do we look to add talent or do we build for the future? I see Matty G getting sent down/cut...so that won't happen. All of this assumes Pelf gets things on track. Willingham...not sure what to do other than get him back up here and hope he produces, but what if he doesn't? No trade value unless he produces. Ugh, the curse of mediocrity.
    Last edited by gocgo; 05-21-2014 at 04:28 PM.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 532 Times in 346 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Among the relievers, Thielbar could be optioned. Having Santana and Florimon both at Rochester would create a problem. However, having Danny sit over half the time and accumulate service time isn't ideal either. Colabello was added to the 40-man last year, so he has options remaining. Pelfrey has 15 days of rehab remaining before a decision must be made on him.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 43 Times in 27 Posts
    Pelfrey should just pitch in the minors like Nick Blackburn did. I dont know if I can handle a few more of his starts.

The minute they DFA Correia is the minute the rotation gets hit with injuries making the Twins look that much more stupid. I call it "Twins Luck."

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    Among the relievers, Thielbar could be optioned. Having Santana and Florimon both at Rochester would create a problem. However, having Danny sit over half the time and accumulate service time isn't ideal either. Colabello was added to the 40-man last year, so he has options remaining. Pelfrey has 15 days of rehab remaining before a decision must be made on him.
    This is not the worst problem in the world. One of the SS's (I would move Florimon down to AA, or start his transition to a Util role in Rochester) could go to New Britain until Michael and/or Polanco, Goodrum are called up. Santana should be playing every day at Short in Rochester, it's only a matter of time before they are going to need him at SS with the Twins.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post

Wilson may be a CF, but had not even risen above AA level. His bat would appear to be less potent than Florimon's
    Presley's ceiling at this point would appear to Hicks' floor.
    Mastro appeared to be done. They were all players of limited ability. That at some point the Twins could DFA 4players who played at various times in CF in a season means they shopped hard and were not luck in what they selected. Nothing more.
    Last edited by old nurse; 05-21-2014 at 05:29 PM.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    Like last year, Pelfrey just has to pitch with minimum competence and he will be back up, role TBD. Cola will be going down soon. Duensing actually has options left, and based on last night, at some point, even he might need a stint in AAA, as well as T-Bar, if there're better options in Rochester (and there are).

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by old nurse View Post
    Wilson may be a CF, but had not even risen above AA level. His bat would appear to be less potent than Florimon's
    Presley's ceiling at this point would appear to Hicks' floor.
    Mastro appeared to be done. They were all players of limited ability. That at some point the Twins could DFA 4players who played at various times in CF in a season means they shopped hard and were not luck in what they selected. Nothing more.
    Has anyone said any different about Wilson? The point was he was on the 40-day, and that was the best they could come up with, after getting their hat handed to them repeatedly in the roster wars.

Nothing more? Really? Or maybe they have done a really bad job at supplementing and having the proper concern about depth in an obvious area of weakness from the exact day in 2012 when they got rid of both of their CFers.

What if escobar starts struggling too? Big leash or small leash?

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 444 Times in 271 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Fuld needs to stay with the team as an insurance policy. I'd consider demoting Hicks unless he continues to post a .200+ batting average. The moment he slips, he gets sent to Rochester.
    BA? Season to date, Hicks has a .331 OBP, Fuld .291, Colabello .286. Hicks is 6 years younger than Colabello and 8 years younger than Fuld. Guess who of the 3 belongs to the majors?
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,280 Times in 512 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    Guess who of the 3 belongs to the majors?

I give up, you better tell me.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast