The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Liked 85 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Risers in the Twins Farm System

Liked 42 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I like your enthusiasm for May, but I just don't see his season being "substantially" better than Meyer's. I don't deny that he currently has better numbers, but they are also really only one bad game away from being worse numbers. I like them both, way better than the prospect of Nolasco for 4 years and the continued presence of Pelfrey and Correia in the rotation.
    Last edited by h2oface; 05-21-2014 at 04:38 PM.

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Please reread the part on May. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by h2oface View Post
    I like your enthusiasm for May, but I just don't see his season being "substantially" better than Meyer's. I don't deny that he currently has better numbers, but they are also really only one bad game away from being worse numbers. I like them both, way better than the prospect of Nolassco for 4 years and the continued presence of Pelfrey and Correia in the rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by the blade View Post
    Please reread the part on May. Thanks.
    That sentence can easily be read to say that May IS having a substantially better season......but STILL isn't the reason he is on the list.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 378 Times in 232 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Miraclemat View Post
    That sentence can easily be read to say that May IS having a substantially better season......but STILL isn't the reason he is on the list.
    I took it to read as I'm sure Nick inteded. Great article.

Member Single-A
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Trevor May took a big step forward in the middle of 2013:

April and May 2013: 60.1 IP 7.9 K/9 4.8 BB/9 1.7 K/BB
    June on : 95 IP 10 K/9 3.3 BB/9 3.0 K/BB

It's great to see that this success, especially his improved control, has carried over to AAA.

7. This user likes Boone's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

gunnarthor (05-21-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
    If they needed a guy today I don't see how you could justify taking Meyer or May over Darnell. Of course barring injury there are going to be at least two more and probably at least 3 more rotations before they are going to replace any of the Twins rotation after Correia's decent start against the Padres. That will give more time for evaluation between the 3 as well as Pelfrey.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 40 Times in 26 Posts
    Risers? I guess, but these guys were all pretty high on the list to start with. How about this list:

Mitch Garver
    Levi Michael
    Kennys Vargas

Aaron Slegers
    Logan Darnell
    Alex Wimmers

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,586 Times in 824 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I've always been skeptical of Berrios because of his size and projectability but, damn... the kid just pitches no matter where you put him in the organization.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 218 Times in 138 Posts
    Yeah, he could turn into a nice #3 or 4 - which is a good thing.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Any chance Berrios turns into Pedro Martinez but with a better personality? I know Jose is much bigger then Pedro but still...

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 80 Times in 50 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pierre75275 View Post
    Any chance Berrios turns into Pedro Martinez but with a better personality? I know Jose is much bigger then Pedro but still...
    None.

But I like Berrios a lot. If he can handle a starter workload, I think he can be a solid #2.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 847 Times in 543 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantes929 View Post
    If they needed a guy today I don't see how you could justify taking Meyer or May over Darnell. Of course barring injury there are going to be at least two more and probably at least 3 more rotations before they are going to replace any of the Twins rotation after Correia's decent start against the Padres. That will give more time for evaluation between the 3 as well as Pelfrey.
    Pelfrey just needs to pitch passably and he will be the first call-up, whether we like it or not.

(And in the big scheme of things, Darnell is almost an afterthought compared to what May, and especially Meyer, can ultimately bring to the rotation. Of course, the Twins generally prefer to call up the prospects lowest on the expectations list first, so if there's an opening in the next few weeks and Pelfrey can't cut it, Darnell will likely be the first to get the call.)

Liked 397 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    I took it to read as I'm sure Nick inteded. Great article.
    As did I

Cool Rotation

Quote Originally Posted by h2oface View Post
    I like your enthusiasm for May, but I just don't see his season being "substantially" better than Meyer's. I don't deny that he currently has better numbers, but they are also really only one bad game away from being worse numbers. I like them both, way better than the prospect of Nolasco for 4 years and the continued presence of Pelfrey and Correia in the rotation.
    Correia is gone after this year but still may be able to dump him b/f trade deadline. Pelfrey we are stuck with for one more year. The Twins must have had a reason to do a 2 year with him, maybe it will surface. Hughes we have for 2 more years and at a fair price. Nolasco is just gonna have to adjust to the American League. Even if he drops to 3 rd/4th in the rotation. He will come around. Everybody wants to see the new 'M@M" boys come in and strike people out. Deduno I think will continue as 5th in rotation.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 811 Times in 511 Posts
    Blog Entries
    With Darnell, May, and Meyer on their way up, I wonder if it's time to sell on Deduno. He's not young, but he's cheap and has demonstrated AL success. With continued starting success, I'd think he'd fetch a nice prospect. They are going to need to find room for these 3 and with Hughes and Nolasco under contract, and Gibson also doing quite well, there's not enough room.

Senior Member Double-A troyhobbs's Avatar
    Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    I've always been skeptical of Berrios because of his size and projectability but, damn... the kid just pitches no matter where you put him in the organization.
    You don't have to be 100 ft tall to be a good pitcher, he's got plenty of potential.

Senior Member Double-A Wookiee of the Year's Avatar
    Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DJL44 View Post
    Risers? I guess, but these guys were all pretty high on the list to start with. How about this list:

Mitch Garver
    Levi Michael
    Kennys Vargas

Aaron Slegers
    Logan Darnell
    Alex Wimmers
    You're not wrong, but it sets a different tone to say, "Sure, three of our top five prospects are out right now, but Prospect #22 on the depth chart is really impressing!" These guys are showing signs of improvement, but I think the point of this article was you don't have to go all that far down the prospect list to find reasons for optimism.

I havnt been high on Berrios, but hope I am wrong.........he doesn't have a lot of projection, and , I know he is young, but he is not blowing away hitters.........I see him as a future bullpen guy, or maybe a 4th 5th starter, and nothing wrong with that, if he truly is a 4th or 5th starter and not a recently typical Twins AAAA 4th and 5th starter..............Darnell is at best a 5th starter, I don't holdout that he is going to be anything more than a filler at the MLB level, again, I hope to be wrong, and he becomes or someone becomes good trade bait for other things we need in the future

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 218 Times in 138 Posts
    I'm not Berrios' biggest fan either but I do like him. His ceiling is a #3 pitcher (one plus pitch and two more avg pitches). The positives on him are legit though; he seems durable - over 100 innings last year + WBC before hand. He's been really young for his levels. And his makeup, baseball knowledge, work ethic etc are all supposed to be fantastic. Hard not to root for him.

22. This user likes gunnarthor's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (05-22-2014)