Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Article: What to do with Kurt Suzuki?

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,588 Times in 825 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    At least Hughes has a fastball that's actually, you know, FAST.
    Last offseason, I wanted to see the Twins sign Hughes more than any other pitcher on the market. I was convinced he would provide the best value per dollar and greatly exceed his contract's value.

That tells you all you need to know about how bullish I was on Hughes. I was ecstatic when the Twins signed him for 3/$24m.

Liked 1,283 Times in 742 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Last offseason, I wanted to see the Twins sign Hughes more than any other pitcher on the market. I was convinced he would provide the best value per dollar and greatly exceed his contract's value.

That tells you all you need to know about how bullish I was on Hughes. I was ecstatic when the Twins signed him for 3/$24m.
    I remember that, Brock. I'm just teasing you a bit. Thus far, Hughes is looking like the steal of the offseason. The trick, I think, is to keep him from overthinking and overtinkering.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    I remember that, Brock. I'm just teasing you a bit. Thus far, Hughes is looking like the steal of the offseason. The trick, I think, is to keep him from overthinking and overtinkering.
    Yeah. It seems to be bad news any time that guy is allowed to get into his own head for too long. I think the Minnesota clubhouse is a good place for him to be for a myriad of reasons. Lower intensity fanbase, lower intensity ownership, more relaxed press corps, and players seem to genuinely like Gardenhire (most of the time).

If there's a place where Phil Hughes can flourish over the long term, I think it's here.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries

Absolutely. That deal actually made me retroactively not hate the Nolasco deal nearly as much because they ended up with a total dollar amount for those two that was pretty good. I still don't understand the 4th year for Nolasco, and even Jimenez might prove better, but the Hughes signing was important. Nolasco might be forced into the 4th spot because of some combo of Meyer, May, and Gibson (so maybe even the fifth!) and that will still be fine given the cheapness of those three.

Blog Entries
    Regarding Hughes: I know I made note of it earlier, but there might be something to the Christian-ness of Hughes and Gibson (and now, we know, Dozier) that also might contribute to something here. Not in a weird way, but in a community way for these players to feel more comfortable in their surroundings. I do not want to get into a crazy discussion here and this comment feels ironic to me, but I just mean that being in such a situation might be impactful.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    Absolutely. That deal actually made me retroactively not hate the Nolasco deal nearly as much because they ended up with a total dollar amount for those two that was pretty good. I still don't understand the 4th year for Nolasco, and even Jimenez might prove better, but the Hughes signing was important. Nolasco might be forced into the 4th spot because of some combo of Meyer, May, and Gibson (so maybe even the fifth!) and that will still be fine given the cheapness of those three.
    I was happy to see the Twins spend money. I didn't think Nolasco was the best choice to give money but I wasn't upset about it, either (four years seemed a little excessive in a market with Garza and Santana). Really, it was a "meh, but at least they're addressing the rotation in a meaningful fashion" move. Slightly positive, not thrilled.

But I was genuinely excited about Hughes, which definitely cast Nolasco in a better light (and happened just 1-3 days after Nolasco).

Blog Entries
    Anyway, the Twins must trade Suzuki at or near the deadline. Extending seems ridiculous. Fryer is a player with fewer possibilities than Herrmann. Matt Koch is the next guy deserving of a chance. He should move to AAA. Pinto-Herrmann-Rohlfing-Koch provides the Twins with possibilities, especially if Suzuki being traded means some kind of good prospect.

I was happy to see the Twins spend money. I didn't think Nolasco was the best choice to give money but I wasn't upset about it, either (four years seemed a little excessive in a market with Garza and Santana).
    I know we're trending a little off topic here but does anyone else feel like we just haven't gotten to know much, if anything, about Nolasco?

I just looked at his stats and saw that he has pitched 55.1 innings through Sunday (game 42) -- about on track with where he would be expected to be at this point in the season based on his history. His performance is not as good as the Twins might have hoped but not a complete disaster either.

But about the only thing I feel like I've learned about him is that he hates the cold and is, I think, into some kind of extreme fighting or maybe it is boxing - just something I remembers seeing on Twitter. He just feels like a bit of a non-entity to me at this point. There haven't been many (if any) main stream media stories about him. And not much on TD either.

In general I feel some emotional investment in the way most of the players on this team do -- even Mike Pelfrey. But I just haven't found/heard anything that gives me a clue about Nolasco.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    I know we're trending a little off topic here but does anyone else feel like we just haven't gotten to know much, if anything, about Nolasco?

I just looked at his stats and saw that he has pitched 55.1 innings through Sunday (game 42) -- about on track with where he would be expected to be at this point in the season based on his history. His performance is not as good as the Twins might have hoped but not a complete disaster either.

But about the only thing I feel like I've learned about him is that he hates the cold and is, I think, into some kind of extreme fighting or maybe it is boxing - just something I remembers seeing on Twitter. He just feels like a bit of a non-entity to me at this point. There haven't been many (if any) main stream media stories about him. And not much on TD either.

In general I feel some emotional investment in the way most of the players on this team do -- even Mike Pelfrey. But I just haven't found/heard anything that gives me a clue about Nolasco.
    I heard something about a Dodgers hat.

I heard something about a Dodgers hat.
    Forgot that one! Should be in trade mode while they are on the West Coast. Of course, the Twins would probably just get Sweet Drew back.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Anyway, the Twins must trade Suzuki at or near the deadline. Extending seems ridiculous. Fryer is a player with fewer possibilities than Herrmann. Matt Koch is the next guy deserving of a chance. He should move to AAA. Pinto-Herrmann-Rohlfing-Koch provides the Twins with possibilities, especially if Suzuki being traded means some kind of good prospect.
    Or they could try to win this year. That would be a nice change.
    Lighten up Francis....

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 812 Times in 512 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The 4th year is pretty simple actually. The team needed pitching and if they waited for the market to play itself out, they might be without pitching. Both signings happened shortly after the FA period began. If you want to get a guy there, you have to get him at a value that he doesn't reasonably think he's going to get. In short, they probably overpaid for both... The flip side... they got the guys they wanted.

This doesn't add a lot but Berardino had a little story about the possibility of extending Suzuki:
    http://blogs.twincities.com/twins/20...ins-are-ready/

Not much new info except a Twins official saying "It's too soon".

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123