Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Article: Twins Minor League Report (5/19): Maygnificent!

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 121 Times in 67 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Twins Minor League Report (5/19): Maygnificent!

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Brad Swanson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @Bridman77
    Liked 56 Times in 29 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think it May be time to replace Correia too.

3. This user likes Brad Swanson's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Oldgoat_MN (05-20-2014)

Senior Member All-Star 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 198 Times in 97 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad Swanson View Post
    I think it May be time to replace Correia too.
    ohYY5.jpg

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 39 Times in 27 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Wow, he's on quite a roll now. To quibble, four walks is probably too much, but he went eight innings, while Meyer seems like a six inning guy

i think we have a better chance of winning with. May and Meyer than Correia and Pelf, plus the experience would be great and create some buzz around the team

Good to see May is on a roll. Seems like the type of guy who will have better results in the MLB. I think May should get the first nod considering his time spent at the higher levels but it should be mentioned, it was only a couple weeks ago everyone wanted Meyer promoted immediately. It will be interesting to see how the Twins handle this situation if May continues to excel while KC and Pelf continue being terrible.

While on the subject, Arica being optioned looks to be another example of questionable roster moves this season. He really did not have much to prove in the minors and though he struggled in the first week of the season he can be one of the lineups better hitters. The hot starts for Kubel and Colabello appear to be mirages and I am ready to throw in the towel on either one.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    If they choose one to lose it has to be Kubel. I still think Colabello is a work in progress with some upside. I appreciate all Kubel has done for the Twins, but I fear his career is over.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 39 Times in 27 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ncgo4 View Post
    If they choose one to lose it has to be Kubel. I still think Colabello is a work in progress with some upside. I appreciate all Kubel has done for the Twins, but I fear his career is over.
    If they are going to keep Santana on the roster, DFA Fuld or move him to the 60-day as he doesn't seem to be progressing that well. They also have Florimon and Frkyer to DFA

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HansGruber View Post
    While on the subject, Arica being optioned looks to be another example of questionable roster moves this season. He really did not have much to prove in the minors and though he struggled in the first week of the season he can be one of the lineups better hitters.
    He also hadn't been able to play more than two games without having a flare up in his wrist... but bashing the Twins decision makers is more fun.

10. These 4 users like Seth Stohs's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

diehardtwinsfan (05-20-2014), gunnarthor (05-20-2014), PseudoSABR (05-20-2014), TRex (05-20-2014)

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
    Wait until May gets past "Super 2" status to bring him up. Yes, he's pitching well, but the walks are still an issue that he should be working on, and frankly it's a problem that will almost certainly be exacerbated in MLB. No reason to cost the franchise service time on a pitcher with a bright future who still has something to work on. I'm looking forward to seeing him, but the walks will hurt a lot more in The Show. I'm fine with him working on it for a few more starts in AAA.

Remember following minor league pitching two years ago? No Meyer, no May, no Lew Thorpe, no Kohl Stewart, no Gonçalves, Kyle Gibson was out, Berrios wasn't drafted until June, Felix Jorge, Landa, and Rosario were in the GCL, and Fernando Romero was in the DSL. BJ Hermsen was minor league pitcher of the year.

Now, Berrios--9.3 K/9 at A+ at age 19--strikes out 10 in a game in the FSL and is pitcher of the day runner-up to someone with a 9.8 K/9 at AAA, the second-lowest BB/9 of his minor league career, lowest WHIP of his minor league career, and the lowest hits/9 of his minor league career. And these are arguably the third-/fourth- and fifth-/sixth-highest rated pitching prospects in the Twins' minor leagues.

I know this has been said in the past, but it bears repeating: TR and Co. make some puzzling roster decisions and player moves, but credit where credit is due for recognizing the organization's biggest weakness and addressing it head on.

Quote Originally Posted by chamoman View Post
    Remember following minor league pitching two years ago? No Meyer, no May, no Lew Thorpe, no Kohl Stewart, no Gonçalves, Kyle Gibson was out, Berrios wasn't drafted until June, Felix Jorge, Landa, and Rosario were in the GCL, and Fernando Romero was in the DSL. BJ Hermsen was minor league pitcher of the year.

Now, Berrios--9.3 K/9 at A+ at age 19--strikes out 10 in a game in the FSL and is pitcher of the day runner-up to someone with a 9.8 K/9 at AAA, the second-lowest BB/9 of his minor league career, lowest WHIP of his minor league career, and the lowest hits/9 of his minor league career. And these are arguably the third-/fourth- and fifth-/sixth-highest rated pitching prospects in the Twins' minor leagues.

I know this has been said in the past, but it bears repeating: TR and Co. make some puzzling roster decisions and player moves, but credit where credit is due for recognizing the organization's biggest weakness and addressing it head on.
    I agree with this. And, I think they need to keep addressing it head on. Pitchers are the most valuable commodity to have. You can always trade pitchers for hitters but not always the other way around. Draft pitchers early always, I my opinion. That's why I'm all in on the Nola, Toussaint, Holmes, Aiken, bandwagon

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HansGruber View Post
    Good to see May is on a roll. Seems like the type of guy who will have better results in the MLB. I think May should get the first nod considering his time spent at the higher levels but it should be mentioned, it was only a couple weeks ago everyone wanted Meyer promoted immediately. It will be interesting to see how the Twins handle this situation if May continues to excel while KC and Pelf continue being terrible. .
    I am anxious to see May as well but it goes against the grain to hope Correia continues to do poorly just so May gets his chance. Keep in mind that Darnell did well and is doing well also so it is hard to pick May over him. 4 walks in the minors feels like the equivalent of 5 or 6 walks in the majors so I would like that number to come down. I have never seen him play but in build and stuff May feels like Phil Hughes 1.0. Hughes is doing awesome now but it has taken him a while. Pelfrey had a very good start and if his velocity and command produce a couple more good starts at Rochester he might be the guy they exchange with Correia if Correia struggles. My prediction is that Correia has a quality start tonight which will put off any action for a couple more times through the rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    He also hadn't been able to play more than two games without having a flare up in his wrist... but bashing the Twins decision makers is more fun.
    I generally give the front office the benefit of the doubt but they've made a few questionable moves early this season, even if they are minor in the grand scheme of things. I thought Arcias flare up occurred once but I could be mistaken. He certainly hasn't shown it to be a problem at the plate. Your explanation still leaves questions. For example, why is he continuing to play if his wrist is still a problem and why the need to option him? They could have shut him down and began rehab when he was fully healthy.

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jmlease1 View Post
    Wait until May gets past "Super 2" status to bring him up.
    Chances are May isn't going to be a superstar and will end up back in the minor anyway. Super-2 clocks should never matter with pitchers, in my opinion.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 859 Times in 553 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post
    Chances are May isn't going to be a superstar and will end up back in the minor anyway. Super-2 clocks should never matter with pitchers, in my opinion.
    Absolutely right. Especially for guys like May, it should be No Consideration, whatsover. But also for the better prospect pitchers. Cingrani, Bundy, Stroman, Price, Cole. Some made it on their first call-up, some didn't. The only way to find out if they're truly ready is to get them up throwing to major leaguers, if they stick, they can be game changers.

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    Free agency should be handled a little differently, though. If a guy would break camp as a #4 or #5 starter, it would make sense (given the likely off days anyway) to keep him down for two weeks (and miss two starts) to gain a year of service time (something the Marlins failed to do with Fernandez).

Liked 141 Times in 88 Posts
    Personally, I want Correia to do really well for the next month or two so we can trade him for at least a decent low level prospect (I have no illusion of getting someone great for him).