Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 126

Thread: Don't Build Like The Twins

  1. #101
    Twins Moderator MVP USAFChief's Avatar
    Posts
    6,604
    Like
    3,676
    Liked 3,166 Times in 1,355 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by glunn View Post
    I was about 100 feet away at a game in Anaheim where Gomez took one of the worst routes I have ever seen. Small sample size, but I also recall seeing some miscues on TV.
    Completely agree. Gomez was more tools and speed than polish as a Twin, similar to Hicks.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

  2. This user likes USAFChief's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    birdwatcher (05-20-2014)

  3. #102
    Owner MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    8,110
    Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Like
    48
    Liked 1,586 Times in 824 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    It's kind of interesting that in Carlos Gomez' age 24 season, he had an OPS+ of 76. Currently, Hicks is sporting an OPS+ of 74 in his age 24 season.

    Though it's basically impossible for two players to look any different up and down the stat sheet. Gomez was no discipline with some power and Hicks is all discipline with no power.

  4. #103
    Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Posts
    3,993
    Like
    4
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    67
    Hicks-Buxton-Rosario and Hicks-Buxton-Arcia are both good options in the future and hopefully that future arrives at some point in 2015.

  5. #104
    Owner MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    8,110
    Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Like
    48
    Liked 1,586 Times in 824 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    Hicks-Buxton-Rosario and Hicks-Buxton-Arcia are both good options in the future and hopefully that future arrives at some point in 2015.
    Seems to me that Rosario should be returning to play in the next 7-10 days. Is that right?

    It will be interesting to see how long it takes him to shake off the rust. It'd be fantastic if he could get some time in Minnesota this September.

  6. #105
    Senior Member All-Star JB_Iowa's Avatar
    Posts
    3,323
    Like
    1,303
    Liked 1,281 Times in 741 Posts
    Seth Stohs @SethTweets · 24h

    Eligible to be reinstated next Sunday (25th). RT @I_Am_Nice05 @SethTweets when does Eddie Rosario come back?




  7. #106
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    498
    Like
    2
    Liked 80 Times in 50 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tobi0040 View Post
    What part was taken out of context? Saying he has no place in a productive outfield sounds an awful lot like you are giving up on him. Unless your point of view is that our goal is to have an unproductive outfield and which case, he is a great fit.
    It's not real complicated. Right now Hicks can't hit. I don't think he's going to completely turn it around. Therefore he is not a fit for a corner OF spot in 2015, 2016, etc.

    However, since in 2014 there are no alternatives, he may as well play. If he does have a surprise breakout, great.

    Therefore, I am not "giving up on him" because he still has the opportunity to improve. But neither would I pencil him in for 2015, because as of now he's not good enough, and I doubt he will be.

    I guess understanding my post requires the ability to differentiate between the current year (2014) and future years (2015+).

  8. #107
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    744
    Like
    28
    Liked 58 Times in 47 Posts
    Blog Entries
    9
    The OF defense will be good long term. Right now is a rare time in the last 20 years where their OF defense is worse then the rest of the league. that has more to do with the Twins selling high on a player both Span and Revere before their replacements were ready. Hicks can became a corner OF or 4th OF if he doesn't hit enough and Buxton will be a gold glove caliber player and Rosario and Arcia will be adequate. I think the hard part for our psyche is that the issue is CF. Outside of the Rich Becker days how long has it been since Minnesota had any type of issue in CF? Puckett, late 90's with Rich Becker and Otis Nixon, Torii Hunter, Gomez, Span, ....at least 1983.

  9. #108
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,131
    Like
    101
    Liked 271 Times in 195 Posts
    Blog Entries
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by drivlikejehu View Post
    It's not real complicated. Right now Hicks can't hit. I don't think he's going to completely turn it around. Therefore he is not a fit for a corner OF spot in 2015, 2016, etc.

    However, since in 2014 there are no alternatives, he may as well play. If he does have a surprise breakout, great.

    Therefore, I am not "giving up on him" because he still has the opportunity to improve. But neither would I pencil him in for 2015, because as of now he's not good enough, and I doubt he will be.

    I guess understanding my post requires the ability to differentiate between the current year (2014) and future years (2015+).
    The ability to differentiate is different than you articulating that your statements more clearly.

    For example, saying "Hicks has no place in a productive outfield" is different than "Hicks has no place in a productive outfield right now, but he may improve to the point of being a productive player down the road".

    The first statement suggests you were giving up on him, the second explicitly states you are not.
    Last edited by tobi0040; 05-20-2014 at 09:37 AM.

  10. #109
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    867
    Like
    467
    Liked 83 Times in 63 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Uhh....look at the Rochester Red Wings pitching numbers. And then compare them to the 2013 numbers. The AAA club has gone from Worst in the IL to nearly First, in terms of ERA and K%. Looking for near-future replacement pitchers? Rochester is a good place to start.
    This. The five best starters (all superior now to a broken Pelfry) in Rochester this year (May, Johnson, Meyer, Darnell, and yes, Diamond) would likely perform better than last year's Twins starters did. It's just a matter of time, and our worst starter will likely be May and not Correia, who we recall was the best SP in last year's rotation.

  11. #110
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    498
    Like
    2
    Liked 80 Times in 50 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tobi0040 View Post
    The ability to differentiate is different than you articulating that your statements more clearly.

    For example, saying "Hicks has no place in a productive outfield" is different than "Hicks has no place in a productive outfield right now, but he may improve to the point of being a productive player down the road".

    The first statement suggests you were giving up on him, the second explicitly states you are not.
    Yes "as of now" would have added some clarity to the original post, for those who could not recognize the context. But I clarified what I meant on a prior page. So why are you still going on about it?

  12. #111
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    603
    Like
    100
    Liked 287 Times in 145 Posts
    He's a complete mess offensively regardless of his decent OBP.
    FWIW, I'd much rather have this than "he's a complete mess offensively regardless of his decent AVG."

  13. #112
    Owner MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    8,110
    Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Like
    48
    Liked 1,586 Times in 824 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Beezer07 View Post
    FWIW, I'd much rather have this than "he's a complete mess offensively regardless of his decent AVG."
    Yep. I'll take the overly passive guy with great discipline over the guy who swings at everything. It's a lot easier to teach a guy to swing than the opposite.

  14. #113
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,636
    Like
    3
    Liked 320 Times in 202 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by birdwatcher View Post
    This. The five best starters (all superior now to a broken Pelfry) in Rochester this year (May, Johnson, Meyer, Darnell, and yes, Diamond) would likely perform better than last year's Twins starters did. It's just a matter of time, and our worst starter will likely be May and not Correia, who we recall was the best SP in last year's rotation.
    Is there something in the water at Rochester? Meyer and May were K guys at AA, but Darnell and Johnson have increased their Ks by 40-50% this year.

  15. #114
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    2,293
    Like
    32
    Liked 134 Times in 82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Yep. I'll take the overly passive guy with great discipline over the guy who swings at everything. It's a lot easier to teach a guy to swing than the opposite.
    Big difference in what you are actually talking about. It's easy to tell a guy to swing more but it's not easy teach a guy to hit the ball (what Hicks isn't doing).

    Right now people are cherry picking his stats and giving him points for keeping the bat on his shoulder like a scared little leaguer and he isn't squaring up the ball often. He still has raw tools that could produce a solid MLB'er but I'm not that optimistic.

  16. #115
    Owner MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    8,110
    Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Like
    48
    Liked 1,586 Times in 824 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    Big difference in what you are actually talking about. It's easy to tell a guy to swing more but it's not easy teach a guy to hit the ball (what Hicks isn't doing).

    Right now people are cherry picking his stats and giving him points for keeping the bat on his shoulder like a scared little leaguer and he isn't squaring up the ball often. He still has raw tools that could produce a solid MLB'er but I'm not that optimistic.
    Oh, I agree. Hicks is having problems making contact... But that's not necessarily linked to his passivity at the plate. He may be taking more pitches because he's afraid to swing and miss but I view Hicks' discipline and inability to make contact as different issues with some overlap. I think the contact issues are more closely correlated with his strikeout rate, which is still too high.

  17. #116
    Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,381
    Like
    415
    Liked 812 Times in 512 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by spycake View Post
    Is there something in the water at Rochester? Meyer and May were K guys at AA, but Darnell and Johnson have increased their Ks by 40-50% this year.
    Don't know about Johnson, but Darnell was showing that potential in AA last year. He struggled a bit during his promotion. He wasn't donig 1k/ip, but he was doing very well.

  18. #117
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,636
    Like
    3
    Liked 320 Times in 202 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    Don't know about Johnson, but Darnell was showing that potential in AA last year. He struggled a bit during his promotion. He wasn't donig 1k/ip, but he was doing very well.
    Darnell was 7.2 K/9 at AA last year, in his second time through the league, and not real young for the league either (24). Fell to 6.8 in AAA last year, which was not surprising.

    9.6 this year? That's surprising! None of the starters in AAA have great BB rates right now, but they are racking up the Ks and limiting the hits (well, except for Diamond) even when their histories would not suggest it (Darnell and Johnson). I wonder if the AAA pitching coach isn't a "pitch to contact" guy? From the numbers, it looks like these guys are pitching aggressively rather than the more passive guys we are used to seeing.

  19. #118
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    978
    Like
    3
    Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
    I don't really like the Gomez/Hicks comparisons. Gomez was 23 his last year with the Twins. Hicks was 23 in the first year he was called up. And even though Gomez was younger and not very good, only his first season at age 21 was as bad as Hicks has been.

  20. #119
    Owner MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    8,110
    Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Like
    48
    Liked 1,586 Times in 824 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    I don't really like the Gomez/Hicks comparisons. Gomez was 23 his last year with the Twins. Hicks was 23 in the first year he was called up. And even though Gomez was younger and not very good, only his first season at age 21 was as bad as Hicks has been.
    Not true. Gomez posted a 76 OPS+ in his age 24 season, which was his best season to that point.

    Hicks, also in his age 24 season, currently has an OPS+ of 74.

    Both were bad before age 25. Very, very bad. Gomez obviously improved, time will tell whether Hicks does the same.

  21. #120
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    867
    Like
    467
    Liked 83 Times in 63 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spycake View Post
    Is there something in the water at Rochester? Meyer and May were K guys at AA, but Darnell and Johnson have increased their Ks by 40-50% this year.
    They both had spring training time with Rick Anderson.

    I'm ducking.

  22. This user likes birdwatcher's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    USAFChief (05-20-2014)

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.