Thread: What Bugs Me

Liked 682 Times in 439 Posts
    Blog Entries

What Bugs Me

I got to get this off my chest. I'm still trying to walk this one off.

To many it's a small issue in the face of many large issues with the 2012 Twins.

To Me... It's a big picture large philisophical issue.

To be very clear... I don't care about Hughes and Burroughs. I harbored no illusions that these two were going to perform like Andrew McCutchen or even McGehee for that matter.

My problem that I struggle with is this:

Burroughs had 17 at bats... Hughes had 10 at bats.

Meanwhile the starting lineup features thus far:

Carroll .213
    Velencia .232
    Doumit .230
    Morneau .230
    Parmelee .222

Shaking things up means cutting the guys who didn't play!!! Leaving the ones actually playing to continue. This is my issue and it is still bugging me.

It's like if your car doesn't work so you give away your bicycle.

Liked 293 Times in 165 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You make a good point. But you left out Plouffe at .108.

It seems that a lot of us would like to see more shuffling of the lineup in the hope that someone can step up. But Gardy/Ryan don't seem to want to do this. I wish we knew what they are thinking.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Parmelee should and probably will be sent to AAA. Morneau is hurt again(broken record). Valencia is being pushed by no one, way to comfortable in my opinion. Doumit and Carroll are adjusting to a new league and will do just fine(I hope/think). Not everyone is going to hit .300 and hit 25 HR's, but if they can get everyone to perform at their career averages the team should be fine.

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I understand your point, but I guess I would ask what you would do. Parmelee to Rochester isn't a bad plan. I've suggested it... But who are you going to bring up and expect to do better. Carroll, Doumit and Morneau all have enough longevity and credibility that we need to believe they'll be fine.

Liked 320 Times in 190 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Batting averages mean nothing by themselves. Parmelee should probably be in Rochester and replaced by Bates. Other than that, the team has nobody who can play third base and hit better than Valencia in the majors right now. Carroll and Doumit will turn it around. Morneau is going on the DL.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Liked 682 Times in 439 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    I understand your point, but I guess I would ask what you would do. Parmelee to Rochester isn't a bad plan. I've suggested it... But who are you going to bring up and expect to do better. Carroll, Doumit and Morneau all have enough longevity and credibility that we need to believe they'll be fine.
    I would have given Hughes and Burroughs some more at bats before cutting them loose. The Guys starting everyday were not getting it done. Maybe they will later... Maybe they won't... Maybe Hughes and Burroughs were going to get it going with a few swings... Maybe later... Maybe they won't.

The one thing for sure is that we have a large contigent of starters who did not hit in April. Baseball is a streaky game... That guy who's hot may be sitting on your bench while you are playing the slumping guy hoping he breaks out of it.

It's not like they were being blocked from playing time by Josh Hamilton.

I'm not insane... OK maybe a little. But, I'm not insane... OK well I am... But regardless of my sanity.

We came into spring training with a roster and the hope of having some depth on this team. By God... We would not have to endure starting Drew Butera and the Rochester replacements this year because TR did an OK job of providing a little depth to this outfit. The lack of depth last year was excruciatingly painful to endure.

I had no unreasonable expectations for Burroughs or Hughes other than they would be options. They didn't even make it to April and now we have (Plouffe or Parmelee), Komatsu and Butera. Not to mention Morneau out a week. How stuck do you want to be?

Doesn't it beg the question... What direction did TR and Gardy and whoever else was in the meeting come up with going into and coming out of spring training? Did they really mis-assess the situation that badly? They couldn't even make it out of April before tossing the bench overboard without playing them! When it's the starters who were not getting the job done!

OUR DEPTH IS GONE. No matter how questionable the depth was to begin with... and it was questionable... I'm not making them out to more then they are... But It's totally gone now. AND this team needs depth. It's not that good overall... We didn't have to just hand the job to Mr. So-So everyday when we had another Mr. So-So who could give it a whirl. We had the ability to move some players around. Try some different combinations. Look for a spark... There was multi positional options to this squad. It's Gone now. We have no choice but to wait for Carroll and Velencia to heat up and until then... The same lineup will be trudged out every day.

I know Dozier will be up soon and the 13th pitcher will be dropped eventually. I assume that Doumit has a streak in him somewhere down the line.

Velencia isn't performing... How do you fix that problem... Kill his backups. I shake my head over this... I guess I just see things differently. I'm still with my team... I can deal with a bad squad. I'm frustrated over the lack of direction and the quick panic change.

P.S. thrylos98... I know that batting average isn't the ultimate stat. Regardless of the stat I used. Those guys listed are not hitting near enough to be able to walk past the lineup card without checking for their names.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Burroughs and Hughes both hit over .300 in spring training. They seemed poised to help the team. I agree that they were not given enough opportunities. There were certainly situations where they could have been inserted in some of the MANY blowout games to see what they could or couldn't do...I am BUGGED by the continual unsettled situation in RF. Revere, Plouffe, Thomas, now the new guy....they should have paid Cuddy or Kubes to stay.

Liked 293 Times in 165 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twinzgrl View Post
    Burroughs and Hughes both hit over .300 in spring training. They seemed poised to help the team. I agree that they were not given enough opportunities. There were certainly situations where they could have been inserted in some of the MANY blowout games to see what they could or couldn't do...I am BUGGED by the continual unsettled situation in RF. Revere, Plouffe, Thomas, now the new guy....they should have paid Cuddy or Kubes to stay.
    I like your idea of trotting out the bench players when the Twins are getting blown out so that we can give them a chance. And since the Twins have been getting blown out a LOT, it does seem like they should have played more.

I wonder how many at bats a player should get before being sent down? Or is it enough to see that a player is not even coming close to having good at bats?

I wish that Gardenhire was reading this thread.

Bugs me that Revere gets passed over by other teams' trash. I'm not too high on Revere but just call him up and let him play.