Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Revere trade revisited

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,598 Times in 831 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Brian, I look at that play and say "Boy, that Ben Revere sure is fast... But what the &^%$ was he doing in left field against a guy whose spray chart looks like":

scooter.jpg

It's possible that's coaching, but...

2. This user likes Brock Beauchamp's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Riverbrian (05-21-2014)

Liked 2,304 Times in 1,295 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Brian, I look at that play and say "Boy, that Ben Revere sure is fast... But what the &^%$ was he doing in left field against a guy whose spray chart looks like":

scooter.jpg

It's possible that's coaching, but...
    LOL... To that I don't know. It's quite possible that right before Scooter made contact... Ryne Sandberg looked up from reaching into the sunflower seed bag and said. "What the Hell is Revere doing over there".

If Revere is positioning himself and having a consistent problem with it. The coaches need to put the sunflower seeds down and lean over the railing and wave their hat and position him for each batter.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 820 Times in 515 Posts
    Blog Entries
    of course if they were pitching him inside, perhaps they were expecting him to pull. I learned a ton about UZR today, so I really appreciate this conversation. I cannot help but wonder if it would just be easier to track the number of catches an OF makes relative to their peers at the same position. You can normalize it by the number of innings played in the position. I'd think the better defenders would typically lead those categories. If they are out of position, it shows. If they are in position, it shows. A lot more simple, and then you can start calculating how many outs/game a good defender can make.

5. This user likes diehardtwinsfan's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Riverbrian (05-21-2014)

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 668 Times in 377 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    of course if they were pitching him inside, perhaps they were expecting him to pull. I learned a ton about UZR today, so I really appreciate this conversation. I cannot help but wonder if it would just be easier to track the number of catches an OF makes relative to their peers at the same position. You can normalize it by the number of innings played in the position. I'd think the better defenders would typically lead those categories. If they are out of position, it shows. If they are in position, it shows. A lot more simple, and then you can start calculating how many outs/game a good defender can make.
    It's a valid thought. I have a hard time swallowing most defensive metrics because they pretend to have a great deal of accuracy and objectivity but they are still, fundamentally, based on a significant amount of subjectivity.

They're nice to look at, they're interesting, but I haven't seen much reason to trust them.

7. This user likes TheLeviathan's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Riverbrian (05-21-2014)

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345