Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Article: Twins Minor League Report (5/17): Pitching is Punished

  1. #1
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer Steve Lein's Avatar
    Posts
    505
    Twitter
    @HangingSL
    Like
    28
    Liked 29 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    15

    Article: Twins Minor League Report (5/17): Pitching is Punished

    Scouting Report: Tools - Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 40, Speed: 40. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but can sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)
    Spring Training Regular since 2011.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    644
    Like
    5
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Eades has a weird line today
    5 IP 7 strike outs 2 walks. 1 hr
    4 ground outs.
    1 hr
    But 9 hits.

    I'm starting to wonder about the quality of the defense in Cedar Rapids.
    I haven't seen them play at all but....thats a lot b of balls that dropped for a hit. Usually when a guy gets 7 SO he has stuff good enough to limit runs. I wonder what's going on down there

  3. #3
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,494
    Like
    156
    Liked 142 Times in 74 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clutterheart View Post
    Eades has a weird line today
    5 IP 7 strike outs 2 walks. 1 hr
    4 ground outs.
    1 hr
    But 9 hits.

    I'm starting to wonder about the quality of the defense in Cedar Rapids.
    I haven't seen them play at all but....thats a lot b of balls that dropped for a hit. Usually when a guy gets 7 SO he has stuff good enough to limit runs. I wonder what's going on down there
    Pretty hard to blame the defense when a guy gives up 6 extra base hits. If they were all seeing eye singles, then maybe.

  4. #4
    Twins News Team MVP
    Posts
    6,757
    Like
    882
    Liked 856 Times in 552 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Brooks View Post
    Pretty hard to blame the defense when a guy gives up 6 extra base hits. If they were all seeing eye singles, then maybe.
    I agree, it's far more likely a function of just one bad outing by Eades.

    That said, his overall May numbers are deteriorating- which begs the question- Why? In breaking down the intrinsic differences, his BABIP rose from .350 to .390 from April to May, with his May BABIP-IFB sitting at .400, and all this while his GB% has actually had a huge uptick- going from 31%. to 43% and his LD% and OFB% have dropped month over month. His K/9 has actually improved, by better than one K/9: from 8.20 in April, to 9.42 in May.

    To be bluntly honest, the crew behind him performed poorly in E-Town last year, and maybe as a group, they just aren't very good in the field. Combine that with Eades pitching in some bad luck, I think you get a decent inference on what's happening down there. I wait for JC to straighten this all out.
    Last edited by jokin; 05-18-2014 at 12:58 PM.

  5. #5
    Owner MVP Seth Stohs's Avatar
    Posts
    6,520
    Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Like
    68
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    515
    It's impossible to know without being there. There are extra base hits that would be outs at higher levels as well in the lower levels of the minor leagues.

  6. #6
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,494
    Like
    156
    Liked 142 Times in 74 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    It's impossible to know without being there. There are extra base hits that would be outs at higher levels as well in the lower levels of the minor leagues.
    Perhaps, but I think you'd be going out on quite a limb to think that 6 XBH's were all the result of sloppy defense.
    Kohl Stewart pitches with the same defense behind him, and he's allowed half as many hits as Eades, in nearly as many innings.
    Eades was also a college pitcher, who was facing one of the most punchless lineups from one of the worst farm systems in baseball.
    He should be downright dominating a lineup like that, period. There isn't any way to sugarcoat it.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    644
    Like
    5
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Brooks View Post
    Perhaps, but I think you'd be going out on quite a limb to think that 6 XBH's were all the result of sloppy defense.
    Kohl Stewart pitches with the same defense behind him, and he's allowed half as many hits as Eades, in nearly as many innings.
    Eades was also a college pitcher, who was facing one of the most punchless lineups from one of the worst farm systems in baseball.
    He should be downright dominating a lineup like that, period. There isn't any way to sugarcoat it.
    Im not really defending Eades. I agree he could be doing better, but its a weird line he put out. He struck guys out, kept walks down, and got some ground outs.
    But gave up 9 hits and 7 runs. It seems weird to me.
    Last edited by clutterheart; 05-18-2014 at 03:25 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.