Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Article: Lost Playing Time Hurting Top Twins Prospects

Twins Contributor Big-Leaguer Cody Christie's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Lost Playing Time Hurting Top Twins Prospects

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Wouldn't it make sense for Rosario to gain experience at 2nd as he already has plenty of outfield experience.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    He'll continue to play both places. Because of Dozier's emergence, he is unlikely to play 2B in the big leagues with the Twins as a regular, but even if he comes up as a LF, he can also be a #2 2B. Versatility is good.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 540 Times in 350 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Where will Rosario start out when he makes his return? I had been thinking he would go to New Britain, but I suppose he could start out with the Miracle.

Also, I checked BBRef and it says that Eddie's outfield time was spent in center field. In the event of a continued Hicks meltdown and a delay for Buxton, is it possible that Eddie could play some center field for the Twins?

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    He'll continue to play both places. Because of Dozier's emergence, he is unlikely to play 2B in the big leagues with the Twins as a regular, but even if he comes up as a LF, he can also be a #2 2B. Versatility is good.
    I don't agree with the bolded above:

- Dozier is 27, Rosario is 22. They have 5 years age difference. Rosario will be 26 when Dozier is scheduled to be a free agent

- If Rosario proves to be a good player (and his ceiling is higher than Dozier's,) the Twins should sell high on Dozier and fill a position of need (and I am not sure what that need would be in 2015 or 2016 or so.) The Twins just got to learn how to do that (or get a GM who can do that.) This is what competitive teams (from the Rays, to the As, to the Tigers, to the Red Sox, to name a few) do.

Short term (2014) might make sense to have Rosario play the OF, because, frankly, I'd rather see him than Danny Santana or Eric Farris at CF.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    I don't agree with the bolded above:

- Dozier is 27, Rosario is 22. They have 5 years age difference. Rosario will be 26 when Dozier is scheduled to be a free agent

- If Rosario proves to be a good player (and his ceiling is higher than Dozier's,) the Twins should sell high on Dozier and fill a position of need (and I am not sure what that need would be in 2015 or 2016 or so.) The Twins just got to learn how to do that (or get a GM who can do that.) This is what competitive teams (from the Rays, to the As, to the Tigers, to the Red Sox, to name a few) do.

Short term (2014) might make sense to have Rosario play the OF, because, frankly, I'd rather see him than Danny Santana or Eric Farris at CF.
    I agree, the Twins are several years away, if Rosario can be good as second, his value is higher to the Twins. I would think the Twins could get better value for Dozier then moving Rosario to the outfield.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 820 Times in 515 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    I just don't see Rosario in the OF (unless he shows he can play center). His value (both as a prospect and as a team contributor) is immensely tied to his bat at a position where his bat plays up better. He's a guy who can hit well, but not well enough to play in the corners. I still think that if he emerges after this suspension that he's either going to get traded or the Twins are going to consider moving Dozier back to SS. Personally, I think the later makes a ton more sense for the team (with the only exception being Santana's bat suddenly taking a leap forward).

Senior Member Double-A Wookiee of the Year's Avatar
    Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for this, Cody. It actually reassures me some to be reminded just how much younger Buxton and Sano have been compared to their competition. Even with their lost time, they're still well ahead of schedule.

I imagine if Buxton comes back even around mid-season, they can start him in A+ where he can get his feet wet before a promotion to AA for the rest of the year. Depending on his numbers, he'd probably finish this year about where Sano did last year--unclear whether he'll start 2015 in AA or AAA, with legitimate cases for both.

Hopefully Sano can get back by the end of the season and flash some continued brilliance either in AA, the Arizona Fall League, or Winter Ball. I want to see him demonstrate that he should start 2015 in AAA.

I'd like to see Rosario play 2B, CF, and corner outfield spots--maybe he can be the Twins' equivalent of Ben Zobrist. I imagine he debuts back at AA this year, but where he finishes, I have no idea--not least of all because the Twins have such a need in CF. I'll also be curious if the Twins are slow to promote him due to perceived maturity issues, or if they feel he's served the consequences of his actions with his suspension and no further penalty is warranted.

It still seems odd to me that there is discussion about the potential of Rosario over the production of Dozier. Dozier is on pace to be a 40/40 guy, but of course potential is more important. I realize that he probably wont make the 40/40 club but he has a better chance of that than a guy that is suspended in the minor leagues.

Quote Originally Posted by rcfarmer View Post
    It still seems odd to me that there is discussion about the potential of Rosario over the production of Dozier. Dozier is on pace to be a 40/40 guy, but of course potential is more important. I realize that he probably wont make the 40/40 club but he has a better chance of that than a guy that is suspended in the minor leagues.
    I don't think the discussion is potential over productions, it just that Rosario is more valuable at second than left field. If Dozier is 40/40, nobody talking about trading him. But it Rosario level of play ends up being close to Dozier at second and Dozier has trade value and cost more money, the correct move would be to explore trades insteads of moving Rosario to the outfield.

But on the positive side, if we continue to use Rosario in the infield in the minors, it's perfect training for him to be an outfielder in the majors.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 820 Times in 515 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kblack1011 View Post
    I don't think the discussion is potential over productions, it just that Rosario is more valuable at second than left field. If Dozier is 40/40, nobody talking about trading him. But it Rosario level of play ends up being close to Dozier at second and Dozier has trade value and cost more money, the correct move would be to explore trades insteads of moving Rosario to the outfield.

But on the positive side, if we continue to use Rosario in the infield in the minors, it's perfect training for him to be an outfielder in the majors.
    Heck if he's 30/30 he isn't going anywhere. I still think if Rosario forces the issue, Dozier moves back to SS. He's been bringing up the average to go with the power, at one point, the team has to recognize that the offensive boost at the position is well worth the defensive drop off, especially if there's a 2B right behind him who is clearly ready.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 61 Times in 48 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kblack1011 View Post
    I agree, the Twins are several years away, if Rosario can be good as second, his value is higher to the Twins. I would think the Twins could get better value for Dozier then moving Rosario to the outfield.
    I disagree. The Twins can be competitive this season if they can get another starting pitcher to succeed and if Escobar is the answer at SS.