Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Article: How Do You Like Chris Parmelee Now?

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 489 Times in 285 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    And yet another player who didn't find much difficulty in reaching the TF right field seats. How "unfair" is this park for lefties, really?
    Totally agree

Liked 397 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    Feeling and thinking. I get mad at my students when they say "I feel that" instead of what they should say which is "I think that." Baseball is the thinking game and video analysis like this can enhance the thinking approach and preparation to the game. Eeesh!
    I "think" there's room for both. We are after all talking about Kinesiology. While kinesiology has the ology at the end, it's really just physics and muscle memory and you can't bring a calculator on to the field.

I couldn't agree with you more that video analysis is critical to improvement, instant reaction is what causes results on the field.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Parker Hageman View Post
    When I talked to Tom Brunansky last year in regards to how he makes changes, he said he prefers hitters get a "feel" rather than a "look".

via: http://twinsdaily.com/content.php/17...el-for-the-job

I think in Parmelee's case, his 2013 was about feel -- he was more comfortable with that and used it more in the games.
    Does anyone else find this incongruent with Hicks getting hung out to dry in the media by Gardy and TR for being "too laid back"?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sconnie View Post
    Does anyone else find this incongruent with Hicks getting hung out to dry in the media by Gardy and TR for being "too laid back"?
    Personally, I kind of like it. Gardy and TR are holding him responsible for his poor performance so far this season. Hopefully this will light a fire under him and get him performing to an acceptable standard.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 812 Times in 512 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Feeling and thinking. I get mad at my students when they say "I feel that" instead of what they should say which is "I think that."
    I feel you misunderstood what Parker was saying. I think it should depend on whether or not they are saying it from their head or from their heart

Senior Member Triple-A DocBauer's Avatar
    Liked 173 Times in 98 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Always thought the Twins fell in love too early with Parmelee's potential and his numbers to close the season a couple years ago. Just felt he was rushed a bit and never really allowed to get comfortable and work through things. Thought he got yo-yo'ed. I understood passing him through waivers this year and was happy he went unclaimed as I felt there was a lot of potential unfulfilled yet. I don't know if this is a "light bulb on" time in his career or not, but between Rochester and the early returns, I am hopeful.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hosken Bombo Disco View Post
    So you're this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dd7FixvoKBw
    (link to page is safe; video not quite SFW/language)
    Hilarious!

Senior Member Big-Leaguer jimbo92107's Avatar
    Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Feeling and thinking. I get mad at my students when they say "I feel that" instead of what they should say which is "I think that." Baseball is the thinking game and video analysis like this can enhance the thinking approach and preparation to the game. Eeesh!
    When a ball is in motion, intellectual processing is too slow. Nobody thinks his way through hitting a fastball. You don't even have time to vocalize "see it, hit it," before the ball hits the catcher's glove. After a player spends a ton of time learning the proper swing mechanics, during a game all you have time to do is react to what you see, try to limit your trigger to an area of the strike zone, then put a swing on it. If it's not in that zone, you check your swing. If you understand the situation well enough, and if you read the physical cues well enough, then your zone of expectation is pretty narrow. At that point, you might just be able to hit a baseball with that stick.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    And yet another player who didn't find much difficulty in reaching the TF right field seats. How "unfair" is this park for lefties, really?
    Pretty unfair. There are homers that are homers anywhere and there are homers that would be off the wall in some parks and outs in other parks. Cano has averaged about 28 homers in his last 4 years with the Yankees but now has 1 with Seattle. I saw two he hit this weekend that would have had a good chance to get out at many parks. Hrbek's homers were out at any park while Mauer even in his MVP year had homers at the dome that would definitely not have gone out at Target. Its not just distance but weather. The Rockies for example have been near the top of the league for runs scored for many years without having the cast to do so at many other parks.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sconnie View Post

it seems like Brunansky and Molitor have had a profound impact on the team in a fairly short amount of time, and the shift of focus from contact hitting focus to power hitting focus with Parms may be more evidence of it.
    I don't know if it is true or not but you can hardly blame the failure of the last three years as being too focused on contact hitting because they have been so bad at it. In fact last year the team was close to league average in power and at the bottom in OBP while setting team records in strikeouts. If anything, the last three years have been a display of swinging too hard trying to pull the ball rather than anything else. Not sure if it is still true but the stats of the team a couple weeks ago showed that the only real difference in this year's offense and last year's offense was OBP as a result of a lot more walks.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 847 Times in 543 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantes929 View Post
    Pretty unfair. There are homers that are homers anywhere and there are homers that would be off the wall in some parks and outs in other parks. Cano has averaged about 28 homers in his last 4 years with the Yankees but now has 1 with Seattle. I saw two he hit this weekend that would have had a good chance to get out at many parks. Hrbek's homers were out at any park while Mauer even in his MVP year had homers at the dome that would definitely not have gone out at Target. Its not just distance but weather. The Rockies for example have been near the top of the league for runs scored for many years without having the cast to do so at many other parks.
    At 5280 feet elevation, Coors is a different animal altogether. I still take exception to all of the whining done back when the ballpark opened, including the specious blaming the lack of power on the spruce trees. TF is a tougher place to hit a HR than the Dome or Yankee Stadium? Sure. "Unfair"? Big league hitters should be able to adjust, it's documented that a bunch of guys not named Thome still regularly reach the RF seats in TF.

Parms is currently on a 1 for 17 streak dating back to May 14th, all on the homestand. Teams already adjusting to him? Seattle looked like they were busting him in a lot, something he likes to swing at but not hit much. BA is down to .242. I still don't think he has what it takes. A bigger leg kick won't help him hit an inside fastball.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 35 Posts
    This season it is like the pitchers lost the "book" on Twin's hitters. There is a hot streak by many to start out with until the other team remembers where the hole in the swing was.

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 332 Times in 162 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kdrupp09 View Post
    Personally, I kind of like it. Gardy and TR are holding him responsible for his poor performance so far this season. Hopefully this will light a fire under him and get him performing to an acceptable standard.
    Be nice if the Pohlads held Gardy and TR responsible for the last couple years. Fair is fair.
    This comment brought to you from the Rosedale Mall studio by Hamm's Beer, brewed in the land of sky blue waters.

15. These 2 users like Winston Smith's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

kdrupp09 (05-19-2014), mike wants wins (05-19-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
    Be nice if the Pohlads held Gardy and TR responsible for the last couple years. Fair is fair.
    Although to be fair, TR did go out and get some pitching and the team is playing better this year. Not to say that I don't agree with you about the prior years.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by VandyTwinsFan View Post
    Parms is currently on a 1 for 17 streak dating back to May 14th, all on the homestand. Teams already adjusting to him? Seattle looked like they were busting him in a lot, something he likes to swing at but not hit much. BA is down to .242. I still don't think he has what it takes. A bigger leg kick won't help him hit an inside fastball.
    Time for him to adjust now. He can alter his approach to hit inside pitches. That's more a timing thing than anything else.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 42 Times in 28 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Is he back to clear waivers stage yet, man its not looking good.

Blog Entries
    He's played exactly how much? This is what royally bothers me about Gardy. He started out well, got into a slump, and hasn't seen the light of day since. You have to let him work through it, not bench him at the expense of Nunez, Kubel, Cola, etc.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,586 Times in 824 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It's inexcusable to play Kubel over Parmelee at this point.

21. This user likes Brock Beauchamp's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Monkeypaws (06-07-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Agreed, front office needs to remove the Kubel option at this point.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast