Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 121 Times in 67 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Draft Series - Part 4: Five for 45

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 103 Times in 73 Posts
    Not only do I believe a system can never have enough LHPers but that seems to be a strength this year. I have been a huge Marshall/Forrest fan but also wouldn't mind Reed. I'm also very interested in RHPer Spencer Adams but I believe he has pitched himself into the 1st round.

One thing you bring up that is something I have thought about a lot is if the Twins draft a HS player in the first round would they feel comfortable grabbing another one in the 2nd round? A name I believe you (i could be wrong) linked the Twins to earlier in the year was Luke Weaver. He could fit the Ryan Eades role as a once potential top 15 pick college RHPer who fell to the second round. Maybe I'm just over thinking things.

3. This user likes cmb0252's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

tarheeltwinsfan (05-17-2014)

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    I agree completely. I actually had three more names that took off (because Eight for 45 didn't sound right) and they were: Justus Sheffield, Michael Gettys and Luke Weaver.

I have not been told this, but I believe that the organization would be comfortable taking two preps to start the draft. Two reasons: 1) Crazy HS pitching depth 2) The Twins have more quality arms in the minors than they've ever had before (at least in the last 10-12 years) and can afford to add upside.

5. This user likes Jeremy Nygaard's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

tarheeltwinsfan (05-17-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A maxisagod's Avatar
    Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post
    I agree completely. I actually had three more names that took off (because Eight for 45 didn't sound right) and they were: Justus Sheffield, Michael Gettys and Luke Weaver.

I have not been told this, but I believe that the organization would be comfortable taking two preps to start the draft. Two reasons: 1) Crazy HS pitching depth 2) The Twins have more quality arms in the minors than they've ever had before (at least in the last 10-12 years) and can afford to add upside.
    Seeing how low Weaver has been ranking on lists lately and how high the Twins have been on him, makes me think he is a possibility in the 2nd for the Hometown team.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    In 2012, they took Buxton and then followed that with Berrios, so they certainly wouldn't be at all worried about that.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 384 Times in 214 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'd love to see Medeiros fall to the Twins in the 2nd round. BA has him at 35 atm.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 103 Times in 73 Posts

That's great to hear. I would hate for them to skip over talent to have a safer draft. While they did draft two HS players in a row in 2012 they did spend 9 of their next 11 top 10 round picks on college players.

Justus Sheffield seems like a Berrios type pick. Under sized pitcher but big time stuff. Definitely seems like a Twins pick and I wouldn't mind it at all.

As for Gettys he would be the steal of the draft. Would love for him to fall that far but with the lack of quality position players in this draft I feel someone might take a chance on his huge ceiling before we pick again. Doesn't mean I can dream!

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2) The Twins have more quality arms in the minors than they've ever had before (at least in the last 10-12 years) and can afford to add upside.
    Agree. Which is why I would have no problem with them going crazy on position players and college arms as some good guys might fall as teams try to load up. This draft is an opportunity to get some position players as other team goes for arms
    Last edited by clutterheart; 05-15-2014 at 12:36 AM. Reason: stupid

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Willihammer View Post
    I'd love to see Medeiros fall to the Twins in the 2nd round. BA has him at 35 atm.
    That would be a steal, but he keeps getting better and better. I could see him continuing to ascend into the middle of the first round.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 219 Times in 139 Posts
    Here's how mlbpipeline ranks these guys:
    Marshall 58
    Reed 61
    Davis 66
    Cederoth 52
    Forbes 51

Just for fun, the 2011 draft rankings of our picks were Michael ranked at 31 (they only went 50 deep). In 2012 it was Buxton 1, Berrios 46, Walker 50, Chargois 67, Melatokis 91. Last year it was Stewart 7, Eades 29, Gonzalez 98 in the top 100. That doesn't tell us much other than their lists get a bit crazy pretty quickly. Bobby Wuhl, for instance, was ranked #30 on their list and fell to Oakland in the 5th round.

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    Right. Signability becomes pretty significant pretty early. I think Wahl was dealing with an arm thing around draft time, and that played into his tumble. (I think... I could be wrong.)

Senior Member All-Star
    Reed sounds a lot like Hudson Boyd, which could be a good thing - i.e. the Twins have drafted that body type before, or bad - Boyd has been bad. Marshall sounds intriguing as does Davis.

Twins have been scouting GA like crazy the last few years - I remember reading an article years ago about them wanting to improve scouting in that area and they hired that wonderful scout from Tampa and put Ryan in charge of regional scouting before he came back as GM. So they might really like Marshall. I wonder if Gettys could fall to them? They've also drafted a lot of relief pitchers in the 2nd round under Deron Johnson - maybe Lindgren? I don't think Burdi falls that far but if he did, I think they'd jump on him.

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    The Twins drafted Burdi out high school.

The scout that's in Georgia is Jack Powell, he drafted Matt Moore (Tampa) and Jose Bautista (Pittsburgh).

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 817 Times in 515 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'd argue that it's possible Fede or Hoffman might be there at 2 as well. I'd say the odds are low, but both being out for TJ along with a few hard to sign HS guys, those are guys I'd think long and hard about grabbing if they had drafted someone like Gordon who may go underslot a bit.

This whole article should have been thrown out. 45? Gimme a break...

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Cris E View Post
    I know this is probably tongue in cheek but ... Jeremy had asked what kind of draft articles we wanted and many of us said we wanted to have better discussions about the possible second round picks. We've already had enough discussion about the first pick. And Jeremy's obviously doing some hardwork to do this so I'm glad he put this out there, even if Marshall isn't our pick.

19. These 2 users like gunnarthor's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

diehardtwinsfan (05-15-2014), tarheeltwinsfan (05-17-2014)

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cris E View Post
    I blame it all on the compensatory picks. Teams slide up, teams slide down. When Kirby did his mock through 45, I was like, "Sweet, Twins..." only to realize they drafted #46. #Brainfart apparently

Senior Member Triple-A Paul Pleiss's Avatar
    Twitter
    @baseballpirate
    Liked 97 Times in 66 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Jeremy, what I'd like to see is you start predicting Twins draft picks in rounds 16-25. I'd be okay with you just making up names, as long as they are good baseball names. A prep short stop Sloppy Butterfingers would be a great grab in the 19th round, but they'd likely have to give him some extra dollar bills to keep him from attending Le Cordon Bleu cooking school where he hopes to turn his butter fingers into delicious chocolate chip cookie hands.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 51 Times in 35 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Butterfingers has really looked good this spring. He'll probably go in the 12-14 range.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 84 Times in 63 Posts
    The Twins like Sloppy Butterfinger's makeup.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast