Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Parmelee... What happens after?

Liked 2,296 Times in 1,288 Posts
    Blog Entries

Parmelee... What happens after?

To be clear... I'm not reacting to his nice start. Parm could return to average or below at any time.

But... For discussion... Let's say that Parm starts producing numbers like he was in AAA. Let's say it looks like he fixed some things. Let's say the team gets and stays healthy.

What happens when Arcia and Hammer are ready? Does Parm stay?

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    My guess? Hammer is up because Gardy, but I could not possibly predict who he replaces.

My preference? Arcia and Parm up, and Hammer DFAd and a RP sent down.
    Lighten up Francis....

3. This user likes mike wants wins's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Sconnie (05-14-2014)

Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 214 Times in 100 Posts
    If Parmey continues to hit, I'll bet the Twins will stash Ozzie at AAA. I know I'm in the minority opinion on this, but Ozzie needs more time in the minors anyway. He hasn't really hit well and his outfield defense might be worse than Colabellosie's.

Willinghammy... eh, I guess you cross that bridge when you come to it. I wouldn't be surprised if he's eventually put on the 60-day DL, but if not, an infielder or (hopefully) a reliever gets sent down.
    Last edited by Boom Boom; 05-14-2014 at 01:31 PM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 321 Times in 203 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Plenty of room. Right now nobody has much of a claim to start in LF, RF, or DH (not to mention the known trouble spots of SS and CF).

Santana or Nunez will be back in AAA at some point, and we could drop a pitcher too. If Kubel keeps trending down, I hope they're not afraid to cut him once we have ready replacements. Colabello could easily wind up taking Parm's spot down in AAA too.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Kirby_Waved_At_Me's Avatar
    Liked 166 Times in 87 Posts
    I think Willingham might be back as early as the end of May or early June:

"Twins GM Rob Antony said outfielder Josh Willingham, out since April 7 with a broken wrist, took early batting practice and could begin a minor league rehab assignment this weekend."
    from the ESPN re-cap of yesterday's win.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby_Waved_At_Me View Post
    I think Willingham might be back as early as the end of May or early June:

"Twins GM Rob Antony said outfielder Josh Willingham, out since April 7 with a broken wrist, took early batting practice and could begin a minor league rehab assignment this weekend."
    from the ESPN re-cap of yesterday's win.
    The same thing was said about Arcia about 2 weeks ago and he had a setback on his rehab stint.

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 206 Times in 115 Posts
    Kubel and Colabello haven't been hitting (much) since their uberhot start. Kubel just sat for three days.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 534 Times in 347 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Arcia did homer for the first time last night. He is hitting .300 and playing every day, although I know he has been replaced in several games. If the Twins want to call him up, he could come up, but I'm not convinced they think he's ready for every day major league duty.

Hicks being sent down seems like a real possibility to make room for Hammersy. Heck, they are starting a AAA shortstop in CF over Hicksy anyway.

Then Santana probably goes back down when Fuldsy is ready. And I agree that Arcia in AAA for the time being makes plenty of sense.

I actually think there is a potential lesson learned to be had from Parmelee's success that will result in Hicks getting sent down. Parmelee may finally have achieved the maturity and seasoning he needed to be successful (with all sample size caveats noted). Hicks is clearly not there yet - and AAA may be necessary for him to work on those things that are keeping him from being successful at the major league level.

Of course Hicks going down presents a CF problem - Fuld may need to be the full time guy with an occasional start for Arcia, once he returns. Not ideal, but maybe necessary and clearly plausible given who they have thrown out there of late.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 812 Times in 512 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I want to see Parm playing every day between now and the end of the season simply to see if he can hack it. He's done well enough in AAA to get an extended chance, one he hasn't gotten in MLB. I'm glad he's hitting well, as that means he will be staying in the lineup for the time being.

That said, to answer the OPs question, Willingham, if he's hitting, could get traded and solve that, but I'd bet on Arcia or Hicks getting optioned.

13. These 2 users like diehardtwinsfan's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (05-14-2014), Sconnie (05-14-2014)

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,282 Times in 686 Posts
    Either Hicks or Santana get sent down when Fuld returns, a relief pitcher goes down when Arcia is ready, (Tonkin likely) Colabello goes when Hammer is ready, Parm stays.

If Colabello stays then Santana goes down when Fuld comes back and Hicks goes down for Hammer. Either way a relief pitcher has to go for Arcia.

15. This user likes twinsnorth49's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

USAFChief (05-14-2014)

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 49 Times in 34 Posts
    Why don't we wait and see who gets hurts between now and when either Willingham or Arcia gets called up. I think Tonkin goes down when Fuld gets back, and wait and see on Santana/Hicks before the next guy if everyone stays healthy.

Liked 3,166 Times in 1,355 Posts
    I think as long as he's showing signs of competence at the plate, he stays no matter what happens with others. For one thing, there's still too many pitchers, for another Santana is likely headed back to Rochester, and finally Hicks can be sent down if necessary.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

Arcia will get more time in the minors, and might stay there as long as others produce on the major league level.

Willingham will have to spend at least two weeks in the minors whenever he comes back.

I picture Fuld coming back and Tonkin going down for starters. Hicks will be on the bubble and would go down when Willingham returns.

The Twins may see fit to give Hicks realtime at AAA (remember, he hasn't played that much at that level...moreso at the major league level). I also picture the the Twins may have to make a decision on Pinto...does he play everyday at Rochester (which means Fryer comes up for a spell) or does he get at bats at the expense of Kubel/Willingham/Parmelee/Nunez.

Nunez is the wildcard. You don't really want him on the field at short if Escobar and Santana continue to play well. You keep him on the bench and play Santana with Fuld in centerfield.

So, picture Tonkin goong down. Then Hicks (or Colabello, perhaos). When Pelfrey comes back, and rehabs for a couple of weeks in the minors, the Twins will either make a decision on Guerrier (or Burton) by then, or maybe Pelfrey would be designated and become the next Nick Blackburn, spending time at AAA with the hopes of coming back in September or next year.

Right now, you go with your best 25. The line-up against Boston was pretty good looking at the moment, with Dozier the low average guy, but bringing so much more other stuff to the table. Hopefully Correia will right himself, Deduno will shine, and Hughes will do better than one bad start out of every three.
    Parmelee is hungry. Like Perkins from a few years ago, he was an unwanted man. The Twins have a few of these guys: Nunez, Kubel, Fuld can be cut loose at the drop of a hat and the Twins lose little. If they fail to produce, they won't find another major league job. Colabello is also hungry. Maybe the rest will keep him from pushing, maybe he shouldn't bat 4th, whatever.
    Joel Thingvall
    www.thingvall.com
    rosterman at www.twinscards.com

Liked 33 Times in 24 Posts
    Blog Entries
    FYI, Fuld is coming back too. Ideally, we'd get one of those pesky relievers out of the bullpen. But I really don't know if we can send any of them down. At this point, it'd be Tonkin, but that probably won't happen. Here's what should happen...

Activate Fuld, send down Hicks/Tonkin. (I'd pick Tonkin cause we cause use a backup OF)
    Activate Arcia, option him to AAA
    If not 60 day DL, then activate Willingham, send down Santana.

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 332 Times in 162 Posts
    I think its expecting a lot to think Willingham will produce much when he comes back. He looked bad last year when he played, looked bad in spring training nothing really to say he didn't just get old kind of fast.
    Now he hasn't played in nearly two months odds are not good he'll produce much (I'll let Brian figure the odds, he's good at math).
    ...Brian...Brian...Brian get the calculator out!
    This comment brought to you from the Rosedale Mall studio by Hamm's Beer, brewed in the land of sky blue waters.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Kirby_Waved_At_Me's Avatar
    Liked 166 Times in 87 Posts
    Is there a limit to how long Arcia can keep playing in AAA under the heading of "rehab"?

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 534 Times in 347 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Here's my timeline estimate: Fuld returns--Hicks optioned. Arcia returns--pitcher optioned or DFAed. Willingham returns--Santana optioned. When the dealing is done, the starting center fielder is Sam Fuld backed up by Eduardo Nunez.

23. This user likes stringer bell's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

twinsnorth49 (05-14-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby_Waved_At_Me View Post
    Is there a limit to how long Arcia can keep playing in AAA under the heading of "rehab"?
    Yes, I believe it is 20 days (30 days for pitchers).
    Last edited by SweetOne69; 05-14-2014 at 03:27 PM.

25. This user likes SweetOne69's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Kirby_Waved_At_Me (05-15-2014)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast