Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27

Thread: Feedback on Twins Daily mobile

  1. #1
    Owner MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    8,093
    Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Like
    48
    Liked 1,581 Times in 822 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6

    Feedback on Twins Daily mobile

    Hey, I'd like to ask some questions about the TD mobile experience. If you have input on what you like or don't like about the mobile theme (which is the blue/white theme seen on phones and smaller tablets), it will help me establish what to change or add in the future.

    1. How often do you use the mobile theme compared to the desktop theme?

    2. From a usability aspect, what do you dislike about the mobile theme?

    3. What is missing from the mobile theme that you'd like to see added?

    4. What mobile device do you use to view the mobile theme?

    5. Any additional comments?

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Posts
    3,949
    Like
    85
    Liked 375 Times in 193 Posts
    jps2.jpg


    jk it is fine, however the ads are really really annoying. The bottom rail ones.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- L. Harvey Oswald


  3. #3
    Owner MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    8,093
    Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Like
    48
    Liked 1,581 Times in 822 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post

    jk it is fine, however the ads are really really annoying. The bottom rail ones.
    That ad is going to stay, though I'm going to work on alleviating some of the irritating aspects of it... Such as a "close" button and having it disappear entirely when the screen height drops below a certain point.

  4. #4
    Twins Moderator All-Star ChiTownTwinsFan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,765
    Twitter
    @Sheradoodles
    Like
    1,397
    Liked 1,904 Times in 1,113 Posts
    Mostly I find it okay using my iPhone and iPad although I find navigating between threads and forums a little more ... cumbersome. I wish on the mobile there were navigation buttons to jump me around

  5. #5
    Junior Member Rookie
    Posts
    19
    Like
    1
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    I don't use it. I mostly visit the site on iPhone5s and iPad Air, and I don't find the slight speed bump in the mobile site to be worth losing all the extras on the full site.

    My $.02

  6. #6
    Owner MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    8,093
    Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Like
    48
    Liked 1,581 Times in 822 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiTownTwinsFan View Post
    Mostly I find it okay using my iPhone and iPad although I find navigating between threads and forums a little more ... cumbersome. I wish on the mobile there were navigation buttons to jump me around
    Yeah, same here. I've been thinking of ways to streamline that but ultimately, I just end up at "use the back button in the browser" as the answer every time.

    I will continue to think about it but I don't see an easy answer to the problem.

  7. #7
    Owner MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    8,093
    Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Like
    48
    Liked 1,581 Times in 822 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricola View Post
    I don't use it. I mostly visit the site on iPhone5s and iPad Air, and I don't find the slight speed bump in the mobile site to be worth losing all the extras on the full site.

    My $.02
    Fair enough, that's why we offer the ability to switch between the two sites.

    Though your iPad should show the desktop site by default.

  8. #8
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,711
    Like
    1,159
    Liked 563 Times in 368 Posts
    I rather like the skinny design of the mobile version. I HATE the way the ads force a lot of things to not appear as I want the first time I open a forum, but it takes all of .005 seconds to scroll down. I use it exclusively on my phone. I use a Rezound, but am buying an S5 this weekend, I believe.
    Lighten up Francis....

  9. #9
    Owner MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    8,093
    Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Like
    48
    Liked 1,581 Times in 822 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    I rather like the skinny design of the mobile version. I HATE the way the ads force a lot of things to not appear as I want the first time I open a forum, but it takes all of .005 seconds to scroll down. I use it exclusively on my phone. I use a Rezound, but am buying an S5 this weekend, I believe.
    I've been trying to replace that top ad with something smaller but all of our "good" ad sources have been slow with mobile offerings. I'm hoping to resolve that problem in the relatively near future. It bugs me as much as it bugs the rest of you.

  10. #10
    Senior Member All-Star crarko's Avatar
    Posts
    1,219
    Twitter
    @crarko
    Like
    155
    Liked 775 Times in 407 Posts
    In the mobile version, is there a way to mark all forums as read? I'm missing it if there is.

  11. #11
    Owner MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    8,093
    Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Like
    48
    Liked 1,581 Times in 822 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by crarko View Post
    In the mobile version, is there a way to mark all forums as read? I'm missing it if there is.
    Nope. It's one of the more aggravating things about the theme, IMO. Once I figure out a way to implement it fluidly into the current navigation, it will be added. Overall, the navigation is the weakest part of the theme, though I've shored that up a bit with the new top-level menu I added a few weeks ago.

  12. #12
    Senior Member Triple-A maxisagod's Avatar
    Posts
    310
    Like
    36
    Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts
    The random number of times it sends me to the app store to buy some candy game, get's really annoying.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    202
    Like
    8
    Liked 43 Times in 27 Posts
    I dont like it because it doesnt have a sidebar of the recent articles on the main page. I dont even look at whats on the main page a lot of the time, I just want to see what everyone is commenting on.

  14. #14
    Owner MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    8,093
    Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Like
    48
    Liked 1,581 Times in 822 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by drock2190 View Post
    I dont like it because it doesnt have a sidebar of the recent articles on the main page. I dont even look at whats on the main page a lot of the time, I just want to see what everyone is commenting on.
    In the top nav, there's a What's New option. That does pretty much what you're talking about.

  15. #15
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    576
    Like
    0
    Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
    Having some type of 'back to forum page' at the bottom of a thread would be useful instead of like you said, having to hit the back browser button or scroll back to the top.

  16. #16
    Owner MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    8,093
    Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Like
    48
    Liked 1,581 Times in 822 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by edavis0308 View Post
    Having some type of 'back to forum page' at the bottom of a thread would be useful instead of like you said, having to hit the back browser button or scroll back to the top.
    That's a good idea. It will be awhile before I implement it (it will probably be 3-4 months until I get to the redesign) but that's definitely making the list.

  17. #17
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    576
    Like
    0
    Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    That's a good idea. It will be awhile before I implement it (it will probably be 3-4 months until I get to the redesign) but that's definitely making the list.

    Now that we mention it, the main page could use it too I think I am still used to BYTO having it. It's the little things, ya know?

  18. #18
    Owner MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    8,093
    Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Like
    48
    Liked 1,581 Times in 822 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by edavis0308 View Post
    Now that we mention it, the main page could use it too I think I am still used to BYTO having it. It's the little things, ya know?
    When the main site is redesigned, there will be a similar feature added, though the implementation will probably be drastically different than you expect.

    But yeah, functionality like that will be added to the desktop site.

  19. #19
    Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Posts
    1,035
    Like
    1,626
    Liked 487 Times in 284 Posts
    I've sat with tech guys who sit at double-barrel 27 inch HD monitors as they have worked on designing a website for a three inch smartphone… (not saying that's you, or that that's even bad, just a little ironic, probably no way around it)...

    Anyway, I love the TD desktop site and would be grateful if the desktop site remains an option for the mobile.

  20. #20
    Owner MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    8,093
    Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Like
    48
    Liked 1,581 Times in 822 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Hosken Bombo Disco View Post
    I've sat with tech guys who sit at double-barrel 27 inch HD monitors as they have worked on designing a website for a three inch smartphone… (not saying that's you, or that that's even bad, just a little ironic, probably no way around it)...
    Nope, that's pretty much the way I do it. My office setup is a 27" monitor, a 22" monitor, and a 15.4" monitor.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hosken Bombo Disco View Post
    Anyway, I love the TD desktop site and would be grateful if the desktop site remains an option for the mobile.
    Absolutely. That will always be an option.

  21. This user likes Brock Beauchamp's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    Hosken Bombo Disco (05-19-2014)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.