Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Article: Twins Minor League Report (5/13): Berrios Baffles

Twins Contributor Big-Leaguer Cody Christie's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Twins Minor League Report (5/13): Berrios Baffles

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
    Thanks for the report. Nice to see the very good starts from Berrios and May. I have to admit that I've been skeptical of Vargas' prospect status, but am very encouraged by what he has done in AA so far.
    It seems to me that May is going to be a very inconsistent starter, with some pretty ugly starts and some pretty dominant starts. I'm wondering how Twins management feels about that. It has been suggested that his best fit might be in the bullpen, but I think he has much more value as a starter. Even if his starts are frustratingly inconsistent, he can still provide a lot of innings over the course of a season and has ace-like upside for any given start.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Twitter
    @JimCrikket
    Liked 105 Times in 51 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The back to back doubleheaders are not the worst of it for the Kernels. Two more players left game 1 with injuries (Vielma hamstring, Kanzler concussion) leaving Jake Mauer with just one bench player for the rest of the night. That makes 9 players who have been on the DL already, including 7 currently on the list.

Covering the Cedar Rapids Kernels for
    MetroSportsReport.comwhile my alter-ego, Jim Crikket, opines about the Twins and Kernels at Knuckleballsblog.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    1 bench player? That should get the minor leaguers used to what they'll face in MN I guess! Nine guys that have seen the DL, ugh. That's just bad luck, up and down the system.
    Lighten up Francis....

Twitter
    @JimCrikket
    Liked 105 Times in 51 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    1 bench player? That should get the minor leaguers used to what they'll face in MN I guess! Nine guys that have seen the DL, ugh. That's just bad luck, up and down the system.
    Yeah it really is dumb bad luck. A lot of fluke injuries. Last night, Vielma twisted weird coming out of the batters box and pulled a hammy. Kanzler's head collided with Vavra's foot on a fly ball they were both going for (and Vavra held on to).

And yeah, you can't rule out the Kernels using some infielders in the outfield, which is very Twins-like these days, isn't it?

Covering the Cedar Rapids Kernels for
    MetroSportsReport.comwhile my alter-ego, Jim Crikket, opines about the Twins and Kernels at Knuckleballsblog.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
    As far as May goes I guess I would rather have an inconsistent starter than an inconsistent reliever.

7. This user likes Dantes929's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (05-14-2014)

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Two really good starts, one bad start....I'd take that ratio every day from a starter.
    Lighten up Francis....

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,598 Times in 831 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I've always been skeptical of Berrios because of his size and feared he wouldn't continue to dominate as he faced tougher competition.

I'm very happy to be wrong thus far.

Liked 77 Times in 58 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This is for Wednesday's probably starters...not Sunday...correct(?). Sorry to ask, Parker's article mentions Bartlett, released long ago, so woke up in a time-warm thinking it was May 14th, but reading things that may be think March 27th.

Member Rookie
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries

Good Pitching

Quote Originally Posted by Pitz View Post
    Thanks for the report. Nice to see the very good starts from Berrios and May. I have to admit that I've been skeptical of Vargas' prospect status, but am very encouraged by what he has done in AA so far.
    It seems to me that May is going to be a very inconsistent starter, with some pretty ugly starts and some pretty dominant starts. I'm wondering how Twins management feels about that. It has been suggested that his best fit might be in the bullpen, but I think he has much more value as a starter. Even if his starts are frustratingly inconsistent, he can still provide a lot of innings over the course of a season and has ace-like upside for any given start.
    Thankfully, the Twins acquired Hughes and Nolasco this year, allowing them to be patient with their starting pitching prospects. Unlike last year, where they would call up any body that might work. This could bode well for pitchers like Mays, who won't be rushed now.

Liked 122 Times in 77 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    I've always been skeptical of Berrios because of his size and feared he wouldn't continue to dominate as he faced tougher competition.

I'm very happy to be wrong thus far.
    Berrios looked bigger this spring than last to me. Looks like he's still growing. Good to see some success from him this year.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Two really good starts, one bad start....I'd take that ratio every day from a starter.
    I think I would take that ratio two out of three days.

Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Rosario has only 14 games left of his suspension!
    I would hope he is down in EST getting in game shape