Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Twins Move!

Senior Member Triple-A Paul Pleiss's Avatar
    Twitter
    @baseballpirate
    Liked 97 Times in 66 Posts
    Blog Entries

Twins Move!

If the Twins were to sold and/or relocated mid-season to another city/state, let's say Portland, OR, would you remain a Twins fan or find a new team to root for?

If you choose a new team/organization, which team, and why?

I probably keep following the Twins, at least in the interim until I can settle on a new organization and get up to speed on their prospects, and the way their front office does business. I'd probably always have a soft spot for the former MN Twins, but I'd likely find a new team to root for. Being that I now live in Seattle, there's a chance I just go full blown Mariner fan and latch on, but teams like Houston, Atlanta or Washington are also intriguing to me because of the young stars and/or the respect I have for their front offices. Hell, maybe I'll even become a Marlins fan because of the heinous statue beyond CF.

Twins Moderator All-Star ChiTownTwinsFan's Avatar
    Twitter
    @Sheradoodles
    Liked 1,947 Times in 1,139 Posts
    I'd be tempted to become a Cardinals fan. I live in Chicago and think the Cubs are pathetic and it would be fun to cheer on the adversary; just like I do now cheering on the Twins amidst the ChiSox fans.
    Last edited by ChiTownTwinsFan; 05-12-2014 at 08:18 PM.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,297 Times in 523 Posts
    I'd probably follow a few ex-Twins, cease following any specific MLB team itself, and go all-in on the local Canaries.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

4. This user likes snepp's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ChiTownTwinsFan (05-12-2014)

Liked 2,304 Times in 1,295 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Like the North Stars... I'm done.

I didn't follow the Stars to Dallas and I wouldn't follow the Twins either.

I'd suppose my new team would be the team that fills into my viewing area. Brewers?

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 49 Times in 34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    Like the North Stars... I'm done.

I didn't follow the Stars to Dallas and I wouldn't follow the Twins either.

I'd suppose my new team would be the team that fills into my viewing area. Brewers?
    I'd probably stick with the Twins (or Vikings too) even if they moved. I did stick with the Stars in the move to Dallas so they're still my NHL team. Had the Wild started within a couple years of the move, I'd probably have jumped to them, largely because Jon Casey (my favorite player on the North Stars) got traded from the Stars the off season they moved and would've been a good excuse to switch.

If the Twins got contracted and I had to pick a new MLB team, I'd probably go with the Yankees, Royals, or Rockies.

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,310 Times in 706 Posts
    Supporting the team that displaced yours is sacrilege. I get force fed the Jays a lot but I just can't bring myself to support a sports team from Toronto. Brewers and Royals are closest geographically and most likely the teams I would go to see live, so I guess them.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 464 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't even want to speculate. They have a 30-year lease. I'll be dead before they move.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

9. These 2 users like cmathewson's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Longdistancetwins (05-13-2014), USAFChief (05-13-2014)

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'd be a Twins' fan forever, regardless if they move or not. There are Twins' fans and Minnesota fans. Different beasts. And the Twins have fans in more than Minny... That's the "home team", and all good, but they are more than that.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 280 Times in 152 Posts
    I've been in this position twice before...with the Lakers and the North Stars. So I don't have to speculate as to what my attitude would be. I would actively cheer against them. I might retain some allegiance to players I liked for awhile, but I would want the team to fail.

Yes, I am a vengeful creature...need to work on that someday.

12. These 4 users like longstrangetrip's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Brandon (05-12-2014), chuchadoro (05-13-2014), ericchri (05-13-2014), maxisagod (05-12-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 61 Times in 48 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Whose gonna follow a traitor?

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 46 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I would remain a Twins franchise fan. It's been a love/hate relationship ever since my grandfather took me to my first major league game in old Griffith Stadium in Washington to watch the hometown Senators lose to the Detroit Tigers. Go figure. Thus began my difficult childhood as a Washington Senators fan, living in North Carolina. I was bullied by 11 year old Yankee and Indian and Giants fans, who taunted me by saying: "Washington? You pull for the Washington Senators? They are: First in war, first in peace, and last in the American League". What other franchise has a taunt all its own? I did have two brief shinning moments in 1987 and 1991...but the last three years of Twins' losses have given me flashbacks of the Senators of the 1950's:Herb Plews, Clint "Scrap Iron" Courtney, Angel Skull, Lyle Luttrell, and little Albie Pearson. Now decades later ,I can hear the sing song chanting: "Last in the American League, last in the American League" as I drift off into another night of restless sleep, dreaming of dropped pop-ups by Twins shortstops, a grand slams by J.J. Hardy in an Orioles uniform and Red Sox David Ortiz, and a bat flip by Go Go Gomez in a Brewers uniform as he homers at Target Field and slowly walks round the bases sneering at the hapless Twins' pitcher. I hear Gomez speaking in Spanish...and it sounds like..."pitch to contact". If only I'd been born in New York or St. Louis!

15. This user likes tarheeltwinsfan's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Longdistancetwins (05-13-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Well...I moved to FL (dont hate me) and I am still a fan so if they returned the favor I cant say that would change anything

Senior Member All-Star 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 198 Times in 97 Posts
    Just as I don't follow or care about the Lakers and the Stars, I wouldn't follow the Portland Pretentious Morons (I can only assume that's what they'd name their team).

Luckily, having lived in Dayton for a time as a child, I have a backup in the Reds.

Senior Member All-Star 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 198 Times in 97 Posts
    On the other hand, I could say that I liked Portland's baseball team before they were cool.

#hipster #streetcred #hashtagsdontactuallyworkonTwinsDaily

19. This user likes 70charger's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Kirby_Waved_At_Me (05-13-2014)

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Knowing so many of the players on the big league club and in the minor league system, I'd absolutely still follow them.

I don't think I'd care about the Brewers. I know I wouldn't care about the Cubs. No way on the White Sox. I don't mind the Royals or the Rockies, and I definitely would be a Cardinals fan.

But yeah, not a big fan of the question.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 464 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I moved to NY and continue to wear my red TC hat with the blue bill from the 70s. I will never root for another team.

I'm still a North Stars fan, but I can't bring myself to root for the Stars. I do root for the Wild, though.

I was too young for the Lakers, but I'm also not a pro basketball fan, so I couldn't care less about the T-Wolves, aside from the desire for my home state to represent in the NBA for a change.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    one team i could never follow would be the brewers. I am still bitter about the contraction thing and Bud Selig trying to buy out his competition on MLBs dime.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Monkeypaws's Avatar
    Liked 114 Times in 68 Posts
    I'd become a neutral, or a Red Sox fan. I wouldn't give a rat's ass for the Twins, or what ever they became anymore though. Nothing emphasizes the greed and business side of pro sports more than franchise relocation.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    What kind of hypothetical is this? Its the best time to be a MN sports fan:
    Twins? Locked in
    Vikings? Locked in
    T-Wolves? Locked in
    Wild? Locked in

If you only follow the big 4 sports, you don't have to worry about this for decades!

But I supposed the gopher basketball team could move to North Dakota...that would be interesting

Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have not watched an NHL game since the North Stars were stolen. I doubt I'd ever watch or listen to another MLB game again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast