Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where are we now?

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 665 Times in 376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    They could also be 19-17 if they reversed just two or three few idiotic plays in the field. That's just baseball. They've looked bad at times (the Dodgers and Cleveland series) and then they turn around and play the Tigers straight-up in Detroit. They're a middling-to-bad team and to me, that's exactly how they've looked thus far. They've looked entirely incompetent and then turned around and looked like an 85 win team the next day.
    Except we've been, by far and away, the beneficiary of bad defense more than the victim of it. Yes, we lost a game in Cleveland from it most likely, but we've also had a ridiculous number of unearned runs.

My point with the 15-21 was just to show how small the margin for error is and this is not a roster, or a team playing well enough, to give the benefit of the doubt that they can keep avoiding that margin.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,589 Times in 826 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Except we've been, by far and away, the beneficiary of bad defense more than the victim of it. Yes, we lost a game in Cleveland from it most likely, but we've also had a ridiculous number of unearned runs.

My point with the 15-21 was just to show how small the margin for error is and this is not a roster, or a team playing well enough, to give the benefit of the doubt that they can keep avoiding that margin.
    Sure. Right now, there's a lot of white noise in pythag records. The Twins could be 19-17 or they could be 15-21 with the same runs scored/allowed ratios. I was just pointing out that they're currently in line with their expected win-loss record.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 218 Times in 138 Posts
    I think low 72-90ish sounds about right. Going into the season I thought that the record wasn't as important as the development of several players. So far Dozier, Hughes, Pinto, Perkins and Mauer (and Nolasco lately) look more or less ok as future parts. Hicks and Florimon have been horrible. Arcia, Gibson, Meyer, May, Polanco, Buxton and Sano are all somewhere in between. Willingham's injury is killing any trade value he might have had.

I was also hoping that the Twins would get a positive longterm surprise or two - Danny Santana might be one. Trevor May might be one.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 463 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm taking the over. Last year at this time, there was no Hughes, no Nolasco, and Deduno was on a rehab assignment. Gibson was a possible reinforcement. Otherwise, starting pitching was grim. This year I see a brighter future with the starters. How many series have the Twins won in Detroit the last few years? They won that series because they got two quality starts against a great lineup. Reason for optimism.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 31 Times in 25 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    Going into the season I thought that the record wasn't as important as the development of several players. So far Dozier, Hughes, Pinto, Perkins and Mauer (and Nolasco lately) look more or less ok as future parts. Hicks and Florimon have been horrible. Arcia, Gibson, Meyer, May, Polanco, Buxton and Sano are all somewhere in between.
    I was right there with you. The upside is that the Twins are flirting with .500 with guys like Hicks and Florimon providing TONS of empty at bats. Arcia, thought to be a major cog in our offense, has barely played. Gibson has had many "rookie" looking moments, but he has also looked like a guy that will continue to improve and can be a part of the rotation in the future. Polanco, Buxton and Sano will still be a foundation to be built upon with veterans like Dozier and Plouffe.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
    It has been a lot of fun watching the Twins misfits take it to the other team, when no rational person would give them a chance. These guys are playing hard, I'd say maybe playing over their heads a little bit, but they seem to pull it off as often as not. Escobar hitting a walk-off home run to win a game? I never saw that one coming. Hughes out-pitching Verlander? (Yes he did -- did you watch the game?). I never saw that one coming. Twins taking the series from Detriot on the road, with Danny Santana and J. Pinto coming up with key hits? What is this, the Rochester exhibition game? I don't know about you, but these guys have me glued to my TV set.

7. This user likes Dave T's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Paul Pleiss (05-12-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A Paul Pleiss's Avatar
    Twitter
    @baseballpirate
    Liked 97 Times in 66 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I keep seeing posts about this year being more fun to watch than last year. Yes, we're scoring more runs, but remember that the 2013 club was at .500 the middle of May too. The real issue with the club the last couple years has been the way they tanked the last 4-6 weeks of the season. The club might well keep a 75 win pace going till the break, but a disastrous couple weeks and a September collapse could see the club looking at another team flirting near with 100 losses.

That being said, I'm feeling good about this team. I dont' know how they're going to "rebuild" with a bunch of wiley veterans getting called up and prospects breaking down left and right, but I've been pleasantly surprised by the run scoring and utterly perplexed by the pitching. Even if both normalize a bit, I think anything over 75 wins is a pipe-dream. That would require the addition of a SS who can both hit and play defense, and probably depend on the eventual MLB success of guys like Meyer and May. Having a competent compliment of OF types would also help.

Liked 397 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    I'm taking the over. Last year at this time, there was no Hughes, no Nolasco, and Deduno was on a rehab assignment. Gibson was a possible reinforcement. Otherwise, starting pitching was grim. This year I see a brighter future with the starters. How many series have the Twins won in Detroit the last few years? They won that series because they got two quality starts against a great lineup. Reason for optimism.
    Hate to be the wet blanket, but there is no outfield, and first base has been ugly. Plouffe has been ok, but good pitching becomes much less effective with poor fielding behind it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12