Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Miller: New Replay Rules Keep Gardy in Dugout

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 370 Times in 196 Posts
    Blog Entries

Miller: New Replay Rules Keep Gardy in Dugout

http://www.startribune.com/sports/twins/258770381.html

Phil Miller, in his Sunday Twins article wrote about how the new replay rules have kept Twins manager Ron Gardenhire in the dugout.

Of course, the irony is that this afternoon, Ron Gardenhire was just ejected for the 68th time in his managerial career.

Twitter
    @crarko
    Liked 775 Times in 407 Posts
    True, although since it was Joe West and not a real umpire, Gardy should get a mulligan.
    Mystery creates wonder, and wonder is the basis of man's desire to understand. - N. Armstrong

3. These 8 users like crarko's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

benchwarmerjim (05-11-2014), ericchri (05-12-2014), Joe A. Preusser (05-11-2014), Paul Pleiss (05-11-2014), Sconnie (05-11-2014), ScottyB (05-11-2014), snepp (05-11-2014), WLFINN (05-11-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 87 Times in 54 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crarko View Post
    True, although since it was Joe West and not a real umpire, Gardy should get a mulligan.
    Joe West is the biggest horses' pitute (or is it pitoot) in all of baseball. I knew he couldn't make it through a series without drawing attention to himself.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Highabove's Avatar
    Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
    They say in the Music business "don't quit your day job."

Blue Cowboy
    Last edited by Highabove; 05-11-2014 at 05:11 PM.

6. This user likes Highabove's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Tibs (05-11-2014)

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,287 Times in 1,748 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottyB View Post
    Joe West is the biggest horses' pitute (or is it pitoot)
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=patootie

Gardy had nothing to argue on that play. Not a thing. He went out there specifically to get tossed. The new rules have taken getting ejection out of his pocket as a tool to "motivate" his players - which is a silly managerial tactic anyway. Today, when he saw his opening, he took it. That the Twins came back and won today after the ejection was a coincidence and nothing more.

Between his ridiculous need for three catchers, his 13-man pitching staff (and even wanting 14 pitchers for one game), his mismanagement of the bullpen, and now this stunt today, he's lost me.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Joe A. Preusser's Avatar
    Liked 165 Times in 95 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by matthew0211 View Post
    Gardy had nothing to argue on that play. Not a thing. He went out there specifically to get tossed. The new rules have taken getting ejection out of his pocket as a tool to "motivate" his players - which is a silly managerial tactic anyway. Today, when he saw his opening, he took it. That the Twins came back and won today after the ejection was a coincidence and nothing more.

Between his ridiculous need for three catchers, his 13-man pitching staff (and even wanting 14 pitchers for one game), his mismanagement of the bullpen, and now this stunt today, he's lost me.
    Which game did you watch? The runner was clearly trying to screen the fielder when he got hit. That means the ump should have awarded the Twins a double play. I would have argued too, they got the call wrong.

10. This user likes Joe A. Preusser's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ScottyB (05-11-2014)

Liked 87 Times in 54 Posts
    Thanks for that!

12. This user likes ScottyB's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (05-11-2014)

Liked 287 Times in 145 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by matthew0211 View Post

It seemed like you were reading way too much into his ejection today, then I read your last paragraph. Now I know you were reading way too much into it, as you seem to be looking for more excuses why he should be fired.

Liked 3,143 Times in 1,344 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe A. Preusser View Post
    Which game did you watch? The runner was clearly trying to screen the fielder when he got hit. That means the ump should have awarded the Twins a double play. I would have argued too, they got the call wrong.
    I dont think the rules allow for awarding a DP, do they? An ump can only rule one out per ball in play as far as I know. For example, an ump can award the out at first to complete a DP after the force at second, but to my knowledge can't award an out at both second and first. I could be wrong...any umps here?
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 288 Times in 150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    I dont think the rules allow for awarding a DP, do they? An ump can only rule one out per ball in play as far as I know. For example, an ump can award the out at first to complete a DP after the force at second, but to my knowledge can't award an out at both second and first. I could be wrong...any umps here?
    Here's something on the web, which must have at least a 5% chance of being accurate, saying that this situation is one of several that give the umpire some discretion:

34. Whether a runner intentionally interfered with either a batted ball, or a ball in play being thrown by a fielder, to thwart a double play. If yes, the umpire will call out both the runner and the batter-runner on this violation.

http://www.baseballfieldguide.com/BFG_Judgement.html

Quote Originally Posted by Joe A. Preusser View Post
    Did he screen the shortstop maybe so, but it wasn't so blatant that it should be called a DP.........its not like the guy was standing there to get hit, he was moving toward 3rd base..........I think they got the call right.