Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gardy hinting at some changes

Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts

Gardy hinting at some changes

Gardy had an interview on ESPN 1500 today. He even hinted at some changes:

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/G...ike_this050412
    You can come up with statistics to prove anything. Forty percent of all people know that.

Senior Member All-Star Ultima Ratio's Avatar
    Liked 26 Times in 13 Posts
    It's an interview like this, honest and forthright, that makes me like Gardy. I don't pay attention to most interviews with Gardy due to the canned and repetitive platitudes i.e., "the ball is coming out of his hand well," but I really don't think the anemia of this team is on Gardy. You are as good as the players you have. We have sporadic hitting and abysmal pitching. Last, I am very happy to hear that Mauer may move into the 2-hole.

P.S. I didn't see the first half of the no hitter. Did anyone try to bunt (span or casilla)? Why aren't they trying to bunt themselves on more often, especially when getting no-hit?
    Man is born free, but everywhere he is in chains.

Bunting to break up a no-hitter is in bad form. Unwritten rule of baseball.
    You can come up with statistics to prove anything. Forty percent of all people know that.

Liked 345 Times in 196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    He was talking about bunting early in the game ... no problem with that even if it does turn out to me a no-hitter. (although he mixed it up with the second statement).

I also didn't see the game so I don't know if they attempted to bunt but in game chat, we've been questioning why they don't use the bunt more to try to get things going.

It'll be interesting to see the changes over the next few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    He was talking about bunting early in the game ... no problem with that even if it does turn out to me a no-hitter. (although he mixed it up with the second statement).

I also didn't see the game so I don't know if they attempted to bunt but in game chat, we've been questioning why they don't use the bunt more to try to get things going.

It'll be interesting to see the changes over the next few weeks.
    I figured that he meant early. I'm not against the idea of trying to get something going with a bunt here or there.

I agree, the message looked like it did get a little mixed up near the end.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultima Ratio View Post
    It's an interview like this, honest and forthright, that makes me like Gardy. I don't pay attention to most interviews with Gardy due to the canned and repetitive platitudes i.e., "the ball is coming out of his hand well," but I really don't think the anemia of this team is on Gardy. You are as good as the players you have. We have sporadic hitting and abysmal pitching. Last, I am very happy to hear that Mauer may move into the 2-hole.

P.S. I didn't see the first half of the no hitter. Did anyone try to bunt (span or casilla)? Why aren't they trying to bunt themselves on more often, especially when getting no-hit?
    I think I remember an early bunt attempt, but I can't remember the details of who or when, so take that for what it's worth.

I actually was thinking of starting a thread or writing a blog post about the "unwritten rule" that one shouldn't at some point in a game. I'll give the Cliff Notes version now: I think it's a stupid unwritten rule.

Super Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 1,215 Times in 725 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Last, I am very happy to hear that Mauer may move into the 2-hole.
    It makes sense, for a hitter whose OBP remains more impressive than his SLG. But hitting the ball on the ground to second a lot isn't a recipe for success in that role, as often as Span has been reaching base this year.

Senior Member Triple-A TwinsGuy55422's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Jamey Carroll tried to bunt for a hit early in the game. I'm not sure, but I think it was the 4th inning. He bunted it a little bit too hard to the third baseman, otherwise it probably would have been a hit.
    TwinsGuy55422
    "And we'll see ya tomorrow night!!!!"

Carrol tried early but the score was 6-0 & 9-0 VERY early and then bunting is just not part of a teams repatoire.

Senior Member Triple-A Steve Lein's Avatar
    Liked 20 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Not bunting to break up a no-hitter is an "unwritten rule" in the sense if you're late in the game and it's out of reach.

A buddy of mine basically got lynched by the opposing team for breaking up their pitchers no-hitter with a bunt a few years ago, but the thing about it was, their team had 3 hits and 1 run on the scoreboard and it was the 7th inning... He was trying to get something going for our team to tie it up or get a win, so be ready for it or don't complain in a situation like that.
    Follow me on Twitter: @HangingSL
    Spring Training Regular since 2010.

got a feeling that the moves that Gardy is talkin bout is the waivin of Clete Thomas/arrival of Komatsu.

Got to be the starting rotation. Hendriks needs to go down and Diamond needs to come up. Liriano should get one more chance and if he can't get it done - he needs to dealt, even if it is bargain basement. We can then give Swarzak a chance and bring up Slama or Guerra.

Lineup - all for Mauer moving into the two slot, moving Carroll to utility role and bringing up Dozier - why not give the guy a chance. Drop Maloney.

Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
    Gardy had an interview on ESPN 1500 today. He even hinted at some changes:

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/G...ike_this050412
    The Twins need more players that slide into 1st base Punto style and then they will win...

Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
    But the double steal with the Angels up 5-0 must be ok in your little unwritten rules of baseball. Especially again a team that is struggling so bad.

Senior Member All-Star Ultima Ratio's Avatar
    Liked 26 Times in 13 Posts
    I guess I am (and was) hoping to see different approaches (bunting) in order to get on base from our speed/contact guys. I'd especially like to see more of it when you need to make the pitcher move to get him out of his groove -- I guess that means while getting no hit. I can see why bunting is bad form if the game is out of reach, though I'd personally never argue for this gentlemen's agreement. It's like the so-called bad form of running up the score in football. I don't care. It's the defenses' job to stop an offense... that doesn't change from kick off to the final whistle. I'll also say that a foul is a foul and refs shouldn't change that at the end of a basketball game, for the same reason that umpires shouldn't change the strike zone at the end of the game or for different pitchers -- unless playing the yankees, then of course one should call foul all twins' hits no more than 2 feet within the chalk. If a pitcher is going to pitch a no-hitter, he should earn it, and if that means defending against the bunt (which is a legitimate offensive strategy and approach), so be it.... earn it.
    Man is born free, but everywhere he is in chains.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    BS on the stupid unwritten rules of baseball. If you can't stop the bunt, your problem, not the hitters.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Game

The game was on here (L.A.) so unfortunately I saw it. I once broke up a no-hitter in Little League with a bunt hit. The way they're playing now - nothing would be out of line.

Super Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 587 Times in 317 Posts
    I guess I am (and was) hoping to see different approaches (bunting) in order to get on base from our speed/contact guys. I'd especially like to see more of it when you need to make the pitcher move to get him out of his groove -- I guess that means while getting no hit. I can see why bunting is bad form if the game is out of reach, though I'd personally never argue for this gentlemen's agreement. It's like the so-called bad form of running up the score in football. I don't care. It's the defenses' job to stop an offense... that doesn't change from kick off to the final whistle. I'll also say that a foul is a foul and refs shouldn't change that at the end of a basketball game, for the same reason that umpires shouldn't change the strike zone at the end of the game or for different pitchers -- unless playing the yankees, then of course one should call foul all twins' hits no more than 2 feet within the chalk. If a pitcher is going to pitch a no-hitter, he should earn it, and if that means defending against the bunt (which is a legitimate offensive strategy and approach), so be it.... earn it.
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    BS on the stupid unwritten rules of baseball. If you can't stop the bunt, your problem, not the hitters.
    Pretty funny stuff, a lot of tough talk from the peanut gallery who won't have to be the next guy up to take a fastball in the back. If it was a close game then it's 50/50, that game was never close, man up and get a legitimate hit

Super Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 587 Times in 317 Posts
    Have any of you ever read the "The Baseball Codes"? great read, a collection of interviews from players on all of the insane unwritten rules of baseball. One from Jack Morris about a guy stealing signs from second and his response is priceless.

Liked 290 Times in 162 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Montecore View Post
    The game was on here (L.A.) so unfortunately I saw it. I once broke up a no-hitter in Little League with a bunt hit. The way they're playing now - nothing would be out of line.
    Be glad that you were not at the game. I fought 2 hours of traffic to get to Anaheim for the misery of watching the Twins get outhit 15 to 0.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast