Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Drafting a catcher?

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    So he's somewhere between Butera and Mauer in the batting average department. That pretty well narrows it down.
    lol. My 11 yr old is a better hitter than Butera. It doesn't even narrow it down in the general population.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    The Twins have a decent C pipeline. Herrmann (AA), Pinto (A+) and Koch (A) are all developing pretty nicely. Unfortunately the retirements of Phil Chapman and Matt Parker and the conversion of Tobias Streich to P, thined it a bit, but these three I mentioned all have starter potential in the majors. Herrmann can be ready as soon as 2013. The starting P in this organization is really lacking and there are not many SPs who are missing bats. Even Gibson and Wimmers are more like Hendriks-types. At this point, the organization does not have a strikeout starting pitcher above the rookie leagues (and not sure that they have one there; maybe Hudson Boyd, maybe Josh Burris if they convert him to a SP.) That's why I somewhat want them to take a flyer on Giolitto, if his arm checks out. He could be the most MLB-ready pitcher (even from the college pitches) and he is a strikeout pitcher. Another name for the supplementary round who might be a bargain is Matt Smoral (if he is going to last by then) who is a big 6'8" lefty HS P with mid 90s FB but is out of the season with a brocken foot... I think they got to go SPs and SPs with fast fastballs who miss bats. They need that really badly
    While I agree this organization needs a couple pitchers who can miss bats, but I do not want them to draft a kid who already has arm problems. I think Goilitto will be a wasted pick.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Dog Dungan View Post
    Fair enough, but he still is hitting better than Butera and has more potential too.
    Stevie Wonder would have a better average than Butera. Just cut your losses J-Dog and tap out.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 110 Times in 80 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Chris Herrmann will be the guy to take over for Ryan Doumit, but he can catch more and will be a better overall batter than Doumit is. Mauer is NOT going to be removed from catching altogether. This conversation has gotten ridiculous.

The Twins should, again, look at Kevin Plawecki for pick 42 and draft two pitchers in their first two picks.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 110 Times in 80 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Plawecki's stats:

156 AB, .372/.459/.583 with 17 doubles, 2 triples, and 4 homers. He has walked 20 times and struck out only 6 times. And he is a good defensive catcher. Plawecki has a higher OPS than Zunino. Less power, yes, but the BB/K rate difference is pretty vast.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 191 Times in 117 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shanewahl View Post
    Plawecki's stats:

156 AB, .372/.459/.583 with 17 doubles, 2 triples, and 4 homers. He has walked 20 times and struck out only 6 times. And he is a good defensive catcher. Plawecki has a higher OPS than Zunino. Less power, yes, but the BB/K rate difference is pretty vast.
    Seems like a guy to keep an eye on but you shouldn't compare stats between the SEC and Big 10 leagues (I think I have my leagues right). SEC is a much better baseball conference.

Liked 2,191 Times in 1,236 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have no idea who is good and who is not. I know or at least assume that the #2 pick should be pretty nice value.

That said... I understand BPA... I'm Ok with BPA... However... from a value standpoint... You have to draft Pitching and lots of Pitching... You have to stockpile it.

Here's why:

1. Pitchers are always ending up with arm problems... You need excess to replace the inevitable injuries.
    2. Pitchers are always ending up with arm problems on other teams so they are always looking for pitching.
    3. If you have excess pitching... you can trade it for the position players that you didn't draft in the first place.
    4. Pitching... Pitching and more Pitching.

You can do BPA for that #2 draft spot... if the next Evan Longoria is on the board but I'd draft about 15 pitchers in the next 15 slots if that's the case.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

SP

How has Tampa done it? And, Washington, now? Hard Throwing Starting Pitchers. That's their spastic imperative.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12