Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Game Thread: Twins@Indians 5/8 11:05AM

Liked 2,297 Times in 1,289 Posts
    Blog Entries

Game Thread: Twins@Indians 5/8 11:05AM

I wonder if Matt Guerrier is playing OF Today? Find out when the lineup is posted here by ChiTown.

/ ashburyjohn: I'm not ChiTown but here ya go:

Twins Lineup
    Brian Dozier 2B
    Eduardo Escobar CF (Originally listed as LF)
    Trevor Plouffe 3B
    Chris Colabello 1B
    Jason Kubel LF (Originally listed as RF)
    Kurt Suzuki DH
    Josmil Pinto C
    Chris Herrmann RF (Originally Sam Fuld listed as CF)
    Daniel Santana SS
    (Kevin Correia P)

Indians Lineup
    Michael Bourn CF
    Nick Swisher 1B
    Michael Brantley LF
    Carlos Santana C
    David Murphy RF
    Asdrubal Cabrera SS
    Ryan Raburn DH
    Lonnie Chisenhall 3B
    Mike Aviles 2B
    (Justin Masterson P)
    -------------------------------------------------------------

Things to Think About:

1. Defense -- Let there be no doubt about it... Defense was the difference in last night's baseball game. Let there also be no doubt that I care more about defense then anybody in a 5 state area. I'm a huge Colabello fan and I do not doubt his effort but that bases loaded TWO OUT double in the 3rd inning by Brantley should have been caught and of course Escobar in LF in the 9th and we just lost a ball game. BTW... Take a look at the box score... I looked in the "E' Column... The Twins didn't make an errors. The official scorer may have to make that declaration depending on the guidelines for such things. Reality is another thing entirely. This is the major leagues... you need players who make those catches. 3 Runs were charged to the pitching staff when they could have been prevented. We made a roster move to address these defensive issues when we called up Matt Guerrier.

2. Escobar in LF -- For a moment... I tried to convince myself that Escobar was doing OK in the OF... He looked to be tracking the ball just fine. Then came the 9th inning. What happened in the 9th inning... I've seen it before. It wasn't a slicing ball that confused him... He tracked it real well. He thought he was close to the wall and he wasn't. He was preparing to make an incredible catch and he didn't have to and the result was a leadoff double. It's called the warning track for a reason. You feel the dirt on your feet and that warns you that the wall is near... Experienced OF'ers know this. Oh Well... Escobar can run and he can track... If the Twins are not going to bring in an experienced OF... I'd like to see Escobar out there again to gain the experience needed to play the position. Playing for the 1st time on May 7th would be my main problem when Thursday morning quarterbacking. Especially in the context of how this team was built.

3. 11:05 Start -- That's Early... but understandable because they have a long flight to Detroit following the game. The plane leaves Cleveland Hopkins International at 3:30PM and arrives at Detroit Metropolitan at 3:36PM. On the West Coast the game starts at 9:05AM... Glunn, Ash, and Chief will be watching in their pajamas.

4. Game 4 -- It's a 4 game series... So let's go for the tie. I am filled with inspiration... None of you ever knew George Gipp... It was a long before your time... The last thing he said to me... RB... Sometime when the boys are up against it... and the breaks are beating the boys... Tell them to go out there and put whoever you want in the OF.

5. Rob Ford -- Nobody knows where Rob Ford is... He claims to be in a rehab facility but nobody knows for sure... He could be rehabbing in a crack house for all we know. He has made contact with a Toronto reporter and he said that "Rehab is amazing... It reminds me of Football Camp". Based on that... He must be in Jacksonville with Justin Blackmon... I don't know and I hardly care but... If he thinks rehab is amazing... He's probably doing it wrong.
    Last edited by ashburyjohn; 05-08-2014 at 11:21 AM.

2. These 2 users like Riverbrian's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

JB_Iowa (05-08-2014), mike wants wins (05-08-2014)

Liked 1,290 Times in 744 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    2. Escobar in LF -- For a moment... I tried to convince myself that Escobar was doing OK in the OF... He looked to be tracking the ball just fine. Then came the 9th inning. What happened in the 9th inning... I've seen it before. It wasn't a slicing ball that confused him... He tracked it real well. He thought he was close to the wall and he wasn't. He was preparing to make an incredible catch and he didn't have to and the result was a leadoff double. It's called the warning track for a reason. You feel the dirt on your feet and that warns you that the wall is near... Experienced OF'ers know this. Oh Well... Escobar can run and he can track... If the Twins are not going to bring in an experienced OF... I'd like to see Escobar out there again to gain the experience needed to play the position. Playing for the 1st time on May 7th would be my main problem when Thursday morning quarterbacking. Especially in the context of how this team was built.

Promoted to Center Field by Thursday morning's quarterback ... oops, manager.

4. This user likes JB_Iowa's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Riverbrian (05-08-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Twitter
    @LoganTibbits
    Liked 203 Times in 123 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Santana back at SS over Florimon
    I couldn't be a player because of bad eyesight, so I decided to be an umpire instead.

Twitter
    @crarko
    Liked 777 Times in 409 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tibs View Post
    Santana back at SS over Florimon
    Which means, with Mauer still out, Florimon is the entire bench.
    Oh, I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay,
    I sleep all night and I work all day.

Liked 221 Times in 96 Posts
    Kubel, Escobar, Hermann has got to be the worst outfield in the history of the game. Is Gardy trying to prove a point? If I'm Correia I'm just pissed.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,596 Times in 830 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by notoriousgod71 View Post
    Kubel, Escobar, Hermann has got to be the worst outfield in the history of the game. Is Gardy trying to prove a point? If I'm Correia I'm just pissed.
    God, I hope so. Gardy has every right to be furious about this roster.

The only thing that would make this better is if Guerrier immediately gets into the eighth inning of a one run game. Preferably against a one AB appearance from AROD.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Im thrilled that EE did so astoundingly well in left that he gets center today.

11. This user likes pierre75275's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (05-08-2014)

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Sounds like Fuld has a headache today which spurred the choice of Escobar in CF.

The Twins started Cuddyer in center for several games. Is Escobar better or worse? Honest question.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    I um, I, well, huh. I have no idea what to type about that lineup....other than it is progress that Santana is at SS.
    Lighten up Francis....

I think Gardenhire is just doing what he can....

I don't know that we want Florimon in CF either.

Escobar seems the most athletic of players available.

Good road trip for Rob Antony to stay in Minnesota.

I am almost rooting for Pinto to get knocked out of this game (and this game only) just to see what mad scientist lineup Gardy ends up with out there. Would he lose the DH and have Suzuki catch or would he bring Hermann in and throw another infielder into the outfield? The options are captivating.

Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
    Doesnt someone nee DFA'ed today for Matty G? Did I miss something?

Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 214 Times in 100 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    God, I hope so. Gardy has every right to be furious about this roster.
    His right to be furious correlates to the amount of influence he had on the Bartlett and Guerrier decisions.

18. These 2 users like Boom Boom's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Hosken Bombo Disco (05-08-2014), mike wants wins (05-08-2014)

Liked 90 Times in 36 Posts
    Wow, one healthy outfielder on the entire 25 man roster.

"Mediocre breaking balls are a gift from God." - Kirby Puckett

20. This user likes kydoty's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (05-08-2014)

Twitter
    @crarko
    Liked 777 Times in 409 Posts
    Sounds like Fuld has a headache today which spurred the choice of Escobar in CF.

The Twins started Cuddyer in center for several games. Is Escobar better or worse? Honest question.
    Honest answer; how would we know? And Cuddyer's not here. The only other options today are to put Santana or Herrmann in CF. Is Escobar better or worse?
    Oh, I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay,
    I sleep all night and I work all day.

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 489 Times in 285 Posts
    God, I hope so. Antony has every right to be furious about this roster.
    Fixed that for you

Quote Originally Posted by crarko View Post
    Honest answer; how would we know? And Cuddyer's not here. The only other options today are to put Santana or Herrmann in CF. Is Escobar better or worse?
    I'll take Escobar.

And the adventure continues ....

Plus I liked this tidbit:

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by crarko View Post
    Swap out Nunez for Florimon and you at least have another guy who has played a handful of MLB games in the OF.

There are a half dozen moves the Twins could have made to shore up this problem. None of them are great (or even good) options but they're better than what they have now.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    so, the one actual OF can't play more than 4-5 times a week! good times.
    Lighten up Francis....

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast